Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008
I'm enjoying all the great info in this thread, so let me float an idea that I've had in mind for a while but I'm not sure of how possible it would be.

I haven't found much on this, maybe there's a name for it (illadvised?) or maybe not. I'm thinking about setting up 15-20 gal tank with just New England saltwater species in it. I've definitely seen this done in public aquariums (when they're showing off different parts of the world or local species), but maybe it's not doable/legal for a home aquarium.

To stock the tank I'd go to Coney Island and catch a couple small porgies or another small fish (maybe a little crab too?). There's probably a legal question in taking fish under a certain size, but people sit out all day at the Steeplechase Pier, and keep EVERYTHING they catch (even fish 2-3 inches long and jellyfish). Anytime I've been out there there's always a Chinese lady with a plastic shopping bag full of bite-sized half-dead guys flopping around on the deck. There are guys that sleep out there nights, and just spend their days fishing and drinking beer. They don't throw things back either. So I really don't think I'd catch any flack for trying to keep a couple alive.

In the summer I could use a chiller to keep the water temperature down.

Questions I have would be:

Does this sound cool or stupid?
I know porgies can grow to a good size, should I skip them, or maybe they would stay small in the tank?
Are there any species I should especially try to find or avoid?
What kind of substrate could I use? Sand from the ocean?
Would saltwater mix for tropical tanks work?

Any advice is appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread