Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't disagree that the ending of There Will Be Blood is kind of frustrating, but I don't think it's much of a revivalist western. In a way the film could have taken place anywhere, so long as it was still about Plainview, the amoral opportunist. It's more of a Citizen Kane film, demonstrating that fulfilling the American Dream doesn't mean jack poo poo if you're an empty, unfulfilled person (that it doesn't matter to Plainview is even more disturbing - you could draw parallels to all kinds of ruthless CEOs).

Eh, I think it wouldn't have worked nearly as well. Oil is such a big part of the story, plus the first 5-10 minutes or so with Plainview out mining by himself and managing to drag himself out of a deep mineshaft with a broken leg or ankle. There's definitely the theme of him conquering the West in his own way - instead of using the railroads that conquered the land before him, he buys all the land and lays the pipeline through it.

the Bunt posted:

TWBB ending :words:

You pretty much summed up my major issue with the movie. They seriously needed at least a montage of scenes showing the intervening years there to make it not feel so slap-dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

Would it be The Adjustment Bureau?

Does anyone remember season 5 of Entourage? I was wondering if the director that Stellan Skarsgard plays is based off anyone irl?

I think he was based on Werner Herzog - don't know if that's been confirmed by anyone connected to the show, however.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

fenix down posted:

I thought Immortals was pretty decent but I do wish they would have told us who the gods were. I am woefully ignorant of Greek mythology.

Let's put it this way - you're probably better off NOT being familiar with Greek mythology. About the only thing the movie has in common with the source material is the names of the gods and the main character.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its like Tarsim has a vague knowlages of the Classical gods, and just kind of made the rest up.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That aside, it was a beautifully-filmed movie and I dug the slow-mo CGI gore at the end. It wasn't a great movie but it was pretty to look at.