Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Heyho fellow salty goons.

Can anyone here give me some good tips on how to remove anemones? And no, I don't mean aptasia, I mean E. quadricolor/bubble tip anemones.

I put one in my tank about four and a half years ago together with clownfish. The problem is, that sucker spawns an offspring about once a year by dividing, and some of the offspring tend to do the same after about two years. I currenlty have nine in the tank....one (luckily) walked into a pump two years ago, another was foolish enough to show me it's foot one day and I was able to get her out. All the other ones have their feet planted deep into the rocks, and the problem is my rocks are glued together, so I can't even take them out and scrub them off.

Of course, they destroy nearly all LPS on their damage tour through my tank.

What I tried:
- putting a plant pot over them in hope they move due to missing light => they simply rear their ugly pink tentacled head out of another slit in the rocks
- touching them with a silver spoon => they are not even interested in this
- pulling them => they simply vanish in the rocks, and if I actually pull too hard (thus damanaging part of their tissue), they simply spread into two the next couple days and both survive
- point a pump at them => I get the feeling the suckers even enjoy it

My plan is to remove all but two, because if they divide any more, I will have an anemone-only tank in couple of years.

Did anyone here ever have a similar problem, and knows of ways how to remove them? Killing is an option, but I am doubtful about that due to all the poo poo they release into the water

my tank has about 680 litres/180 gallons.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you're open to killing them, you could try kalk paste, like people do for aptasia.

It's funny, I've always wanted to do an anenome tank, and it's on my list for some day when I have room.

I would definitely be my last option. I already asked in many forums if people want them if they manage to remove them, but sadly, no one bites.

My fear regarding kalk paste is that - similar to aptasia - they basically implode an spill all their guts all over the tank....I mean, my tank runs since over five years and is very stable regarding water quality, but I don't want to ruin anything. The one that walked into the pump was a new one, small, and the tank didn't care (I also wasn't there when it happened), but the big ones are about 20 to 25cm in diameter, and I have no idea what happens if I inject kalk paste into one of them :ohdear:

e: I know a friend who has a pure anemone tank...it is rather beautiful, but he also removed quite a lot of stones so that he has easy access to their foots. He has to remove a lot during a year, but he built the tank in a way that he can get them out easily and sell them...something I didn't think about when I put mine in :/

ee: I just noticed something I might have to take a closer look at. I tried my luck again couple of minutes ago on one that showed a little bit of foot, but without luck. I damaged it a bit (not on the foot), but now my aptasia-killing c. rostratus can't stop picking at that spot, and the anemone already seems totally pissed (thin tentacles so I guess it's doing an internal water change). Gonna hope the rostratus has some BIG appetite in the coming hours....

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 23, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

To anyone with a similar problem: you can remove the big ones the same way you kill aptasia.

You actually only need a very, very little amount of kalk paste. Put it on their mouth, and wait couple of hours. They'll crawl out of wherever they were hiding and are basically half dead/won't stick to the stones any longer. You can then savely remove them.

It's sad I had to do this, but I removed four of eleven this way, so that at least the left part of my tank now is anemone-free and I can put some corals there again.

Note that - allthough they don't explode right away - the water stinks of dead anemone, so I wouldn't advice this for a tank with unstable biology. I'm currently doing a big water exchange to be on the safe side.

In a couple of weeks, I will remove another three or four. It's very sad I have to remove them this way and can't simply gift them to someone, but it's a lesson learned. As beautiful as they are, they duplicate the same as any other anemone, and can become a problem over time.

• Locked thread