Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supernaturalist
Sep 25, 2007

Forum Rat
Speaking of Motherfucking Mantis Shrimp, I finally got one! Still no name yet, but it's a female, believed to be a G. Chiraga.

right now she's hanging out in her rock pile in the Eclipse 12. I'm hoping soon I can get the hitchiker pistol shrimp out of my main display tank (Nano-Cube DX 12) so that she can go live in there. Any name suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supernaturalist
Sep 25, 2007

Forum Rat
Thanks for the name suggestions guys, I really love Nero and Colt as names, but since the mantis is a female, Pearl works best. I'll have to see how it works for her as she becomes more used to her surroundings. I'm still taking suggestions though!

Supernaturalist
Sep 25, 2007

Forum Rat

Aburke27 posted:

If I wanted to get into starting a reef tank and know next to nothing about the equipment would this tank (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~aquarium_tanks_red_sea_max_complete.html)be overpriced? Is it made with good parts and adequate equipment to start out with?

If you're willing to pay that much, the Red Sea Max is highly regarded as the best AIO out there. Personally I prefer the look and price tag of the Current Solana http://www.jtdiscountstore.com/servlet/the-396/CUR-SOLANA-34-GAL/Detail Other sites offer it at the same price as the RSM w/ the stand and hanging HQI light. The only thing I don't like about it is the "disco ball" style light, I would use a nice sunpod or similar lighting, it looks much sleeker that way, I would order the tank and stand separately and then also get a sunpod to put on it if you want to go with the solana, unless you like the hanging light.

Supernaturalist
Sep 25, 2007

Forum Rat
The same way you keep a freshwater tank clean, provide more filtration than the tank actually needs, don't leave the lights on so long that the algae takes over, don't overfeed or overstock and keep the glass scrubbed.

Supernaturalist
Sep 25, 2007

Forum Rat

SERPUS posted:

Morally speaking, fish don't belong in anything below 20 gallons.

Shrimp and hermits look great in small tanks though.

Morally speaking, some fish don't belong in anything larger than a ten gallon. Dwarf seahorses for example, need tanks small enough to allow for a high concentration of food in the water. Anything larger than a ten, and they can't find enough food to survive. Some fish are so small they require a small tank to ever be observed. Smaller species of goby and clownfish also do extremely well in smaller tanks. In fact my False Percs in my 12 gallon exhibit far more natural behaviors than my father's False Percs in his 150. This is because in the wild, clownfish rarely swim more than a foot away from their host anenome in their entire lives. most captive bred clowns, for some reason do not host anenomes, but kept to a smaller space they are actually being kept more naturally than in larger spaces. I cannot tell you how bizzare it looks to me to see those little clowns swimming around like they're some kind of tang.

Supernaturalist
Sep 25, 2007

Forum Rat
I would just buy marine salt because it includes the type of supplements needed to re-create seawater. Water softening salt is cheap and sold bulk, so I see why you'd be interested, especially if you are interested in a large tank, but I think finding and implementing all the supplements you would need would end up being just as expensive as marine salt, plus you don't want to risk crashing your whole tank because you tried to cut corners by loving around with its chemistry.

Supernaturalist
Sep 25, 2007

Forum Rat
For anyone looking for live rock, I HIGHLY recommend http://sealifeinc.net. Ken runs a really wonderful operation out of the Florida Keys. Most LR is pulled right off the reef in the Pacific islands, however all of Ken's liverock is aquacultured, meaning he buys high quality rocks, and puts them in his little area of the ocean for a few years. When he pulls them out again to sell, they are covered in life and really beautiful. He's extremely environmentally conscious, he's involved in a coral re-propagation program where he's taking rare corals that have been growing on his rocks and moving them back to the reef. He's actually working with a team right now to study how successful coral re-propagation is. His livestock is also top quality, and available at great prices since he collects them himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supernaturalist
Sep 25, 2007

Forum Rat
Ken is freaking awesome, I love his stuff so much my new 37 will be a Keys/Caribbean biotope made up of mostly his stuff.Living in Tampa means shipping big stuff like LR costs so much less!

• Locked thread