Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Tom Waits cameo, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What was the first movie cameo?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

Tom Waits cameo, though

What is this in regards to? Dracula?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I remembered hearing about Fatty Arbuckle having a cameo after his "scandal": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_(1923_film)
And turns out: "The film has become famous as having featured cameos of more than thirty famous Hollywood stars. However, the film is now considered a lost film." Odds are this is not the first example, but 1923 is good to start with, no?

Edit: I just realized that Silent Movie ('76) is probably an ode to that type of movie, because beyond being silent it has a lot of cameos.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 11, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

syscall girl posted:

What is this in regards to? Dracula?

He's a mad cannibal in Pandorum for some reason

E: or not, according to IMDB? I have no idea what the hell I'm thinking of

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 11, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

I remembered hearing about Fatty Arbuckle having a cameo after his "scandal": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_(1923_film)
And turns out: "The film has become famous as having featured cameos of more than thirty famous Hollywood stars. However, the film is now considered a lost film." Odds are this is not the first example, but 1923 is good to start with, no?

Edit: I just realized that Silent Movie ('76) is probably an ode to that type of movie, because beyond being silent it has a lot of cameos.

The Player was just cameos. So were the Cannonball run movies. And both had Burt Reynolds.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ruddiger posted:

The Conversation and Enemy of the State.

Never Say Never Again and The Rock.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

He's a mad cannibal in Pandorum for some reason

E: or not, according to IMDB? I have no idea what the hell I'm thinking of

Renfro eats like bugs and animals but his ambition is to eat people

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just saw The Color of Money last week, and it's a surprisingly bad movie considering the talent involved.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Origami Dali posted:

I just saw The Color of Money last week, and it's a surprisingly bad movie considering the talent involved.

It made me prefer 9 ball over billiards. It's also the best possible version of pool with 3 players.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Origami Dali posted:

For a movie about pool, it couldn't be less interested in pool.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I don't think it's a "bad" movie, but it's just not great, and I'm sure a lot of the :rolleyes: reaction is aided by Newman winning an Oscar for what was pretty clearly a lifetime achievement award and not on the basis of this performance. That said, the direction from Scorsese and camerawork in this is one of my favorites from all of his movies.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
As a big fan of location shooting in old bars, restaurants, pool halls, malls, and stores, I think The Color of Money rules.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When I first saw The Color of Money I didn't really know who Martin Scorsese was and it was an amazing film, now that I've seen more of his stuff I kinda feel like saying "Really? you couldn't try harder on this?" But it's still got excellent performances by an older Paul Newman and a very young Tom Cruise, so I'm calling it good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hadn't realised how often Newman had been nominated before he actually won. Pretty close to another guy who's Oscar was a pretty obvious career award, Al Pacino.

Surprised he didn't get a nomination for The Sting.

Everything else about that movie did.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What are some examples of sequel films where the sequel was done significantly later, by a different team? 2010 and Blade Runner 2049 are the obvious examples, but I'm sure there are others.

The return of the Jedi was 1983
The Force Awakens was 2015

32 years

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Bambi 2 came out 64 years after the original.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Bambi 2 came out 64 years after the original.

But it's pre-dated by Bambi vs Godzilla.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What are some examples of sequel films where the sequel was done significantly later, by a different team? 2010 and Blade Runner 2049 are the obvious examples, but I'm sure there are others.

Easy Rider: The Ride Back :shepface:

quote:

According to this article in the Springfield News-Sun, the road to Easy Rider: The Ride Back began with Pitzer learning that the sequel/remake rights to Easy Rider were up for grabs, then suing Easy Rider producers Bob Rafaelson and Bert Schneider to, in the article’s words, “stop them from claiming they still owned the rights.”

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Origami Dali posted:

Watch The Hustler if you haven't, its the 'prequel' of sorts.
And much much better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long did it take Kenneth Branagh to make his version of Hamlet?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

How long did it take Kenneth Branagh to make his version of Hamlet?

It was about 400 years in the making.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Do actors (generally) release pictures of themselves to studios? I'm on my third movie where someone looks at a photo of themselves back in the day, and some of them don't look edited.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

Do actors (generally) release pictures of themselves to studios? I'm on my third movie where someone looks at a photo of themselves back in the day, and some of them don't look edited.

Depends on what kinda movie it is.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yooo I posted this in general before someone guided me here, so I'll just copy and paste my question

there's an old movie--probably a horror movie, possibly a foreign film?--with a really batshit insane scene where there's a giant... like, face wall, just this huge loving mouth with a big tongue hanging out and a woman proceeds to make out with it. Like, fairly explicitly, I vaguely recall seeing some titty. ...But it's with a big WTF wall face monster so it's less sexy and more disturbing.

I never watched the whole movie all the way through, I just caught the scene in gif form one time, looked up what movie it was, and then promptly forgot but discussing body horror (specifically mouths where there shouldn't be mouths) with a friend of mine made me remember it but it's obscure as hell and nothing I'm googling is bringing it up. Anyone have any ideas?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Pretty sure that's Dr. Caligari (1989).

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Almost Blue posted:

Pretty sure that's Dr. Caligari (1989).

shiiit I looked right at it when I was doing my googlin' and I totally blanked that that's it

yeah, that's the one thank you

edit: I kept hitting The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and not the 89 one, thaaaat's what the poo poo happened

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 5, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason for variable quality in digital projection? Like, I'm given to understand it's all a single file stored in a drive on-site, and 4k resolution is usually indistinguishable from film on a big screen, and yet every so often I'll notice a shot in a movie that looks a bit more "digital" than others, lower resolution somehow. Heck I noticed it on the end credits of A Star Is Born- the diagonals on the letters had a blocky pixellated quality.

Is there an actual reason for inconsistency, or am I just crazy?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Most releases are 2k, which isn't much more than 1080p. Not sure that's the case with A Star Is Born, though. It'd be weird if the fonts weren't anti-aliased, though. Maybe they weren't.

As for shots that look 'digital', resolution isn't all there is to film vs video, and it's probably one of the smaller factors as opposed to things like whether a DV camera's shutter speed is emulating film or not. You could notice that Apokalypto was shot on video while watching it on a VHS on an old CRT television because of the amount of motion blur in it's chase sequences.

edit: A Star Is Born is 2k https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517451/technical. Maybe an upscale to 4k went awry in the file or projector cause that usually ends up smooth enough.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 8, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Also, bitrate matters (how many bits are used to encode each second of film).

DCP has a max rate of 250Mbps for 4K, Netflix is said to use 16Mbps for their 4K content.

Lower bitrates will be blurrier and choppier.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 9, 2018

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Are there any Iranian horror films that were actually shot in-country, at least since the revolution? The closest I know of are A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night and Under the Shadow, both of which I like but are Iranian-language films shot in other countries.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The single take film Fish & Cat (2013) is the first one that comes to my mind, even though it is lacking in human gore. Does not seem readily available, I'm afraid.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah I think it's pretty common in movies where a character looks at an old family photo of themselves as a teenager or whatever to just use an old photo of the actor. No movie in particular is popping into my head right now, but I know I've seen it many times.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theyre always crappy paste-jobs onto whatever background imo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
In The Gold Rush (1925) how did they do the trick to make it seem like Chaplin was jumping out of the cabin at the end before the (model?) cabin fell over the cliff? Was it double exposure, an early greenscreen thing...?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

got any sevens posted:

In The Gold Rush (1925) how did they do the trick to make it seem like Chaplin was jumping out of the cabin at the end before the (model?) cabin fell over the cliff? Was it double exposure, an early greenscreen thing...?

Double exposure. The Criterion releases of Chaplin's films include short pieces about the effects and locations. He used more camera tricks than you'd expect, especially on The Gold Rush since most of it was shot in the studio.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Double exposure. The Criterion releases of Chaplin's films include short pieces about the effects and locations. He used more camera tricks than you'd expect, especially on The Gold Rush since most of it was shot in the studio.

Conversely, it's the 1920's and Chaplin so it's just as likely he really almost died.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that one chaplin short where he keeps flashing his browny 1911 is weird. i cant help but think of that as a modern gun.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Krankenstyle posted:

that one chaplin short where he keeps flashing his browny 1911 is weird. i cant help but think of that as a modern gun.

It's right there in the name tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Toebone posted:

It's right there in the name tho

yur moms name maybe

chaplin was a dilletante, wc fields was a taste good