Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

Well poo poo, I've been waiting for one of these threads to pop back up for a while. I was actually playing with the idea of making my own tonight. I'll post in this one instead. :)

In A Scanner Darkly, did Agent Hank know Agent Fred was Bob the whole time or was it something they narrowed down from Bares ratting him out and Frek being put into New Path. And if the latter is correct, how could they rule out Ernie?

Also, after repeated viewings I still don't understand what happens with the blond D head changing into Bob's girlfriend and back on the recorded tape.

And an unrelated question, on almost every DVD I have ever watched there is a noticeable pause about half way through the film. It only appears for a fraction of a second but it is still kind of apparent. Any one know what I'm talking about?

Dr. Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, they knew that Fred was Bob the entire time. They purposefully set him up to get hooked on Substance D because they knew that the only way to get someone into New Path without them being suspicious was for the person to be an actual complete wreck. They couldn't have someone who knew they were supposed to be infiltrating it because they might eventually give themselves away. Their hope was that he would eventually see something that would prove that New Path was behind the Substance D epidemic (which they suspected because it was the only place police "Scanners" weren't allowed to look) and his cop instincts would kick in and he could tell someone on the outside eventually.

I never got the random girl changing into Donna thing though.

Right I got that, hence Bob giving the little speech at the end about how the blue flower will be a present for his friends at Thanksgiving. Maybe I was more confused than I was because I somehow missed Donna getting out of Hank's scramble suit the first three times I watched it, I always mistook that for Donna getting out of Bob's suit which wouldn't make a lick of sense. When it finally clicked with me I was like, "Holy poo poo! I'm challenged!" I guess those suit's really do work! :v:

Great movie, though. Thanks for the help. :)

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

So I have been more and more interested in Oldboy and just learned that it is part of a trilogy. Is the rest of the series any good? Is there an order I should watch them?

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks a lot guys. Rearranging my Netflix account now!

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

The Exorcist

Just finished watching it for the first time I would hate to miss some deeper meaning with the ending. The film ends with the detective entering into a conversation with the singing priest almost verbatim with how he chatted with the boxing priest halfway through the film. Cop asks priest if he wants to see a movie. Cops explains how he loves films and gets good tickets all the time. A title and leading actors are described. Priest states that he already saw it. Cop is disappointed in a passive agressive way. He also mentions that the singing priest is 'another one', or something along those lines.

This seems rather mundane, but the way they highlighted it in the movie made it seem so drat important. I really want to know what this has to do with the larger story.

Also, what is the significance of the silver medallion?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I was too scared to correctly analyze it.

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

I saw my first on screen titty cause Airplane was PG. The old rating system was glorious. :quagmire:

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I watched Barton Fink the other day but I really don't get what the ending was supposed to be about, basically from the return of John Goodman on. So could someone please enlighten me?

Another really neat layer of the movie is the WWII motif. The dance, the Hollywood Exec becoming a Colonel, the general state of fear during that time period. This is all brought to a head with the reappearance of John Goodman. The noted scene with the fiery hallway is a brief synopsis of the European theater of WWII.

Bear with me. The two detectives are named Mastrionotti and Deutsch, blatantly Italian and German, respectively. Throughout the movie, they hound and harass the very Jewish Fink until it looks like they are about to close in on him when out of nowhere Mundt, what we have come to know as the American common man, blind sides the Italian and briefly gives chase with the German before executing him mockingly saying "Heil Hitler!"

The Coen's have stated that they wanted to really reinforce the idea of Fink as an intelligent but ultimately useless intellectual and the two strong arm facists pursuing him was put in for that purpose alone. The WWII analogy is just a neat little bit that they put in to gently caress with critics. I still like it though.

Also the Coens are waiting for Tuturro to age a little bit more but they are very interested in making a sequel about Fink dealing with the red scare in the 60's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

I'LL SHOW YOU THE STATE OF THE LINK!

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/09/21/coen-brothers-want-john-turturro-to-get-old-for-barton-fink-sequel-old-fink/