Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

We have a big 105 gallon (400L) coldwater tank that's overstuffed because the zoology instructors went nuts. We have a super efficient bio filter so the nitrogen waste numbers are great but I'm concerned about the carbonate levels with all of those new molluscs and other shellmakers in there. What kind of numbers am I looking for here?

Also the guy I'm filling in for suggested adding CaCO3 solution to it if the carbonate hardness goes out of whack but I don't know how much I should be throwing in. I don't want to accidentally end up with 400 liters of cold salty acid :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You can use a two-part method to individually adjust Calcium and alkalinity, but they're coupled (along with pH). This write-up is helpful: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

How are you doing biological filtration? I've always wanted to do a cold water tank

Whoops sorry I forgot about this thread for some reason. Rather than mess with the calcium I decided to just make time for a water change.

I'll try to get pictures if I remember but there's a pretty wild complex of bioballs and other such bacteria media near where the animal chamber drains, and down in the refugium there's a jungle of algae that keeps things under wraps too. The last tech decided to overhaul the thing for the expressed purpose of dealing with the zoology load every winter.

The guy that we call to service the tank was quite impressed with it.

• Locked thread