Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.

Hood Ornament posted:

Pearl. :3:

Seconding this name, sounds very fitting for a pretty Mantis like yours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Laser Vampires tank is our tank.
I don't remember the name of the biomix we used, but it came from this package of live sand http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=16764&inm=1&c=3578+7390&

I'm worried about the inverts but we are being very very involved with the tank and are keeping up with water changes, I don't have a marine test kit yet-going to get one very soon.

It's an experience, we learn as we go.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Week 1 has passed on our saltwater 20g tank, so far so good.
We added live rock last week (Tuesday) and everyone seems happy and alive. We feed the guys some frozen brine shrimp and they eat it up.
Our only problem is we have something growing on one of the rocks that looks like aiptasia? I don't have a picture of it right now, but it's about dime size circular white boogar with tenticles. I do believe the peppermint shrimp is a natural preditor of aiptasia so hopefully it will find it to be a nice snack.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Psimitry posted:

It COULD be aiptasia. They're pretty distinct. You'll know one if you see it. They look like this: http://www.melevsreef.com/id/aiptasia2.jpg

I found a picture on google that looks EXACTLY like whats growing on the rock right now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Vitae/Glassy_anemone.jpg
That's not my picture but yeah looks identicle. It's labeled as aiptasia.
So far I only see 1, I'm keeping an eye out for any more.

I'll get more peppermint shrimp no doubt but I'm going to wait a little while before adding anything more to the tank. I know we pushed it too much too early by putting what we did in there so I'll wait to add more.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

It's cool if it is harmless, I'll leave it be to see how it developes.
I was looking at the tank yesterday and I seen something really weird.. it looked like a shrimp was floating under one of the rocks, I thought the peppermint shrimp had died but it just didn't look right. I got the thing out of the water and it was an empty shell. I thought maybe something got to the shrimp and ate him but out comes the peppermint shrimp from behind a rock just running along... I then remembered.. oh yeah they molt.

Also, the sand is getting some brownish stuff on the top, is that diatomes? I'm going to do another 10% water change and lower the timing of the lights just in case.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

So far so good on our 20 gallon saltwater tank, we've had 1 casualty so far and thats the peppermint shrimp.. we have no idea what happened to the shrimp except he disappeared.
Got a weird thing growing on the glass, its too small to take a picture but it looks like a little circle with small hair-thin tenticles? I cant find any pictures on google or other aquarium sites that match it.. so i doodled it.

The first (big) one is on a rock, kinda has a pinkish center, and is flat.
the second one is on the glass

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

ludnix posted:

What's surprising to me is that a lot of major coral sites still want to charge $40 for a small frag of it though despite the market saturation. Currently I'm just going to have to throw these away because I cannot find anyone to take them.

How much for shipping? My tank doesnt have any corals and if they're as hardy as I hear then I think one would make a perfect starter coral

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Oh god I got my first aiptasia :gonk:
Now to form a plan of action..

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Well, my LFS (Memfish) had a sale on some coral, 15$ for a bunch of cool pieces. I couldn't help myself.
I bought my first coral, ever.

Hopefully she'll open up soon, then again I just put her in there earlier.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Anyone know how long it takes for Zoas to open after being introduced into a tank?

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Can anyone recommend a good lighting solution for a 5 gallon tank? Right now I'm using a Coralife light (Coralife T5) but I'm not getting the kind of output I'd like, my zoas are very..faded.
Any alternatives?

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Dono posted:

what bulbs are you using? and how many watts are they? 2x T5 bulbs right?

IMO, T5 is great for that size. Unless you went with LEDs I feel like you'd fry the corals with a MH in a 5gal.

Yeah 2 T5 9 watt bulbs, 1 10k and 1 actinic. Maybe I just need to replace the bulbs? but everything seems dull. I also wish I could turn just the actinic on.. but its either just on or off for both bulbs at the same time.
MH would be a little too much.. maybe on a 10 gallon tank it would be fine if it was adjusted right...
Here is an OLD picture of the tank (I'll update tonight with some new pictures)

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Dono posted:

How old are your bulbs? I wouldn't keep a T5 bulb more than 5-6 months from what I've ready and I know my purple+ ATI bulb Ill be replacing at 4 months.

Oh god they're probably about 2 years old, no wonder. I'll first replace the bulbs and see how that goes.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Dono posted:

Oh yea wow, and if you have algae problems I'm sure those old bulbs are the cause.

Oddly enough I've got a huge breakout of coraline algea...but I'm pretty sure thats a good thing :pwn:

Ok got some updated pictures.
This was my only zoa colony as of December:

This is it today:

Full tank shot as of today

Edit: I just did a water topoff since I noticed how low the tank was, after the photo

Vitae fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 2, 2011

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

So I've been really wanting to invest in a nice lighting system for a new 5 gallong tank I've aquired.
I've been thinking about this:
http://www.aquaillumination.com/nano.html

It's pricey, can range from 350-450$ depending on what features you get, and for me it will be a while to save up for this. Since I really really want to start getting some nice corals, I figure this would be the way to go, and I'm willing to invest in it.. IF it's worth it.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Got a question for you all, the LED system I was looking at I really like but, as mentioned, is too expensive for what I have.
Right now I'm going to be setting up a 5 gallon nano tank, in which I do want corals, and I don't want to worry about not having enough lighting for whichever coral/invertebrate I want.
So, that being said, I am looking for a good lighting system. Since it is a nano tank it has to be able to "fit" the tank (it can hang of course above the tank, but not be wildly big). Money to be honest is not a factor, I'll be saving up for this and while I am not rich by any means I am patient enough to save for a long time to get a quality lighting sytem. I really like the Aqua Illumination Nano which would roughly be about 450$ if I get that and the controler, or 360$ without the controler.
A lot of people have told me that I can actually make an LED system that has the same power a lot cheaper, however, I'm not very good with building electronics or wiring, so I would much prefer something already prebuilt.
I'm also willing to explore different types of lighting, like metal halide or T5, but I still want something strong enough to not worry about lighting for any type of invertebrate I want.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Would this:
http://www.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54261
be overkill for a 20 gallon (tall)?

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

arioch posted:

Oh hell, it's a 250W MH with 4 T5 tubes. I'm gonna go ahead and say that's too much for a 20g tall. At 24" across I'm not actually sure what kind of tank at that size would benefit from that much power.

Also, supposedly, Odyssea fixtures have a terrible terrible track record.

Welp, problem is it's already on its way due to my raging stupidity. MH's are not dimmable are they?

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

arioch posted:

Nope. On the bright side (heh) you can probably keep SPS and high light loving zoos and crap on the bottom of the tank.

I see what you did there :v:
Actually I was wanting to keep some high light requirement corals, pretty sure with that much output I could get a clam, I've always wanted a clam..

Also, I'm going to pick up a hanging kit from it, so I can hang it at least really high off of the tank.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

WELP!
I ended up getting that MH system from AquaTraders, and depending on their next response to the issue I've encountered I may or may not recommend them in the future.
I can understand getting a bad part here and there, and for the price I got the unit at I'm not surprised in the least something broke, here's hoping they replace it without any issues.
Basically, I got the unit in today, unpacked and connected everything, everything looked great, powered on and was very very pleased with the light output (holy crap I've never seen a MH system before, WOAH it was bright!)
Left it on for about an hour to check and make sure everything was working as normal, was farting around on Facebook and heard a loud POP and smelled burning.
Last time I remember that happening is when I plugged in a power cord backwards in a floppy drive, yuck.
I immediately turned off and unplugged everything, the ballast was so hot it burned my hands, and judging from the smell it's definitely a burned ballast. I've send an email to AquaTraders, lets see what happens.

The saying you get what you pay for, really really is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

optikalus posted:

Well, consider it a blessing :) Their ballasts are pretty junk (I had two 250s on my Odyssea dual HQI). Replace the ballast with a icecap and then replace the bulb with an Ushio or something and you'll have a great fixture. After owning an Odyssea for a few years, they're only good for their housing.

I started reading more about their ballasts after that incident, been hearing the same thing from a lot of people, good fixtures but bad ballasts and bulbs. I still have a CF fixture I bought from them about 4 years ago which is still going great, so never thought anything of it when I bought this new fixture.
I hope they still send a replacement, but I probably will go ahead and invest in another ballast anyway.

Edit: Question, when I replace the MH bulb what spectrum should I go with? 10k 15k 20k?

Vitae fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 7, 2011

• Locked thread