Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
I hope this isn't considered thread necromancy, but here's my tank.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's a 44 gallon pentagon shaped tank. Right now it's fish only, and I need to add about 15-20 lbs more of live rock before I want to move into corals and such. Right now I only have a pair of false percula clowns that I've had for about 3 years. The female is an rear end in a top hat, and I can't reach my hand into the tank more than a few seconds without being bit, and if I take the lid off she charges the top and tries to attack my face. I had some green chromis in the tank, but the clown attacked and killed them. Other than that I have 4 hermit crabs and 4 turbo snails.

Unfortunately I started the tank on some really bad advice and I'm trying to recover from that and I think I have it headed in a better direction. I don't plan to add any more fish until I get the live rock where I want it and everything else right. I have the algae issues that I had under control and better lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

rally posted:

I am new to fish, and this thread has me very interested in turning my 50 gal into a saltwater tank. I have one question before I get my hopes up though. Are fish affected by stress from outside the tank? My concern is that I had to get rid of an Iguana because my cat will not stay off the top of the tank. He was stressing the lizard out way too much to keep it. My first instinct is to assume that fish wouldn't get nearly as stressed out by the cat being on top of or around the tank, but I want to make sure. I don't really want to keep an animal that is constantly stressed out, and my fluffy kitty isn't going anywhere.

Is this tank the former home of the iguana? If so, I would do a little research before using that tank for fish. Everything I've seen suggests that no matter how well you clean the tank, there will always be traces of urine and feces from the iguana, and will likely cause problems. I could be talking out of my rear end, but it is something that I'd look into before dropping a ton of money into a saltwater setup.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I have a few aiptasias popping up.

Would a peppermint shrimp mess with my BTA too much? Or is it one of those things where if you keep the shrimp fat and happy it'll leave it alone?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

My female ocellaris is a little bitch. If I even just take the lid off the tank, she comes right to the top ready to bite whatever she can. She'll even jump out of the water trying to take my face off. I'm pretty sure she's the one that killed my chromis. She doesn't get along well with others.

Glad she's only 2 inches long.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Any idea what this fella that just showed up today may be?

Never seen it before today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I probably should have elaborated. It does move around, and has two antennae. Although you can't see it in this pic, it has a white oval shaped spot on top of it. That was just a cell phone picture of it since it was handy.

I'll try and get a better image of it.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Nothing is missing or damaged, so I'll just keep an eye on things.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

TooLShack posted:

Is this new live rock and where did you get it? I know some of the cultured rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater has all sorts of stuff on it.

I haven't put any rock in my tank in about 9-10 months. I got it at Water World over on 9th and Langley (you're still in Pensacola, right?)

• Locked thread