Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

Hood Ornament posted:

Mystery Coral #3, opened, hosted by anemone shrimp

The mouth in the center says lps to me, it looks like a duncan without the long tentacles could be stressed or not grown out, does it have a stony skeleton at all? maybe a little big, but could be a single polyp from a turbinaria species but that would be pretty weird.

Here is a shot of my 65g tank as of tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

Psimitry posted:

That's pretty slick. LOVE the Ric's and the Alien-Eye paly's. I need to get more of those.

Edit: it doesn't seem very wide for a 65G. Is it a cube?

No its a standard All Glass 65g 36" wide, the same as a 40 breeder but a lot taller. I am going to try and take some more pics to post later.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

Hood Ornament posted:

Yeah when it was closed up, it just looked and felt like a piece of bone, actually.

yeah it almost has to be a duncan you will know as soon as it starts growing especially if the testicles get longer. They are really easy to keep and grow extremely fast if that is what it is.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

csammis posted:

This is either the best Freudian slip I've seen recently, or the most hilarious long-time misunderstanding of a word ever :)

oh man i just got back from a trip to see these posts, i am going to blame this on my terrible spelling and Microsoft words ability to auto correct it into testicles...

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
I have had some take 4 or 5 days to open after fragging or other stress, I wouldn't worry until they start to shrink which could take weeks.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
I am going to be entering a photo contest next month that is worth $100 in store credit at a lfs. It is going to be judged by the owner and employees none of which are photographers, so it needs a lot of pop. I can only enter three here is what I have so far.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
Thanks for all of your comments. I was a little unsure about using number three and I was leaning towards six but its hard because i see these things everyday and my attachment to them seemed to be influencing me. so I am going to go with 2, 3 and 4. I may try and re-shoot 5 with more depth of field because I really like that Turbinaria the clown is in. And I am going look into focus bracketing, thanks for the suggestion. I will post some more rejects from the fish store I worked at too just for fun.

Psimitry posted:

I'd go with number 4, but I'm also a total Bluespot jawfish whore.

The problem I have with all of these is the same problem I have with a lot of coral shops - the white balance is shifted way too blue. It looks like the shots are taken only with actinic lights on. Try shifting a little more towards white and you've got some really great shots. Even if the shots are realistic to where it is in your tank, it still looks too blue.

Ya I know they are too blue that has always bothered me, but eventually I had to cave when putting them into contests because the picture that won last year was way over saturated and super blue it was total bullshit(I got second). I think I just post them that way now because it is what I am used to even though it is far from a natural look. I do try and replicate the look in my tank at least. 2x150w phoenix 14k...

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
The live sand probably will not help you to much. With one of my tanks I bought the rock local and it was only out of the water for minimum amount of time, when shipping the rock is out for a longer period of time. This will bring a stronger cycle(more die off), and I would say the right thing to do would be to find another temporary home for your inverts at least for a few weeks, they might survive but its going to be rough. I don't know how much a serpent star can take, I would bank on the shrimp not making it. After you add your rock some wait a few days run a few tests and then you will know where you are at with cycling. If you purchased your rock locally, not saying its better, your cycle would be less maybe this is what they were using as reference for the advice they gave you.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
Whenever we get blue linckias into the fish store I work at we lose more then 50% of them. If they have any damage on them at all they die within the week, even some that dont have visible damage will die. I just think its very difficult to get a good one. We have customers that have had theirs long term in 75g+ tanks though so it is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
If something dies in your tank you are almost always going to see an algae bloom of some type, especially if you dont have a skimmer. I dont think it was the anemone that caused the problems. Regular water changes with ro/di water and it should be gone in a few months as long as nothing else dies.

^^these are good questions whenever I lose something in the tank I cut back my feeding to an absolute minimum until the algae is gone, since I tend to feed heavy in general.

• Locked thread