Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Yeah, mine was the same exact thing but had purple and blue tips to the fins, they're just varieties of the red flasher wrasse. They don't hurt anything though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
You're going to want somebody to take care of it. Even if you have an auto top-off the chances are that it will fail for no reason other than you not being there. The coral can survive just off of light but the nitrate buildup will probably stop any growth you would get. I just really don't recommend leaving your tank without supervision for that long.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Is it a durso? If it isn't, make it one and it should help you control the gurgling.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Yes, make sure that the tube is thick enough to not make an annoying whistling sound.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Tell me about it. Learning how to do anything with a calcium reactor or ozone is like taking a full course on chemistry, bio, and engineering.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Nitrosomes convert the ammonia to nitrite then nitrobactre convert the nitrite to nitrate. If you remove the ammonia or nitrite with water changes the bacteria will have less resources and in turn can't reproduce as quickly.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Nitrate wont be removed from your system without plants or water changes. as soon as your ammonia and nitrite levels are down you can either add more waste load or you can try adding but the more trials you go through the healthier the biofilm will be.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Those are hydroids they are a ridiculous pain in the rear end that are really infectious and difficult to get rid of.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Yeah light isn't going to be a huge factor for the fish

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Any old credit card works but it's a pain in the rear end compared to a razor blade

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Yeah, nothing really likes fluctuating salinities, I don't have an ATO yet because of my irrational fear of them but I top off twice a day to make up for it.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone here use the Macro Rocks Argonite? Need to pick up sand for my 90g and it's almost decision making time.

I made the mistake of using Silica sand in my tanks, but I know Mark and have run my hands through enough of that sand to know that it's pretty much the best available especially for the price.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
If you're going to start a tank you might find yourself happier buying a new tank when your local petco has a dollar-a-gallon sale. It's not worth having something go wrong when you've already started.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Post it. Sometimes dated technology holds up alright.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

cculos posted:

A Green Star Polyp colony attached to some sort of toadstool (someone ID please?)

And (I believe) a birds nest coral:

Thoughts?

That's just going to be a plain ol' toadstool (nothing wrong with that)

The birds nest looks more like pocillopora though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Go with the deals when they come your way, sometimes you get a lot of goodies from downsizing people.

• Locked thread