Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
I know there was a similar thread to this a while back, but didn't see it anywhere. So, welcome to the new General Movie Question Thread. Ask questions that are bugging you, but not worthy of their own thread.

The other day I was out with some friends, and we were talking about movies, and a question occured to me that none of them could answer.

What was the first movie to be remade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
For example of mis-en-scene:

In this shot in Citizen Kane, Kane is closer to the camera than Leland, and being shot from a low angle, making Kane a larger presence as well. You can also note the light color of Kane's shirt as opposed to the dark color of Leland's jacket, etc.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

FitFortDanga posted:

Most film noirs (films noir? I never know) are very bleak, but have "happy" endings due to requirements for bad guys to get what's coming to them. A few that have dark conclusions despite this are Ace in the Hole, Double Indemnity and Sweet Smell of Success. And a double-shot of Kubrick: Paths of Glory and The Killing.

I could come up with more, but that's off the top of my head.

One of my favorites is a noir flick called Detour wherein a guy kills 2 people accidentally in the course of the film and at the end is supposed to just hit the highway, unsure of where he's going but with nowhere TO go.

Then the government said he had to get caught at the end, since he'd killed people and was thus the 'bad guy'. So there's this OBVIOUSLY tacked on segment where a cop pulls over while he's walking and nabs him with this voice over:

quote:

I know. Someday a car will stop to pick me up that I never thumbed. Yes, fate, or some mysterious force can put the finger on you or me for no good reason at all

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
I have yet to see any edition in a plastic case, SE or otherwise.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
Sometimes I like trailers for movies that are already out. I remember seeing a trailer for Monsters Inc that played before Harry Potter, mentioning the film was 'playing in a theater near you...like really near you...like right next door'. I cant find it on youtube, but Wikipedia proves Im not insane:

quote:

In a trailer shown before the first Harry Potter film, Sulley is shown playing charades with Mike, but Mike is unable to guess the phrase "Harry Potter". The clip never specifically mentions Harry Potter, but the end states that Monsters, Inc. is playing right next door. Afterwards, Mike attempts to charade by waving his arms in the air to make a star shape. A bored Sulley quickly and correctly guesses Star Wars. A bewildered Mike asks how he does it. A different version has Mike using a hula hoop, and Sulley correctly guesses Saturn.

Satch fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 12, 2008

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
The zach and miri thread reminded me of a question:

For ages, Kevin Smith owned the rights to Green Hornet and was trying and trying to get a studio to greenlight the flick with Jason Lee as the lead, but no one would. Last I had heard he was going to go ahead with the movie, as to not lose the rights, with someone like Jimmy Fallon as the lead.

Cut to now, Seth Rogen has the rights.

Did a deal go down during Zach and Miri?

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

BobbyHorsepower posted:

Jason Lee was never going to be the lead while Kevin Smith was attached. Maybe you're thinking of Smith's other failed project; the remake of "Fletch."

Kevin Smith never owned the rights to anything. He was given a shot by whichever studio owns the Green Hornet copyrights to develop a movie, but then pulled out because he felt it was "outside his directorial comfort zone" or something.

Seth Rogen doesn't own any of the rights now either. He landed a deal to develop a Green Hornet movie and (unlike Smith) actually produced a script. So that may move forward in the next year or so.

You know what, you're entirely right. I was thinking of Fletch.

Thanks for exposing my dumbness

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

dinosaurtrauma posted:

Yea but Walken is just...I mean there's basically no role he's ever had in recent years when he wasn't being Christopher Walken more than he was being his character. In most cases, the audience doesn't even remember his character's name, because they don't have to, he's loving Chris Walken and that's really what's important here.

Its been a while since I've seen it but I would counter this with Catch Me If You Can.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

VorpalBunny posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, 20 pages is a lot to sift through.

In THE FIFTH ELEMENT, they regenerate Leeloo out of a fragment of alien DNA found in the wreckage carrying The Fifth Element.

Scene here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fII9hH2UH8o

So, was Leeloo originally a Turtle-dude, and her DNA was reformatted into a hot supermodel? Was she always a female human? What happened to the rescued hand - it just disappears in this scene, but why wouldn't it be attached to her arm?

Did she have to fall in love to be the "Fifth Element" aka love? Did she have to be activated by love, like the other stones had to be activated by water, air, etc? Or was she good enough, if she hadn't fallen in love with Corbin Dallas, to save the universe on her own, since she seemed to "love" stuff like chicken and rear end-kicking?

Around 1:50 in that video you posted you can see that glove IS attached to her arm. I know the above reasoning is probably right but I just like to think that under the big space armor those turtle aliens were all hot space Jovaviches

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Nutsngum posted:

This just made me realise that Captain Planet spoiled the Fith Element. OF COURSE the fith elemnt has to be heart/love. Duh

Hoooooly poo poo. my mind is blown.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

penismightier posted:

Let's not forget Detour. Real cheap, mean Poverty Row classic. In the public domain, too, so you can watch it online.

"I was tussling with the most dangerous animal in the world, a woman. "

Detour is the poo poo. I think my favorite part is how they had to tack on the ending because back then you couldn't let this guy walk away without being arrested.

Apparently it was remade in the 80's but gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Dr_Amazing posted:

Should I assume you aren't talking about the mid 90s children's show?

The new Polznski picture. But they both touch children, just in different ways.