Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dushkani
Jun 25, 2012

Rarr.
I come to ask all of you experts for some help. I teach at a high school, and last year I was moved into a new classroom with an enormous saltwater fish tank. The tank had not been well cared for for a few years (teacher that did not take care it, then a teacher that did, then a teacher that didn't, then me), so it was in need of some help when I moved in. The pictures below are the ones taken after I got ahold of the tank and got it cleaned up with the help of a student aide.

I don't have any pictures of it from last year, but it was awful. Most days you couldn't even see through the glass because of the algae buildup.

One of the pictures was taken from the outside of my room, so everyone can see it when they walk by. I'd really like to get this tank all prettied up again, since I'm told it was once beautiful. Where should I start? I know the gravel needs a vacuum pretty badly; I'm getting a new, nice vacuum soon, so that's first on the agenda.

I had the water tested last week, and they said the nitrates were a little high, but not dangerously so. In theory, getting the stuff cleaned off the bottom will help that.

Current tank inhabitants:
Blue tang (original tank inhabitant)
2 Clownfish (original tank inhabitant)
Pseudochromis aldabraensis (neon dottyback) (new tank inhabitant)
Yellowtail blue damsel (new tank inhabitant)

Also this little fellow, who I think was a stowaway on a living rock that I got a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dushkani
Jun 25, 2012

Rarr.
Yesterday I added two cleaner shrimp, two green crabs, and a couple of hermit crabs that I got for free because they were clinging to a fillamentous algae I bought, the name of which escapes me. The local pet store I go to was out of snails, so I’ll go back for more next week.

It’s actually 125 gallon tank with a remote skimmer system.

Dushkani
Jun 25, 2012

Rarr.
It's a pretty sweet deal, actually; I buy the supplies myself, but the school reimburses me as long as I have receipts. Our department head is one of the previous owners of the tank (one of the ones who took care of it), so he told me he'll sign off on about anything, as long as it isn't ridiculously extravagant.

And, I mean, I teach Marine Science, so it's all classroom expense, right?

Also, my student aide just found an itty bitty baby anemone! :3:

• Locked thread