Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
For you older goons, I've always been interested about peoples thoughts regarding the original Star Wars (A New Hope) when it was being shown in theaters, back in 77.

How long did it take to become a huge phenomenon after its initial release? Was there alot of hype and advertising for it, or did it just kinda pop up outta nowhere? Was it the most awesome thing you ever saw or did you think it was a bit overrated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Yeah, the series established a potential immortal has to die of unnatural (i.e. violent) causes for the whole immortality thing to kick in. Otherwise they just grow old and die as usual. It should be noted that immortals can sense which folks are potential immortals.

So theres really no need for the baby killing stuff. But you'll at least know who may become immortals in the future.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

Maybe. I mean Highlander: the series sucked balls but I think you have to be pretty powerful to sense a pre-immortal. In Highlander 1 the Kurgen sensed Conner was an immortal and wanted to kill him on the battlefield (which makes no sense as Conner hadn't "bonded" with the quickening or whatever as he did with Rameriez, so he gains nothing.)

Yet, Duncan MacLeod who is a rather strong immortal himself (as well as a shameless ripoff of Conner) couldn't sense his buddy Richie was a Pre-Immortal? I love Highlander, it had so much potential to be awesome... too bad they hosed it up so hard. :(

Real Answer: Probably because the writers hadn't thought of that whole Potential Immortal crap.

Fake Answer: Duncan wasn't taking his Sense Potential Immortal pills?

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Wiki says Speed Racer is set in 2108, but thats the only place I've seen a year referenced. I guess we can just assume it's set in some weird alternate world.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

One on The Fifth Element:
Are they guys who get left in Corbin's fridge dead from being frozen?

I always thought it was unfunny given that appearance.

The older dude shows up again later in the film; he's Corbin's ex-commander or whatever. Its presumable that the fat lady lived as well.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
I was watching yet another Rocky marathon on Spike, and something came to my mind...

I never quite understood exactly how Paulie squandered Rocky's money, which ended up sending him back to the ghetto. Can someone enlighten me on this?

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
There was something in Highlander that always bugged me... why did the Kurgan wait so damned long to fight Conner? (Was there something I missed?)

He had numerous opportunities to kill him off while Conner was still a young inexperienced immortal, such as:

-the five or so years when while Connor was living in that castle-thing with his wife, prior to Ramirez showing up.

-the time period after Kurgans fight with Ramirez. (just wait around for Conner to come back then off him)

-the 30-50 year period where Conner stayed with his wife, until her death by old age.

Instead he waits 400 goddamn years, allowing Conner build up his skills and experience, becoming a more dangerous opponent.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
In The Road Warrior, why is it that the Oil Refinery Settlers detain Max after he brings one of their dying members back to their compound? Even though the guy Max saved dies soon afterward, its still a dick move on their part. And then they seemed surprised when, after risking his life to win his freedom back, Max tells them to screw themselves and drives off alone. (rather than helping them escape the wasteland gang, although he ends up helping them anyway)

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

Barometer posted:

I think the leader even says that they can't be sure if he is one of the gang that is surrounding them or not. For all they know, he was in on killing them (dude dies, so Max's story is only his own word) and "any deal you had with him died with him" or somesuch.

Also, he looks pretty much the same as all those biker guys outside. :)

This makes no sense, what do you mean he looked "pretty much the same"? Could those people not see the striking, ruggedly good looks and piercing eyes of Max and immediately tell he's the good guy?

Now if he looked like that freaky dude with the mohawk and assless chaps (and had an androgynous boyfriend), THEN I could understand if they were a bit suspicious of Max.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Assuming thats the movie you're thinking of, its not the cat that sucks the baby's breath out but rather some little goblin monster thing. The cat is actually trying to defend the baby from it.

itrorev fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
I remember watching Inception in the theaters awhile back, and I just remembered there was a small plot point I missed:

What had happened that Architect who Cobb and Arthur were working with in the beginning of the film? (the one that Ellen Page eventually replaced)

Last I recall he was being taken away by Saito, but I didn't catch the dialog that mentioned what his fate was. (or why he was being taken away in the first place)

itrorev fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 25, 2010