Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
In Return of the Jedi, in the final fight between Luke and Vader, is there any reason for Vader to fall and clutch the rail right before Luke cuts his hand? It seems like he just moves to that position mid fight, and I always see it. If there is something I am missing I'd love to know because it ruins that scene for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

Lao Tsu posted:

In Return of the Jedi, in the final fight between Luke and Vader, is there any reason for Vader to fall and clutch the rail right before Luke cuts his hand? It seems like he just moves to that position mid fight, and I always see it. If there is something I am missing I'd love to know because it ruins that scene for me.

I need this answered or I won't go on living.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
Ok, it always looked to me like "ok I dodge under, and this is the part where I'm on the rail"

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

Ishamael posted:

That is probably exactly what it was. I'm sure a better actor than David Prowse could have sold it much better.

Especially after seeing Anakin's crazy blade skills in the lovely prequels, watching him go down so easy is even more ridiculous.

While fighting it isn't prowse IIRC, I think it's in Empire and Jedi they had a fighting stunt double.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
I have a class on the American New Wave and we watched Mean Streets.

It's great early Scorsese if you haven't seen it.

My question concerns the end.

All three are shown crawling out of the car. Charlie looks to be only shot in the arm while Johnny Boy looks worse and Teresa even worse. Are we meant to believe that Charlie survives this? Are we also meant to assume that Michael is hosed for hitting Charlie because of his uncle.

I was just in a state of disbelief at the end of the film because I felt like one more scene would have resolved a lot. I'm not saying I wanted to see what happens next, but there isn't even a hint of tone about the futures of the characters.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

Waroduce posted:

What was Nikki (blonde girl, the original dispatcher) and Jason Bourne's relationship in the Bourne series? I thought they were married and they were gunna drop that bomb in the little cafe scene they share where he asks why she is helping him. Her reply was something along the lines of " Its was always difficult for me with you". We're they like sleeping together? dating? she just wants on his D?

I just always assumed it was just a personal connection. Not necessarily romantic or even sexual tension, she had just worked with him so long she had difficulty treating him like a weapon.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

twistedmentat posted:

7The book is pretty clear on most of the weird stuff in the movie. Dave travels though a series of star gates and passes though a galactic grand central station. The Monolith evolves him as it is programed to do, and creates the star child, who proceeds to dedicative all the nukes in orbit. Or isn't that 2010?

The other books are pretty neat, as they go into more detail about the Monoliths and why they are used.

No, you were right, the grand central station/inverted space was in 2001 and on the last page the star child deactivates nukes on the orbital station.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
In a somewhat recent movie, someone briefly gives the false name "Dorcas Reilly". If it sounds familiar, she invented green bean casserole. She's also my great aunt and it's a fun piece of movie trivia but I can't remember for the life of me what movie it was. I've googled all kinds of combinations of keywords and haven't come up with anything.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
My question regards the Godfather films. Before this past week I had seen most of the first movie if I pieced together everything I had seen from the million times I've watched it on TV. I hadn't seen more than a few scenes of the other two.

I recently finished my finals and rewarded myself by breaking out the box set I bought months ago. I watched the first and enjoyed it, having seen most of it. I watched the second and thought it was amazing. I'm dying to watch the special features but they are separated by film. Not wanting to spoil the third movie with the special features, I feel I need to watch the third next. Why do people hate it?

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

penismightier posted:

It's just bad, man. Sofia Coppola is horribly miscast in a very central role, the plot is lame, there's no memorable scenes (I'll give them "they pull me back in" as a great line, though). It doesn't work.

Bummer. I was having a ton of fun watching 1 and 2 in succession.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

the Bunt posted:

What the hell are you babbling about?

Weird stories about foreign women aside, I think the general idea is that movie sex is very modest, distant, and somewhat ritualistic, to the point where it's very similar in most movies (because of ratings and stuff).

While it's a little presumptuous to say that it's not normal, I'm pretty sure that having sex like it's portrayed in the movies (think PG-13) would be clumsy and difficult.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
What do people think of intro credit sequences and ending credit sequences? I always get annoyed when people fast forward through intros (or even television shows making shorter intro sequences) and when people turn off movies right as the credits roll (or when commercials are slapped on right as the credits begin on television).

I'm not saying that all films should adhere to the same style, but I find music to be very important in film, and I often find the beginning and ending of movies to be like an overture. It's a good primer at the beginning and a time to decompress at the end.

Anyone else enjoy credit sequences for this reason?

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
Why does the IMDB trivia and goofs sections suck so much? They're often full of repeats, speculation, and factually inaccurate statements. Everything submitted supposedly gets reviewed. What gives?

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

kapalama posted:

It's reviewed by the same sort of people that submit them. There are some galling gaffes that don't get pulled because the person who submitted it 'heard it on the internet' and the checker is also someone who 'heard it on the internet'.

All you need to do to 'confirm' it is find some other reference on the internet agreeing with it (also user submitted in many cases).

Try fact checking some common urban myths on the internet some time. You will usually dead-end at either Snopes, which, though generally good, has errors because it is just some guy on the internet, or 'The Straight Dope', which, though generally good, repeats urban myths because before the internet who could check up on him?

The thing that really burns my rear end though is when there are like three or four entries that repeat or contradict each other. One month out of a sense of film crusader-ship I tried to clean up some of the crap on films like Shutter Island and The Godfather that was redundant or not "trivia" (bordering on just fan interpretation) and my submissions are still in limbo.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
After exploring a link in the Blade Runner thread, I've been reading up on a bunch of fan edits of films. Some of them are cleanups where they fix minor things, others fix stories or eliminate threads or characters that distract from the film. Some try to change the overall tone of the film. While most of us know of the Star Wars edits, there are a whole bunch of minor to major edits out there.

The ones I'm really curious about now are the ones that change the style. There's a bunch of movies that have been edited into grindhouse style movies (I really want to see the grindhouse version of Jaws).

I haven't actually managed to watch any of them, apart from some star wars clips on youtube. What's your experience with them?

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also, I think Fight Club is the ultimate example of what you are asking for. It has such a strong message about anti-establishmentism but really it's just something stupid where guys want to beat each other up.

I was always under the impression that while Fight Club wanted you to think about establishment and all that goes with it and how maybe you should have a little more energy in your life, the ultimate message was that Norton's crew was really misguided and crazy.

E: Kinda beaten. But ya, it's pretty obvious that Fight Club is not an endorsement of Norton and Pitt's ideology.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

Jack Gladney posted:

Does anybody know if there's a handy list for things on netflix streaming that aren't available on dvd?

I've been looking for something like this too. For some reason the "recommended for you" stuff seems to leave out a ton. Like even if you're browsing the documentaries section and it breaks them down into subgenres it seems to leave out some and recommend some lovely ones. I've been trying to find articles and stuff for "stuff you should see that's on netflix".

Edit: Ok jumped the gun and didn't entirely read what you said, but my question stands. Why are some things on netflix hard to find unless you search for them explicitly. Are there any good articles about what you should catch on netflix?

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

Jack Gladney posted:

There's this database, which is better than what netflix itself provides although it might not satisfy your needs: http://instantwatcher.com/

The most useful part is probably the list of movies about to expire.

That's fantastic, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

SubG posted:

Yeah. And I do think it's cool to be able to see the additional footage that was shot and not included in the original theatrical cut. But that's a completely different thing from thinking they have any place in the film itself.

I'm a little torn on Redux. I do find it to be inferior because of the French plantation scene. I would never show Redux to someone first. However, I really like the second playboy bunny scene (for reasons other than tits.)