Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Has anyone here had any experience with ordering uncured aquacultured live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater or KP Aquatics, dumping it into a tank, and seeing what crawls out?

About 15 years ago I did this as an experiment with a 10 gallon nano setup in my basement and some rock from TBS, and managed to maintain it reasonably well for about a year until grad school and a new baby conspired to cause me to neglect it entirely too much. While it was going, though, it was absolutely amazing, with some cup corals, small gorgonians, tiny brittle stars, a couple sponges, small feather dusters, a nice Christmas tree worm, a couple spiny urchins, tunicates, and more stuff I don't remember. The rocks themselves were pretty blah, just lumps, but they were loaded with life and there was hardly any die-off. Regular water changes and strong current seemed to keep it going pretty well, although added inverts never did as well as the ones that rode in on the rocks.

Anyway, now that grad school is a distant bad memory and the baby is a teenager, I'm thinking of repeating this on a much larger scale in my living room with a proper setup instead of some powerheads and a DIY PC light. Is this madness? Aside from that one experiment, all my aquarium experience has been freshwater. I've always approached every tank project by reading up and carefully selecting everything I put in, but there's just something so gonzo about this that I love it (and the fact that there's nothing similar you can do in freshwater).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread