Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
I've had freshwater for years and I currently have a 60 gallon freshwater setup with live plants. I've also done brackish water but changed to freshwater because brackish fish are almost impossible to find. I'd really like to get my hands into saltwater. Doing a nano tank (5 gal - 40 gal) seems like the best bet since I don't really want to spend an ungodly amount of money and then kill everything by accident. I also want to know if I like it before I spend big money.

What's the best bet money wise for a small tank? I really like the bio cube/red sea max/eclipse tanks but I don't know if it'd be cheaper to get everything separate. I'd like to stay under $400 if at all possible, not including live rock or actual fish/inverts. I'll probably also be able to find a decent deal for a used tank on craigslist. I'd really like to have at least two fish in the tank. Or a mantis shrimp.

After having only freshwater, saltwater seems really insane to me. Does anybody have any links of book suggestions as a starting point on understanding all the pieces of equipment? I use two biowheels on my freshwater tank but it looks like I need to use something completely different for saltwater. Why is a protein skimmer necessary on saltwater but not freshwater? What are with those blue plastic balls? Is it just all the inverts that make those complicated filtration systems necessary? How do I know what kind of lightning I need out of all the gazillion possible options? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
I originally meant to say but accidentally deleted that I will not be setting this tank up any earlier than the end of the year. I actually just got a 130gal tank on Saturday for $75 off craigslist but I think that will either be turned into a terrarium with dart frogs or day geckos or a large freshwater tank. I've never had a tank that large before but it seems perfect for an awesome cichlid tank.

I highly suggest checking out craiglist to anyone who wants a fw or sw tank. I have seen some absolutely amazing deals on there for complete setups.

• Locked thread