Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
I think the old thread fell into the archives, but I've got some pictures to post. Let's try to keep this one alive.

We went to the fish store last weekend, and I wanted to bring this home so badly:

MOTHERFUCKING MANTIS SHRIMP!

But I don't have a tank ready for him :(

I also wanted to take this guy home, but I don't have a large enough tank for him, he was also 149.99

Here's a few pictures of our Mandarin, who we have had for a year this month. I think that's pretty good considering I was told time and time again it's going to starve to death in a few weeks.

Our clown making a rare appearance out of his 'shrooms.

We got a nice looking Coral Beauty, but he runs whenever I try to get a picture. Same thing with the Yellow Tang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Morbank posted:

What do you feed your Mandarin Goby?

He eats live food that grows in the live rock. We get a "kit" full of them every 3 months or so from the fish store. He also eats some of the wild mysis shrimp that show up in the tank.

They normally don't eat prepared food. He did look intently at a piece of frozen mysis for a few seconds, and I thought he might take it, but instead hovered away.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Morbank posted:

Cool, glad to see you're able to manage one. The kits, are they those squeezetubes of live food? I think I remember another goon from another marine thread posting them. Like tons of critters in a liquid solution.

No, it's a big bag of water with pods in it. They culture them and make you buy at least one when you buy a mandarin. One of the many reasons I love this store and drive an hour to get there. Their stock is great and they are just as concerned with the fish living as they are with selling them.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

I miss my blenny. He jumped out of the tank :(

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah, please don't put a mandarin in a small tank. Ours roams the entire tank pretty quickly, and we have a 55g. I would hate to see him in a nano cube or something.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

FixxxeR posted:

I just bought this yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/3sfqsg

Now I'm trying to decide what I want to put in it when it is ready. Any suggestions?

A bi-color blenny (it's on the first page of this thread) is a great fish that would do well in a nano. They look cool and are active. They won't hurt your coral or inverts and are hardy.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Psimitry posted:

I'm a fan of crabs myself. I have a ton in my 90G. But avoid them like the plague if you want to keep your firefish. Firefish seem to be the prey of just about anything even slightly carnivorous (I've even heard of cleaner shrimp killing and eating them).

I like watching them just demolish each other over loving shells. I have tons and tons of empty shells all over the tank for them to pick when they grow, but they would rather just slaughter each other.

It's sad and awesome at the same time.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

I've a ball urchin that looks like some of his spines are missing. I tested the water and everything checks out. Will they grow back or is something really wrong?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Cordelliah posted:

Urchins (inverts for that matter) are the first creatures to react to changes in water parameters. This includes spikes in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and temperature fluxes. Spines falling off is not a good sign. Do you have numbers for the water quality? Ideally it should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, temperature around 80F and a salinity of about 8.2. Also, do you have any urchin eating fish such as triggers or puffers? An obvious question, but I want to make sure we're on the same page.

Sorry I don't have the numbers, I went by the colors on the strip, and it was all in the acceptable range. According to our hydrometer, the salinity was at 1.023.

The complete list of livestock is a Finger leather coral, a Trumpet coral, the previously mentioned urchin, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, numerous hermit crabs, a Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Mandarin, and one male oscillaris clown.

The urchin still moves around and gets things stuck to him, and he still eats. Will his spines grow back if everything is ok?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Cordelliah posted:

Just noticed that I said the salinity should be 8.2. That is the ideal pH. Salinity should be around 1.025 for a reef tank. 1.023 is fine though. If the shrimp (especially the cleaner shrimp) are doing well, then it may be that the urchin is just ripping them off on accident (from moving around and getting stuff stuck to him). What size tank do you have? You mentioned that the urchin is eating. What is he eating? His spines should grow back as long as the urchin is healthy. I love mandarins. They are super cute. Do you have a green or spotted one?

It's a 55 gallon. The mandarin is posted in the first post of this thread, hes a green one. We've had him for a year, he's my favorite fish ever. I've never seen a spotted one in a store yet. The urchin is mostly eating the corraline algae that's on the live rock, and the odd bit that ends up on the glass.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Nah, the mandarin only eats pods, but I buy them from the LFS every so often to keep the tank stocked. It helps that the tank was established for about 3 years before we added the mandarin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

From what I've been told, crabs will gently caress with anything that comes near them. He looks pretty cool though, do you have like a 10-20 gallon you could put just him in?

• Locked thread