Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
My old softy 29 gallon:

Currently I am in the stages of setting up my 180+90+40breeder+27clam+180sump/refugium setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
It's a bitch to scrape off the front though.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

TooLShack posted:

Hey Fang, is that GSP growing on your magfloat?

Yes, I just superglued it on and it did great.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Please don't put a mandarin in a 6.6 unless it has been trained to eat frozen, even then, please don't.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
You get fish and snails to clean up for you, plus you have a lot more beneficial bacteria that helps as well.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
You just get more critters. Waterchanges are kind of important too, but I have gone a year without a waterchange before.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Maybe you know this and are just using them for the cycling, but those test kits you have right now are not very good quality (especially the stick on inside one). You may want to invest in some better brands. Other than that, the rockwork looks great. What do you have for flow in there?

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
For breeding fish and non-reef systems they are fine, but they do not measure small levels as well. Not to mention that those can sometimes randomly expire and give you 0 instead of what you actually have. I recommend salifert or elos test kits especially wen it comes to Alkalinity and calcium. For the cycling, the stick on is great, but I just want to make sure you weren't planning on using it for a reliable source when it is set up.

How is the Koralia nano? I have heard good things but I have never actually seen one used yet.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Be careful with the green star polyps, they can take over a tank.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
I would say no to the sand sifting star and jawfish. The star will starve once it goes through that sandbed and the jawfish would not have enough sand to have a happy, natural, environment. Nassarius snails are always good, hermit crabs are good, maybe a watchmen goby or other sandsifting goby. You could also probably use some more water movement, I can't see any powerheads from the picture and a hang on back filter would not be enough. Also, cleaner shrimp aren't algae clean up, they might occasionally munch on algae but they won't just consume it.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
The snails would do fine, but even if your filter is bigger than you need, I'm sure there are dead spots on the tank that need more flow.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Skunk cleaners are much more entertaining than peppermints in my opinion.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

spixxor posted:

So...what's the best course of action when your two year old dumps a packet of gravy mix into your reef tank? :supaburn:

mashed potatoes

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Your skimmer should actually be cranking out some delicious salty gravy at this point. Skim wet.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Just checking with you, but you know that is a camel shrimp and not a peppermint shrimp, correct?

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I have a 30g with a clarkii clown and a sand sifting goby (this kind). I've had the clown since July or August, and now I'm thinking I want to get a second one. Is it too late? Would they get along even if they're not introduced together?

If you add one that is small enough, it should get the poo poo beat out of it and submit to the female. You risk losing it but if you try to get an evenly sized one you risk losing them both.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Wow, I can't say I have ever seen that before

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Wow, that tank looks packed. By BRS do you mean the Boston Reefers Society?

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
My mom found my pinkbar goby today!

In the sump...

16 feet below the tank.

My dursos have grating on them.

Wtf.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
acro crabs are my favorite :3: I miss mine

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Although there is no issue finding them where I'm from (besides berghia) I agree with him. Sea hares require a lot of food, but if you have enough fresh algae growing for it then it will do fine with shrimp. Sea lettuce doesn't eat so much (in fact it was recently discovered that they steal chloroplasts from their food and are actually semi-photosynthetic animals, one of the only)but they are extremely delicate. Almost all nudibranchs eventually make it into a powerhead and get chopped to shreds.

If you are looking for one of the "cool" nudibranchs, they are really hard to find and most often eat nothing but specific coral or sponges. I don't know if I would say it is worth it.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

MrFurious posted:

Does this hold true for the substrate munching sea-stars and sea cucumbers? Does anyone have experience with these?

My tigertail is great, it's just important that you have enough substrate for them, especially as they get better. As for 'sea apples' I would avoid them as well as any other filter feeding cuke unless you are spot feeding them or have a gorgonian/sponge 'dirty tank'

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Andrew Rhyne is one of my professors, he is a pretty smart dude

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
How about a refugium?

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Do you by any chance use phosban? The white pellets have been known to contain an aluminum bond which can close softies for some inexplicable reason.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Just don't expect the same as your halides, you'll miss them

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Yeah, definitely don't put the ocellaris in there. I think the neon and goby would be fine though.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Not really hardy, but if you want an absolutely beautiful fish for a 5 gallon a yasha hashe goby with a shrimp is always entertaining.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Tunicate, one of my favorite things about liverock. Hopefully nothing eats it and you get a colony.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Instead of using phosgaurd, which I think is aluminum based, use GFO. It's cheaper, more effective, and the aluminum allegedly causes some soft coral to close for no apparent reason

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
I've built a couple of varying sizes of those stands, they are very easy to make and if you want to put a plywood ledge on it you can give the plywood a coat of epoxy paint to have a rot-proof ledge to rest food, test kits, or whatever you put near your tank. Just make sure that it is completely level, emptying a tank after you notice a lean in the water level is a pain in the rear end but necessary for the sake of your floors and aesthetic value. You can also add a wrap-around drape or cut shower curtain to the ledge to make a sturdy, but ugly stand a hundred times prettier.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
^^^Harlequin serpent stars are neat, if you're into that kind of thing^^^

Umph posted:

Where as with liverock+fish, you replace the mechanical filter with a protein skimmer? What's the science behind that? The rock does much of what the mechanical filter did, but produces something that only a skimmer can handle? I've read the whole newbie guide you provided by the way, it's just a ton of information to consume, and they seem to cover full blown coral tanks.

I'm just asking out of curiosity, I don't imagine I would skip the live rock, might as well stick to what I know (freshwater) at that point.

Mechanical filters remove coarse and fine particulate solids, rocks (or any biofilter) house chemoautotrophic bacteria which convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, protein skimmers remove amphiphillic dissolved organic compounds which heterotrophic bacteria would regularly convert to ammonia and thus adding nitrates to a system.

What I recommend is to get a decent canister filter, a skimmer, and use dead rock and sand seeded from another tank. There is no reason to spend extra money on liverock when it's contagious. If you go reef all you will need to do is add the lights and unless you are going to clean it daily, ditch the canister.

Umph posted:

Last question I promise:
How do you handle water changes with a salt water tank as large as the one I've acquired? With fresh water I usually change out about 15% of the water every 10 days, but that's simple with fresh water. How would I manage 20 gallons of salt water weekly? Would I use my 30 gallon quarantine tank to mix it and warm it? How do you all do it?

I use rubber trash cans. My R/O runs into a 100 gallon bin and I mix my water in a 70 with a powerhead and heater. During the waterchange just use pumps instead of buckets.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

sweetheartjess posted:

um, not to be a total creeper, but where did you get your username? When I ask to fenagle a bagel that means "can I bum a cigarette." It's an inside joke between me and a couple other friends. WEIRD.

My name's in it and it was a school nickname. Also a bagel store.

Umph posted:

In addition to my previous questions, if I was to buy base rock and just chuck it in there, what turns it into live rock? Does it just 'happen' or do I need to introduce some sort of bacteria? Would a ton of base rock with some nicer precured live rock for show in aesthetically pleasing spots allow the base rock to turn naturally into live? Or should I forgo liverock completely and just let the sand do the work? I guess im under the impression that liverock looks prettier, but maybe I'm way off base. If they are the same type of rock, will both end up looking the same in the end?

Dryrock needs to be seeded with some liverock to get any microorganisms that would make it liverock. The coraline algae and all the prettiness will come later, but I think the wait is worth the time waiting and money saved. Also, the less liverock you put in your tank the less likely it will be for you to pick up any pests, get it from someone with a nice tank.

Umph posted:

I was looking at the prices for liverock, and with this 150 gallon monster there's no way I can afford to buy enough. Where do you guys buy your stuff online? I live in the midwest :(

http://www.marcorocks.com/
This guy's my boy. No rock is taken out of water and it's all ancient coral rock gathered from quarries on a reef pushed out of water long ago. If you want a genuine looking reef I go for this stuff. Also, it's very light porous rock for its size so you won't need to buy hundreds of pounds of rock.

Umph posted:

Can I sick to the basic setup if I buy a few low light tolerant coral? Or do I need a sump and osmosis thing at that point?

I always suggest reverse osmosis. When I am spending this much money on an aquarium I would like to know exactly what is in the water. It is a pain in the rear end to wait for but that's why I have my reservoir trash bucket. For fish only and the basic coral you might get by fine, or you could end up with a ridiculous never-ending cyano condition. It's the luck of the draw at that point.

Does the tank have an overflow box? If there is any way for you to do it, I would go with a sump. It's incredibly convenient, keeps equipment out of the way, and allows you to use an in-sump skimmer which are drastically more efficient than hang on back varieties.

The coral will completely depend on your lights. If you get a basic T-5 setup or power compacts, you will be able to keep a lot of basics: zoanthids, mushrooms, GSP, xenia, and most softies in general.

It's a hobby that is a lot easier if you start off right rather than going back and fixing mistakes. It's going to cost you money, but if you're going to be keeping a healthy FOWLR, going slightly reef isn't going to make too much more of a dent.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Yeah, actually I agree with that. I've just been taking aquaculture classes and we always overkill everything.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

Cowslips Warren posted:

For a seastar/urchin tank, would sponge filters, powerheads, and a protein skimmer be enough filtration and water motion, or should I look into a canister as well?

Strictly seastars and urchins? You pretty much just need powerheads. It's a grimey looking tank but that's what those guys love. Search some Martin Moe stuff it you're looking at diademas. I've heard him speak a couple times and the man's an urchin master.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Coral stop growing with a certain level of nitrates, either 15 or 25 ppm I think. You might get a lot of algae too.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
From The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology by Delbeek and Sprung:

"The nitrate level in reef aquariums should be less than 1ppm as nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N) ideally, but need not be maintained so low. In fact nitrate levels as high at 10 ppm nitrate-nitrogen (approximately = 40 ppm nitrate ion) may encourage more rapid growth of both soft and stony corals (D. Stuber, pers. comm.)"

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
A refugium works wonders for lowering nitrate to near sterile levels.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

Melchior posted:

I've got to replace the flooring in the room my tanks are in, so I've been trying to think of a good way to move the tank without disrupting too much. I'm thinking of moving the live rock with corals into my saltwater mixing bin temporarily, and putting the fish in a bucket. Once I get the tank moved I will put everything back in so it runs normally until I finish replacing the floor. Does anyone have any special considerations I should be thinking about? I don't have any spare heaters except one for a 10g tank, so maybe I'll fill that up with some clean water for a bit.

Rubbermaid tubs work pretty well for holding LR, water, fish, etc. You should go get additional heaters anyways, they fail every once in a while and it's good to have a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
I had one of them called a russet fairy wrasse that was a perfect inhabitant, the only aggression I ever saw was flashing my other wrasses and tangs but nothing more.

• Locked thread