Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Sweet just found this thread as I normally browse Reef Central and Ultimate Reef (UK site.)

I have previously had 24" cube, 3ft and 6ft tanks all marine and had to sell my stuff due to moving. As I am now settled I want a new tank! Were having a baby in a couple of months so whilst looking for something suitable a freebie was offered... Its an octagonal tank about 5.5 gallons.

I am going to be doing a crazy aquascape and a desk lamp retro fit, so its all going to be fun!

Has anyone here adapted a desk lamp for aquarium use? I am looking at these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-Spotlight...#ht_1352wt_1139 which i think will be similar to using T5's but we will see.

Filtration on such a tiny tank will be an internal filter, running floss and carbon. No skimmer or sump just regular water changes ~25% a week...

stocking wise I am looking at some hardy corals and probably a clown if i can find a tank bred one for not silly money. Perhaps a goby to clean the sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

kaosAG posted:

I believe these work in standard light socket thingies. Lots of people are using them on smaller tanks nowadays.

Thanks for that. Just need to find a UK Retailer who doesn't want to charge the earth!

edit: This looks good but £70! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREE-QUAD-SPE...#ht_4342wt_1139

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 14, 2011

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

a duck posted:

Well, there isn't much room on my rockwork since I only have a 24G tank and most of it is taken up by my hammer+frogspawn, and I know they all have decently long sweeper tentacles. I'd hate to get rid of either. I highly doubt it's relevant, but he(the goby) only seems to do it on nights that I'm home. The other day I was gone for 2 days and I came back and he was fine, but the next night after I got back he did it again. I've just been unburying the coral and putting him up higher on the sand, hoping eventually the goby would run out of sand on the other side and quit, but I know having a 4+ inch sandbed can lead to other problems...

can you not remove a load of the sand?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Any advice on heaters?

Buy two! So if one fails you don't loose everything! Also look at the ones that have a thermal cut off cause mixing up a water change and leaving it on will shatter a normal one pretty fast. Ask me how I know!

So water is now circulating in my riverreef 94 woop woop

Trying prodibio and will review it as I see fit.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Got a new fish The dwarf lion, called Tyrion. :hawaaaafap:Getting on well with my Valentini puffer too which is nice.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Woo new tank all setup! Got a storming deal on a used Aquaone 275 cube at £150. Includes t5 lighting sump skimmer the lot :)

Now hot to attempt my bonsai inspired scape with some base rock pipe and foam :/ wish me luck goons!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I know some wrasses get loving massive! The fairy off hand I can't remember. Cardinals are awesome :)

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
So I got an interview at my lfs, it's a massive garden centre, which is nice. Need to brush up on my tropical knowledge though as been Marin wonky for 10+ years!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Got a trial at my lfs on Friday... First job is sorting the brown coral display!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
My mrs wants a warty angler. Have a 94litre all in one I am gonna set up for one but not sure what else he can live with. Presumably anything he can eat he will so shrimp, garden eels and other fish are pretty much out :( I really want some garden eels.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I want a garden eel tank and she wants an angler... That's another tank I need to ebay then ;) working at a lfs has some real benefits :)

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Finally started sorting my tank out after months of neglect. I worked in the trade and got a bit pissed off with it all. But now I am free and got the itch back!

Small issue is a weird algae I am having. It's kinda brown and slimy but also fibrous.

http://imgur.com/CWC1uUa
http://imgur.com/hnQeYx8

I am thinking dinos probably.

It's a 275 cube with sump. Running a new bubble magus c7. I am looking for some macro as I have a grow bulb on the way and thinking a fuge will help. Nitrates are way high but phosphates and ammonia are zero.

Oh and got a new fish! A nice 5" humu humu called manu.

http://imgur.com/OfnKO8l

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Sorry uk goon! 275 litres! I will post some ftw when I get this fecking brown poo poo sorted.

Tank is 60gal with sump 30gal. 275 gallons is the dream :cheers:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Shiiiit

http://imgur.com/62R7sX8

Thinking more rock needed. I would dearly love to try the marine pure blocks but hahaha at uk prices.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Never had success with small gobies unless in a species specific tank, I guess copepods?

So what do we reckon Cyano or Dinos?
https://imgur.com/a/wziXZ

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Wandering Orange posted:

I'd call that dinoflagellates for sure but luckily most of the 'cures' are the same for both, you just can't half-rear end the cures with dinos. Solid pH above 8.4, alkalinity and nitrogen in check then 3 full days of 100% blackout.

I am in the middle of a 3 day blackout, but with only fish in there might extend it to a week. My alk is 14, my ph is 8.3. gently caress knows how my alk went mental as I don't dose but is that going to cause me issues? oh and SG was a little low but bumped it back to 1.025.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Wandering Orange posted:

That sounds like a bad test kit especially if you're not dosing, have no coral. What kit/device is it?

I checked with 2 kits. The Red Sea one and the Hagen one. I then rang my mate at my old work and he said they had a bad batch of the salt I was using before my current bucket... Nothing using it up and adding more with every water change I guess. Pretty sure its not causing any issues for the fish but is it going to cause the Dinos to stick around?

I hate this hobby sometimes.

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 15, 2016

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Vessel From Denny posted:

Does anyone know anything about keeping or obtaining cuttlefish? They seem to be pretty rare in the hobby and i figured someone would have some aquacultured specimens available more often by now but maybe they are really difficult to breed. Seems like they're an easier cephalopod to keep than octopus but I can't find much information about them

I knew I saw something on the BRS youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uh6q2UCu8w

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I only have the Hagen titration kit and it's not great. The next colour up is 0.5!!! Hanna checkers are expensive her in the uk from what I can see. Just bought a new bubble magus c7 so the Mrs would kill me if I spent that much on a tester!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Hands up which idiot ordered a led grow bulb from china in 110V and not the 220V one this county uses... ahhhh

Yeah tank has be neglected recently with only 2 clowns and a half black angel in it so only small amounts of food. Just added a Picasso Trigger and a brown sailfin tang so more food but not loads so nutrients should start dropping. Skimmer has been in a week and its awesome!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Well the blackout has completely cleaner the gravel! Like brand new which is nice. The rear glass needs a scrape and the filter sock should get the poo poo out when I do but going to leave it a few more days. Fish are all happy and good lord this skimmer was a good buy for £50!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
It's one of those topics that people will argue about! I don't as I don't have he space for a proper setup and think the stress of moving fish is the biggest risk. That said I would definitely dip corals and susceptible fish like powder blue tangs.

Here is a fts. Need to work on the scape and clean the glass and stuff but I know what the thread is like for pics!
http://imgur.com/b3Heur2

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Is it new? I know some go missing for a while and pop up again. Hopefully you have a hide a seek champion!

Anyone looked at aquaforest? A mate who sells corals and stuff is raving about it.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
That's the most expensive free coral is history :cheers::cawg:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Just rebooting my tank using the aquaforest system. Totally sterile tank, cooked rocks and sand and running siporax. No ducking about this time.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Buy a glass drill and watch YouTube. It really is a piece of piss to drill a tank. Hell with a breeder 40 it not like it's a weird or expensive ta k to replace God forbid you ham fist it.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I have a weird diatom issue. If my lights are on for more than an hour a day I get them. I am running my leds at about 20% so there really isn't a lot of light and I only have 2 clowns in a 275 litre tank since my reboot... anyone seen diatoms as a result of swinging salt levels? My ato broke so using the good old wait till the pump grinds to top off method :confuoot:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
It's been a couple months since the reboot cycle so prob not that.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I have old LR that was boiled in vinegar and soaked in RO. I was getting fed up with issues and decided to nuke it properly!

That said my RO is 4 TDS which while high isnt silly high. I probably need a new membrane to get it back to 0.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Yeah the copper in it is going to kill the crabs. I would guess it's not going to help or hinder the fish but I would run a butload of carbon anyway to extract as much as you can and waterchange as much as you can.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
That treatment seems to be a copper and an antibiotic so it might not be as bad as I worry. That said if he has a pair of tights (panthose? in US) or something like that to put more carbon in I would do. Copper isn't an issue for marine fish and the eSha all in one for marines is a good treatment. That would probably be my go to for a fungal but if the fish don't make it thats obviously not required so don't fret about the fungus right now. I would probably post on the ReefCentral forums as some of the guys there have proper fish medication knowledge.

Also is he running a skimmer? One large cause of killing fish with treatments is they can cause the oxygen to deplete. As such an air stone and pump is well worth throwing in unless he is running a good oversized skimmer. Hope all goes well.

I have my own emergency right now! My 2 year old put a chocolate biscuit in my ro container. Didn't notice and just tipped it into the tank. Its broken into a million pieces.... Balls.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Another Person posted:

I put a Farley's Rusk into his fish tank. Killed all his fish.

Don't say that! AHHHH

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Oh the old heater sizzle. Every time I work in my sump:eng99:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
What filter is it? Some have different connectors that come out the tip for rigid tubing. The whole twin outlet piece is changeable I mean.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
3 days with no light shouldn't cause any lasting damage. Perhaps there just real pissed at you. Battling briopsis I did 6 day blackouts and didn't kill anything.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I haven't even heard of the brand sorry can't help!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Water changes will only help if your fresh water isn't lovely. Make sure your ro is 0tds first :)

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
It's all dependent on the time your live rock is out the water. If it's going in a holding tub and not being moved dry it's just going to be like a decent water change if you keep the old water. A cycle will happen due to die off from the rock drying out so avoid that. Also it's probably worth adding a cup of old sand to seed the new stuff. The wouldn't expect any issues.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Used to have a pet puffer in the shop I worked and he did it every morning. Reckon he was yawning :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I love acans but the always slowly die in my tank and until I get serious about water chemistry again I won't put any in.

Watched some of the highlights of MACNA videos on YouTube and there is some sexy tech coming!

• Locked thread