Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

ZenMaster posted:

The end of French Connection:

Ok, so the gunshot was just Hackman shooting and missing the bad guy? He gets away from a remote location swarming with cops, somehow gets on a plane back to France safely, and Gene and his partner get transferred to another dept?

Whee... so why the two hours of build up for nothing?

Well I guess if you really want to be fulfilled, there's always The French Connection II which ties up that story, but it's not even in the same ballpark as the original in quality. The foot chase at the end is the only memorable scene that I can recall, and the rest is pretty dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

twistedmentat posted:

I had a question, What was the First movie to have a nationwide release, assuming it would be something like the Wizard of Oz or Gone With the Wind, or even Birth of a Nation. I checked around, it was loving JAWS.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I'm pretty sure Billy Jack (which predates Jaws by four years) was actually the first film to be rolled out simultaneously nationwide,

Edit:

Wax Tadpole posted:

Ok I have a good one for all of you.

:words:

I can't help you here (I had a brief search but IMDB and Wikipedia were both busts and the film title makes it next to impossible to Google) but I just wanted to say that that sounds like one of the best marketing gimmicks ever.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 1, 2008

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you
So is anyone else confused about the part in The Dark Knight where that truck with one of Jokers henchman gets completly crushed due to Batman's attacks and kind of goes against his no kill rule? I haven't read a Bat comic since Knightfall so my whole understanding of Batman' no kill rule is based on this new movie. Did I miss something? Did batman not cause this( what appears to be a straight up death) directly? Enlighten me.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
This doesn't really have to do with a specific movie, but I was browsing dvdbeaver and went to this page: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/reviews.htm

The reviews are sorted alphabetically, and a thumbnail with a picture links to each letter (the picture for M is from A Man Escaped, P has a picture of Passion of Joan of Arc, etc). I have no idea what some of them are, specifically I and L:

I'm sure it's going to turn out to be something obvious, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could identify these two.

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

Reich Joyce posted:

So is anyone else confused about the part in The Dark Knight where that truck with one of Jokers henchman gets completly crushed due to Batman's attacks and kind of goes against his no kill rule? I haven't read a Bat comic since Knightfall so my whole understanding of Batman' no kill rule is based on this new movie. Did I miss something? Did batman not cause this( what appears to be a straight up death) directly? Enlighten me.

Which truck? The dump truck? Because that one isn't completely crushed, just disabled.

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008

We Are Citizen posted:

Which truck? The dump truck? Because that one isn't completely crushed, just disabled.

I just remember one truck that the entire passenger seat gets crushed in the tunnel. It hits the ceiling of the tunnel and completely destroys the driver seat, passenger part of the truck.

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

Reich Joyce posted:

I just remember one truck that the entire passenger seat gets crushed in the tunnel. It hits the ceiling of the tunnel and completely destroys the driver seat, passenger part of the truck.

Yeah, that's the dump truck. The Batmobile comes up from behind it and crushes the back end into the ceiling, not the front end.

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008

We Are Citizen posted:

Yeah, that's the dump truck. The Batmobile comes up from behind it and crushes the back end into the ceiling, not the front end.

Oh ok cheers, have only seen it once so wasn't sure about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lao Tsu posted:

While fighting it isn't prowse IIRC, I think it's in Empire and Jedi they had a fighting stunt double.

Right, swordsman Bob Anderson was in the suit for all of the fighting sequences in those movies.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

This doesn't really have to do with a specific movie, but I was browsing dvdbeaver and went to this page: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/reviews.htm

The reviews are sorted alphabetically, and a thumbnail with a picture links to each letter (the picture for M is from A Man Escaped, P has a picture of Passion of Joan of Arc, etc). I have no idea what some of them are, specifically I and L:

I'm sure it's going to turn out to be something obvious, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could identify these two.

I haven't seen this yet, but I'll take a wild guess on "I": The Insect Woman by Shohei Imamura.

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Daduzi posted:

the film title makes it next to impossible to Google.

That's exactly what the problem is, it's pointless to put "The Game Game" in any search engine.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

FitFortDanga posted:

I haven't seen this yet, but I'll take a wild guess on "I": The Insect Woman by Shohei Imamura.

Good guess, but The Insect Woman isn't listed in their reviews, so I don't think it's that. It certainly is a striking image, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Good guess, but The Insect Woman isn't listed in their reviews, so I don't think it's that. It certainly is a striking image, though.

Oh gently caress, I just got it. It's Irma Vep! The black & white threw me. Great little movie.

miffu
Apr 23, 2006
Chip Of Choice

Jack Does Jihad posted:

The L would have to be Lilja 4-ever unless I'm completely mistaken, top movie too.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Wax Tadpole posted:

That's exactly what the problem is, it's pointless to put "The Game Game" in any search engine.

Best I was able to find was this which at least is confirmation you didn't imagine the whole thing.

Internet Asshole
Jul 22, 2008

by Ozma

Og Oggilby posted:

There's similar motifs in other films. The original Scarface had the appearance of "X" shapes before a character (or characters) got the works. Scorsese lifted this for The Departed (and just as cleverly implemented).

Do you know why Hawks did this? Whenever there was a gangland murder in the newspapers they'd mark the spots where the dead lay with an X in the photo.

Daduzi posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but I'm pretty sure Billy Jack (which predates Jaws by four years) was actually the first film to be rolled out simultaneously nationwide,

It wasn't released nationwide. It was released in more theatres than any other movie at that time, but in one market.

Internet Asshole fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 4, 2008

Ask Me About Bugs
May 20, 2001
BWUAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHHAHAH
HAHAHAHHHA
LOLOLOLOL
Nice title.

We Are Citizen posted:

No, it actually does crush the cab. Remember, the SWAT truck has to swerve because the Batmobile is coming straight at it, and right behind it is the garbage truck. I've watched this shot about half a dozen times, and the cab does get absolutely flattened. I was actually wondering the exact same thing about this (how he gets around the no kill rule).

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Og Oggilby posted:

There's similar motifs in other films. The original Scarface had the appearance of "X" shapes before a character (or characters) got the works. Scorsese lifted this for The Departed (and just as cleverly implemented).

Hitchcock and Kubrick usually had important scenes happen in a bathroom. For Kubrick, there's the OD scene in Eyes Wide Shut, the end of the first act in Full Metal Jacket, Ripper's end in Strangelove...

The Departed/Scarface thing sounds pretty interesting, do you have screenshots or can you tell me where to find them in the movie so I can check them out?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ask Me About Bugs posted:

No, it actually does crush the cab. Remember, the SWAT truck has to swerve because the Batmobile is coming straight at it, and right behind it is the garbage truck. I've watched this shot about half a dozen times, and the cab does get absolutely flattened. I was actually wondering the exact same thing about this (how he gets around the no kill rule).

Batman spoiler-ish dicussion:

I think Batman draws a distinction between actively taking a life and having someone die as an unintended consequence of him doing his job. Just look at Batman Begins - for all intents and purposes, he kills Ras. He can try to justify it anyway he wants, but that right there was some negligent homicide.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Might I suggest that Dark Knight discussion may be better suited to one of the dozen or so Dark Knight threads floating around?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
In 2001, why do the Discovery crew go into the Pod room, have HAL turn the pod around so that they can get in, and the window is facing away from HAL, then get into the pod, and then turn it back to face him? That makes no sense! I know they didn't expect HAL to lip read, but from the point of the audience, if they'd not turned the Pod around for no discernible reason, HAL would never have known what was going on. I just can't see the explanation for it, especially when they make such a big deal about rotating the pods (the fact that by default the doors don't face the pilots seems stupid enough).

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Is there, or will there be a release of There Will Be Blood in a real DVD case, instead of the craptastic cardboard case it was initially released in? Love the movie, but the DVD case sucks. I would have paid more for the "Special Edition" they had at Wal-Mart when I bought the movie but even that had the cardboard case.

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

Encryptic posted:

Is there, or will there be a release of There Will Be Blood in a real DVD case, instead of the craptastic cardboard case it was initially released in? Love the movie, but the DVD case sucks. I would have paid more for the "Special Edition" they had at Wal-Mart when I bought the movie but even that had the cardboard case.

As far as I know, the Special Edition is the only version in a cardboard case. The bare-bones version is in a regular plastic one.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
I have yet to see any edition in a plastic case, SE or otherwise.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Satch posted:

I have yet to see any edition in a plastic case, SE or otherwise.

The BluRay version is in a regular BluRay case.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

We Are Citizen posted:

As far as I know, the Special Edition is the only version in a cardboard case. The bare-bones version is in a regular plastic one.

I don't think I have the special edition - it's just a single disc and I know for sure I saw two versions available, both of which had a cardboard case. Additionally, the 2-disc special edition has different cover art (a shot of Plainview looking down into an oil well) whereas my copy has a head shot of Plainview.

Guess I'll just keep hoping they re-release it with a better case.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
While it's flimsy, I really wish studios would make everything compact. There's no reason why a full sized DVD case needs to be used (instead of a thinpak) if it's only the disc.

If I had time and money to waste, I'd convert any DVD in an amaray case without a booklet into thinpak.

I'm annoyed by all the wasted space in releases. The recent Kubrick DVD box has no inserts, yet all in full amaray cases. It would have been great if they opted for 2-disc clear thinkpaks with the chapter listing printed on the inside.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What is a Thinkpak? do you mean Thinpack?

I thought they stopped making those lovely cardboard cases.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Encryptic posted:

I don't think I have the special edition - it's just a single disc and I know for sure I saw two versions available, both of which had a cardboard case. Additionally, the 2-disc special edition has different cover art (a shot of Plainview looking down into an oil well) whereas my copy has a head shot of Plainview.

Guess I'll just keep hoping they re-release it with a better case.

They definitely have a plastic-cased version of the one you have, because there are piles of them in stores around here in Canada.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Encryptic posted:

Try Blockbuster. When I worked there, often DVDs in special cases had rental versions in standard plastic amrays so you might be able to get one previously viewed. Non standard cases tended to confuse people :eng99:

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Dacap posted:

Try Blockbuster. When I worked there, often DVDs in special cases had rental versions in standard plastic amrays so you might be able to get one previously viewed. Non standard cases tended to confuse people :eng99:

Thanks, that's a worthwhile idea. :)

In the meantime - I've got another question I'm going to throw out there. I just watched Backdraft and I was wondering - how did they film the fire sequences with the actors? You see multiple scenes with them in the middle of burning buildings and it's obvious they're not stunt doubles. IMDB claims that Kurt Russell, William Baldwin and Scott Glenn were credited as stunt personnel because the stunt coordinator thought they did a great job - I just would have thought that would be a huge liability issue if they hosed up and got burned or something. Some of those sequences like the collapsing roof look like they could have easily gone wrong.

Do actors performing their own stunts sign a waiver saying they won't sue the studio if they get hurt?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I won't speak about the legal ramifications of actors doing their stunts (but I assume that the lawyers do make them sign liability waivers) but I remember that the special effects and pyro work in Backdraft was pretty incredible. They were supposedly able to repeat a lot of the apparantly catastrophic stuff and had fine control of the fire effects so they could do amazing stuff with people right there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

What is a Thinkpak? do you mean Thinpack?

I thought they stopped making those lovely cardboard cases.

He said "Thinpak," not "Thinkpak."

"Thinpak" is the trademarked name for the thin DVD cases that use just enough space to store the disc.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Yeah, I had a Freudian slip.

Just to give an idea of how cool thinpaks are...

16 discs.

4 discs. If you were to put the Indiana Jones and Star Wars 4-disc sets next to each other, they would take up the same space as the complete Monty Python box.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Og Oggilby posted:

Yeah, I had a Freudian slip.

Just to give an idea of how cool thinpaks are...

16 discs.

4 discs. If you were to put the Indiana Jones and Star Wars 4-disc sets next to each other, they would take up the same space as the complete Monty Python box.

While good for collections and really there is no reason why every box set shouldn't use them instead of full sized boxes I just don't think they'll catch on as a regular sales box. Thinpacks are a lot more fragile than regular boxes and if you shipped a bunch out I can easily see them getting damaged just from normal shipping.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The main reason some boxsets use standard amrays instead of Thinpaks is so that they can sell the movies individually without having to manufacture separate packaging and inserts.

Retinend
May 17, 2008

They're inviting us to defeat them, we must oblige them!
In David Lynch's The Straight Story, near the end of the film, Alvin Straight's lawnmower's engine finally shudders to a halt with some nasty looking black smoke. He then sits there for a few minutes, with dissolves which imply he's been waiting a long time. Finally, a passing tractor stops and they talk (inaudibly). Then, with seemingly no explanation, he starts up the lawnmower again and drives to his brothers house! At first I figured that the tractor must have bee towing him, but if he was it must have been with an invisible tether.

If his lawnmower didn't break down (with the black smoke), then why did he wait for so long and look so heartbroken? and if his lawnmower did break down, then how did he just start driving again?

Retinend fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 11, 2008

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Retinend posted:

If his lawnmower didn't break down (with the black smoke), then why did he wait for so long and look so heartbroken? and if his lawnmower did break down, then how did he just start driving again?

I'm working off memory but I don't recall the exchange being wordless. I recall the guy on the passing tractor telling him that sometimes they need to sit for a while and so he gives it a try and it turns over.

Edit: Here's the exchange

How you doin'...?
Not too good. This thing's just tired.
Is there anything I can do to help you?
Well, I don't know. It just quit on me.
Why don't you try her again?

Retinend
May 17, 2008

They're inviting us to defeat them, we must oblige them!

Ape Agitator posted:

I'm working off memory but I don't recall the exchange being wordless. I recall the guy on the passing tractor telling him that sometimes they need to sit for a while and so he gives it a try and it turns over.

Edit: Here's the exchange

How you doin'...?
Not too good. This thing's just tired.
Is there anything I can do to help you?
Well, I don't know. It just quit on me.
Why don't you try her again?

That was quick. Thanks. That exchange is pretty important then, it's odd that he decided to make it inaudible without subtitles - the camera is about 20ft away from them and you hear their conversation as if you were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
EDIT: I am stupid as gently caress never mind.