Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Day two of a new 37g reef tank. 35lbs of live rock and two bags of live sand were added yesterday when the water hit correct parameters. PH/salinity/temperature are all golden. The NH3 test yesterday showed 0.0 but today it's showing 2ppm. Looks to be a fast cycle hopefully. I'll add the other powerhead soon. That isn't the actual light either, just a cheap led till the bigger one gets here tomorrow.

Also, is this a nem sprouting already?

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are actually two of them on two separate, uncured live rocks. I just don't want to kill anything cool but if it's a pest then obviously I will.

Edit: after a little research, I have come to the hypothesis that it is a Majano nem, which is also a pest. Bummer, their bioluminescence under night lights is really pretty.

Edit 2: aaaaand they're gone. Since the rock had nothing but those on them, I was able to just take the whole rock to the sink and cleanly remove them with needle/kalk and then a turkey injector. Hopefully there are no more hiding.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 14, 2015

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just picked up some syringes and a big cheap tub of pickling lime. At least I'm better equipped to deal with them.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Little update after a couple weeks. Everything is doing pretty well. Just starting slow since this is my first reef and I'm finding out 37g is a lot of room.

Cotton Candy 5 head I got about 4 days ago. I'm a little concerned about the top two heads, they are splitting and look rough. Any thoughts?

Would love some feed back on anything you guys and gals think should be addressed.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edit: moved it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you!

Edit 2: looking happier already.

I thought that rock behind was maybe being taken over by coralline algae, but I'm pretty sure it's cyano. I'm suspending anything being fed but the flake of new era algae flakes I put in daily for the fish. Is that too frequent? I think I'm about to learn a nasty lesson about reef keeping.

Edit 3: LFS took my dollars and I lit that rock up with current. Here's hoping!

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 29, 2015

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Been a couple weeks. I've learned a lot so far and having a lot of fun. Currently I am setting up a 15g sump. It's not connected yet.

Sump has a skimmer intake, rubble, 5" live sand bed and a chaeto chamber. Display has 2 clowns, 2 firefish and a lawn mower blenny. Small corals and a fire clam and then the cleaning crew.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
It came as a flame scallop of course. It's listed as actually being a clam but looks like a scallop? It's definitely the one with bioluminescence. According to the LFS and some reading it just needs phyto. Seems happy enough so far. I'm going to do my best to care for it. Truly a magnificent critter!

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 10, 2015

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
6 months later...I still have a lovely camera on my phone :(

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 22, 2015

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thank you and no, he's a sweetie. Never had any problems except when I added the yellow tang, They duked it out for a week or so, now they're best friends. 75g by the way.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

\/\/\/

Thank you. It's my first reef. 75g. I put a 48" reefbreeder photon v2 on it recently.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 3, 2016

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

If you don't have a drilled tank you don't do marine.

Period. Full stop. Don't even try. You'll hear stories about people that managed it, don't listen to them.

You're wrong. External overflows work fine and your contrite statement is obnoxious.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp. My bad bros.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

No I was serious.

If you know of a reliable way to shut off return pumps on siphon loss that doesn't involve janky poo poo like floats, please share.

I've never, ever had anything close to a siphon loss using Eschopps external overflows. Not sure what else to say here. I flooded once but that was because a pair of trochus snails got into my downpipe before I learned to use gutter guard. This is something that is just as likely to happen with an internal overflow.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Well the plan was to chisel out sections of the rock with coral, and try to get it to no more than 1" or so thick. Then I'd use the saw to trim away basically everything that isn't completely clean. I'm going to ask a local reef group about a band saw, but I'd hate to somehow transfer bryopsis to them. I'm not in a rush though, so I think my first step is going to be just to chisel out the pieces, toss the remaining rock, and then keep up with manual removal of the bryopsis for a while.

All of my existing rock is going in the trash. I thought about going the acid bath route, but peace of mind is worth tossing less than $80 of rock. I picked up 120 or so pounds of dry rock the other day, and it is soaking in bleach solution right now. After I get it well rinsed of bleach, it's going to cook in a Brute with a mag drive and some salt water for a few months. Anything going in the new tank will get a nice long quarantine. I might even set this 40g emergency tank up more permanently as a frag grow out / QT tank, so I can keep a better eye on things before it goes in DT. This bryopsis has to have come in on the last batch of frags I bought earlier in the summer, even though I gave them a coral dip.

Though a slow answer to bryopsis, I've rid myself of it using Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner and manual removal. Maybe it could help you too. As for your coral, a dremel with a cutting wheel works pretty well. Might be an easier answer than the tile saw.

As for myself, I was fragging my mummy eye chalice this evening with a hammer and a razor blade and managed to hammer the tip of the razor right through the tip of my finger. Hopefully chalices enjoy human blood!

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Blood sacrifices are always a good thing IMO.

I've got a dremel, so getting a diamond blade and trying that first makes the most sense.

This is the second reef related "injury" I've sustained since starting. The first was when I didn't want to listen to anyone regarding long spine urchins and promptly jammed my forearm into the fucker. That sucked. He went back to the fish store pretty quick.

Dremel's are a lifesaver in this hobby. Just be sure and wear goggles! Khorne frowns on eyeball blood.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

All fun and games until you find the thing from Stranger Things growing in your tank now.

:laffo: Given the unpredictability of life springing up inside these tanks, this wouldn't even phase me. Besides, there's always something more evil to compete. Say, a peacock mantis?

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 19, 2016

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's why every body that wants a reef tank should just get a 180 gallon and call it a day! :)

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

When I first started my 75g mixed reef I thought it was bigger than it would ever need to be. Now it's completely full and I wish I had gone bigger.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it acrylic? Any particular reason you don't scrape all that coralline off?

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought a used (barely, he said) gyre xf150 from a member of my local reefing club. Didn't work when I got it home. Upon disassembly I found a pair of cracks in the magnetic shaft. I submitted a ticket to Maxspect but since it's second hand I doubt they're going to fix it. Buying a new shaft will make it cost almost as much as a new pump. I'd ask for my money back but somehow I sense this is going to be a problem. Yikes. That's the last piece of used gear I ever buy for this hobby.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I try not to make assumptions about people like that but I heavily suspect you are correct about his motivations. This is my first experience with a maxspect product. If I replace the shaft, do you think the pump will work? I'd rather not spend even more money on something that is hopeless.

\/\/\/

Couldn't agree more. Lesson learned.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 3, 2017

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maxspect wouldn't touch it since it was second hand. Luckily the club member that sold it to me followed through and ordered me a replacement shaft. Ah well, could have gone a lot worse!

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

Cool, thanks. I should be able to keep everything wet in buckets. Our rock is all pretty small so it should be safe. I'll bring some old sand in to seed the new stuff.

Just silicone'd up the baffles and patch in the sump, and got the Eshopps Eclipse overflow in the mail yesterday! I'm picking up the plumbing supplies today, and drilling the tank tonight or tomorrow. Any tips for drilling? It's a bowfront so I don't think I'll be able to lay it flat. I was going to do it standing up.

If you can get a small submersible pump and use a line converter down to 1/4" and then hook that right above where you're drilling so it runs slowly over the blade and glass, you're golden. Just go slow.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
A couple peppermint shrimp would probably decimate whatever population you have. They can be a bit pesky about eating coral too though. If you have any more aiptasia pop up after your culling, perhaps consider being diligent with some aiptasia-x and add a shrimp or two to get the ones you're likely not seeing on the back/undersides of rocks. I had a handful pop up within the first six months or so but by staying on top of them I've been clear for over a year now.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm really hoping it splits soon!

Why wait? Give it a week to get used to the new environment and cut it into quarters with a razor. Rhodactis are tougher than you might think. I've turned my nice gold/green/red one into five seperate shrooms that are all about the size of the original inside of three months.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Getting closer to moving my freshwater 120g downstairs and turning it into my new reef tank. I really hate the factory stand this tank came with, so Sunday afternoon I threw this together. 2x6 and 2x4 put together with pocket screws, 36" tall so plenty of room for sump and equipment. I'll get it sanded down, then primed and painted this week.

What is all that yellow stuff? Nice work. Woodworking is hard as hell.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dwarf morays are a cool idea but judging by the reality I've seen in my local club, they don't tend to work out. One lady bought a pair and they both squirmed out her glass lidded top through the plastic attachment piece on the back. The other pair I saw purchased both decided to swim through the same MP10 within 24 hours of each other. Just my two cents.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
How big of a tank? You got any pictures? I love eels but they wouldn't play nicely with my reef tanks.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've done 2x double dose treatments of fluconozole only to have bryopsis come back weeks later. It has stayed in my longer photo period sump for over a year though.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

why don't you nerds get some dank nugs and watch fishcenter live? http://www.adultswim.com/videos/fishcenter/

cuz i'd rather extract my dank nugz and watch my own reef????????

you suuuuuuck

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't say with a certainty but my cannabis consumption often seems to positively correlate with how much reef work I'm doing. hth

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Motherfucker. I had bought a pair of Swallowtail Angel's and had them in QT for 2 weeks with copper and prazi. They had both been in the copper bath for a month straight at the LFS, a fact I observed with my own eyeballs. Threw them in the DT last week and sure as poo poo one of them cropped up with ich. I've never had a fish in my display with it. Everyone else is still super fat and happy and not catching it. I'm going to try some Dr. G's anti-parasite cavier and keep feeding rod's daily. Not much point in pulling her out at this point because it's going to probably push her over the edge and it's too late for my tank. Oh well, we'll see what happens. She seems to have a few less spots every day and the pair of cleaner shrimp have basically been riding her around like a surfboard. Hopefully the food and low stress can get her immune system back up and I can get back to having a mated pair of Genicanthus. :(

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oo please do! That tank is kind of spooky. I want to see more.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nice! Did you add a t5 bulb to a t5 fixture?

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ah, right on. I tried the 50/50 Tech strip a while back and didn't like it much. The XHO on the other hand is much brighter. My primary lights are ReefBreeder LED's that I've done what you did but mine has an added 1xATI Coral Pro.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anony Mouse posted:

I had a moderate aiptasia infestation (dozens of nems) when I first started my 75 gallon. 3 peppermints and some liberal use of Aiptasia-X knocked it out to the point that I never saw another nem. Did I just get lucky?

No, same exact story and tank size here. Haven't seen one in a couple years.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just filled up my new p650.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cleared up a little.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread