Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kela
Dec 30, 2007

Aburke27 posted:

If I wanted to get into starting a reef tank and know next to nothing about the equipment would this tank (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~aquarium_tanks_red_sea_max_complete.html)be overpriced? Is it made with good parts and adequate equipment to start out with?

The guy I'm seeing has a 29 gallon biocube. We recently went to a local store and saw the Red Sea you linked on display. The salesman was showing us all the features it had and let me tell you, it was niiice. Some features I noticed are:

Can prop the lid up with the Red Sea on hinges.
Lid is overall much more nicely constructed than the biocube.
Timers are built in, with the b.c. you have to go buy your own.
Only one cord comes out of your Red Sea..theres like a power station inside so its very sleek.

Just at first glance, the tank just looked a bit nicer and I was impressed with the features I saw just right there. I can't speak for the other (and probably more important) aspects like comparing filtration and lighting, etc but I was definitely impressed. You can get a biocube setup for about 350-400 and the Red Sea is (I was quoted 500 without stand) a few hundred more. The Red Sea to ME is definitely worth 100-150 more than the biocube. Is it worth 200-300 more? Thats definitely arguable. I'm pretty torn right now..I REALLY liked the red sea but the price tag is annoying. I'm just not quite sold that its worth that much more, so I'm still thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kela
Dec 30, 2007
I really like your rock-scape Hood! Looks good =)

Kela
Dec 30, 2007
Green star polyps and skunk shrimp!

http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/ That website has a good list with pictures of critters that can be safely kept in a nano. (Click on the "Information" menu at the top to go to the other lists besides coral)

Kela
Dec 30, 2007

supercheesy posted:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'd try to stack your rock higher so it was more like a pyramid in the middle. You don't want the rock extending all the way out to the sides of the tank..then no coral can grow there and it'll never be pretty to look at from the side.

You might even consider adding a little more rock to make it taller. I think they recommend 1 pound per gallon?

Kela
Dec 30, 2007

supercheesy posted:

I also have 40 pound of live rock, so I have more than the pound per gallon.
Whoops...I decided to interchange those numbers somehow =x

• Locked thread