Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ServoMST3K posted:

What are some movies that really give a nice sense of weight and urgency to the use of firearms? A good number of films that involve hails of bullets don't tend to capture my attention. Also, I'd prefer less recommendations for war films, since I have a bunch of those on my list I need to watch anyway.

For reference, I've seen a fair chunk of the more popular action/adventure choices like Die Hard (which I actually thought handled the employment of guns very well, despite some scenes of heavy use) and most of the obvious films from the 80s, but not a whole bunch of independent films that involve guns in any meaningful way.
I like the way guns are handled in Way of the Gun. The shoot outs don't have anyone doing stupid poo poo just because it looks cool. Early on there is a standoff in a hospital lobby with a bunch of people looking at them and Ryan Philippe yells "can't you people see there are guns here," just sort of annoyed at people not taking them seriously and leaving. I'm not someone who usually notices major mistakes that movies make, like cocking guns multiple times in a row, but to my lay eyes it looked like a very accurate portrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

the Bunt posted:

I'm not really sure where to ask this but it's something I was always curious about. I watched Beavers IMAX today, and wondered how these crews can get so close and intimate with animals with what I'm assuming is quite a bit of filming equipment and crew members. For instance, there is one scene where the river surface has frozen and we see the beaver's taking refuge in this little cavern type thing that's only accessible from going underwater.

I haven't seen the Beavers movie, but the Planet Earth series has a small making of feature at the end of every episode and a lot of the time it seems like it's just one guy hiding in a camouflage tent for weeks at a time with an incredibly nice camera, hoping to get a five second shot of some tropical bird's mating dance. Also, giant zoom lenses and remote cameras.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maybe I'm just having a massive brain fart, but the worst sequel/prequel thread made me think. I can name lots of sequels that are good, but I can't really think of any prequels that are actually any good. I also can't think of any older prequels. Are prequels a modern thing? Are there any good ones?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

Does netflix instant always put on the theatrical version of a movie? Or do they sometimes put the unrated/director's cut on or both?

I wanted to know because I was going to watch Live Free or Die Hard and I'd heard there were multiple versions. Then I checked again and realized that it wasn't even on instant. But now I'm curious about other movies.

I know that Fired Up is the unrated cut. So it's definitely not always the theatrical version. But I don't know if it's mentioned which version any particular movie is. Except Blade Runner, they tell you which is which for that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time ever, and as it's a film I've never really read about I didn't realise it had such an incredibly racist portrayal of a japanese person in it. Can anyone suggest any other films that have suprisingly racist moment in them?

The (amazingly choreographed and fantastically performed) climax of Fred Astaire's Swing Time is this
Get's interesting at about 1:30

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't actually seen it but I've heard really great things about the Imax presentation of The Dark Knight, which isn't 4:3, but does have a taller frame than 16:9. Specifically the composition of the sequences shot in Imax, which were able to show the height of the buildings better. To give a more recent example of effective use of squarer formats

In general most talented directors or DPs could probably make beautiful movies in either format, as long as they were shooting with the format in mind.

Because of the Noirvember thread, I'm watching a bunch of movies in 4:3 and there is some impressive stuff done with the camera.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Which movies does Pam Grier pull a gun from her hair? I know one of them is either Coffy or Foxy Brown, those movies blend together in my head. Google indicates it's Foxy Brown, which means Coffy is the one where she hides razor blades in her hair. But I'm pretty sure she does the gun trick in another movie also.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is this really something people enjoy? I never would have thought there were people that enjoyed the preshow enough to want to add it to their home viewing.

I can see it being fun if you are having a bunch of people over, allowing time for everyone to get settled before the movie starts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kapalama posted:

But you do drop something of it when you leave, and pick it back up when you go home right?

Everyone I know does this except Californians who are convinced they don't have an accent.

The reason Californians don't think they have an accent is becasue most people on tv and in movies sound like us. (I wasn't actually raised in California, but I live there now and was raised in Washington, which mostly has a very similar "non-accent" to California, although I've noticed that there are very different speaking patterns between north and south California that are almost separate accents. The Native Californians I know can't tell the difference, so maybe I'm imagining things).

Also, I have an Aunt from Spain, who hates Penelope Cruise because she hasn't lost more of her accent after working in Hollywood for so long. To be fair to my Aunt, she has a less pronounced accent then Penelope Cruise does in her most recent English Films, despite my Aunt living in Spain).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 19, 2011

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Robert Ryan! That's the one! ... Although I'm a big fan of Carroll O'Connor too (All in the Family is still a funny, funny show today) and Richard Widmark has been good in everything I've seen him in. Thanks, guys!

My favorite story about Richard Widmark was that he would apologize to Sydney Poitier after every take on the movie No Way Out, especially the scenes where he was required to hit Poitier.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

big business sloth posted:

Does anyone know which version of 'Baby Face' netflix has on instant, the theatrical or 'director's cut?'

Um, neither? I just looked and it doesn't show up as streaming. The dvd version they have should have both cuts, but if it doesn't it lists the runtime as 76 minutes, which is the restored version.

edit: Just realized you might be in Canada, which I think has a few different movies streaming than in the US, if that's the case the restored version is 76 minutes and the cut version is 71.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Well the Bourne films shot it into mainstream action films. The form has been around for ages, really, but rarely utilized. I think it's something that works wonderfully if it's handled well, but 70% of the time it isn't. When it adds to the intensity it's great, but when you look at the fight scenes in the newer Batman films it's just boring because you can't see anything.

My question is: people complain that shaky-cam gives them nausea. Are they literally getting nauseous or are they just whining because they find the action hard to follow? I just can't fathom how you'd get headaches or nausea from that.

I used to think people were bullshitting about this, but the part in Cloverfield where they are running up the side of a building that's been knocked down made me queezy, so now that I've experienced it briefly myself, I tend to believe people about it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

It should be mentioned that this name is now retired and they don't use it anymore.

This brings up something I've been wondering about, I know Supernova was released with Thomas Lee credited as the director, but are there other movies, since Allen Smithee was retired, that use a pseudonym for the Director?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's a free 1 week trail for hulu plus, and I was wondering if any of the Criterion's they have are in HD. The one preview I looked at was only in 360p and I'd rather just rent the DVD or Blu if it's available, but if they are in higher quality I'd definitely try and work through some of my back log.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Not to be the guy who only focuses on plot issues in Sci-fi movies, but the sex scene in Terminator is also, you know, absolutely vital to the plot. It sort of drives home the point about being unable to change the past or future when the dude your traveling into the past to keep from being born is fathered by a time traveler.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Mirrors reflecting mirrors? High tech sorcery!

That's actually pretty cool. I've never seen anything about captions at any of the local theaters here. I guess the deaf have to go to specific ones.

I don't usually look for it, but every time I have, if it was a new release they had that. I've never seen any signs at a theater mentioning it though, just look behind you next time you're in the theaters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Quantify! posted:

This is some logic. So if a movie shows a guy firing a gun, it's a subtle echo of every film that's ever had a guy fire a gun? Ah, what a brilliant coincidence... perhaps there is a Jungian collective subconscious that causes film directors to draw upon the same images of men firing guns... or perhaps there's only so many ways to fire a gun and they all look pretty much the same... NO! It must be the hidden language of the cinema.

*shows image of 1942 western*
*shows image of Han Solo firing blaster*

Clearly George Lucas was strongly influenced by Gabby Hayes even if he didn't know it!

You use the word pretentious to describe comedies you don't like, don't you?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was looking at movies available on archive.org and stumbled on this list of the 40 greatest movies available for free and the description for Brother From Another Planet included the phrase "another example of a copyright notice being left off the print, so it immediately fell into the public domain" is that true? If I'm a movie studio or whatever and gently caress up by not including a copyright on my print, the whole movie becomes public domain? I only have a hazy understanding of copyrights for writing, but my understanding is that barring some other agreement, the creator of a work has an automatic copyright.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just saw Last Man Standing and I had two questions. How many movies are based on Yojimbo? And are there any straight up adaptations of Red Harvest, I thought Last Man Standing would be closer to the book since it's set in the same era, but it's beat for beat the same movie as Yojimbo, the credits even say it's based on a story by Kurosawa.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Not really. The closest thing I can think of is Miller's Crossing by the Coens, but even that one removes the private eye aspect. Plot-wise, Brick kinda feels like a cross between Red Harvest and The Maltese Falcon.

According to Wikipedia, Bertolucci considered adapting it in the early '70s with Warren Beatty. That would've been interesting to say the least.

I always figured Miller's Crossing was closer in story to The Glass Key, though I'm sure the Coens read both.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

How about the much more obvious example of David Bowie in labyrinth? Was it a conscious decision to have his cock visible in eberyscene he's in?

I assumed that was part of Bowie's contract.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

sexattack posted:

When I read Red Harvest a few years back I was surprised by how much of the slang the Coen's had lifted for Miller's crossing. I don't have my copy to hand, but I'm fairly sure that a lot of the more striking dialogue, like "Take your flunky and dangle" and "She's a sick twist" is lifted wholesale. I remember being struck on a number of occasions by how blatant it was.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed. I did know that their first film, Blood Simple, took it's title from a quote in the book. But The Glass Key is largely the same story as Miller's Crossing, except The Glass Key has an extra murder mystery thrown in. Book and movie spoilers The main character works for a political boss/mobster who's being pushed out by a rival, purposefully has a falling out with his boss to get thrown out of the organization and goes to work for the rival, sabotages his old boss's rival so his old boss ends up on top again, the only real difference is in the book the protagonist gets the girl in the end

Point is Hammet is loving boss.

Would love there to be a movie that's closer to Red Harvest, I think three or four corrupt organizations, including the law, are all in shambles by the end of that book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NeuroticErotica posted:

Yes. Netflix buys at a low, low, low DVD rate. Sometimes less than $2/copy.

Does anyone have any idea how many copies Netflix buys of a movie, I imagine it varies depending on a movie but for example, it looks like they just got DVDs of The King's Speech, something that probably will be in high demand since it won a bunch of awards and seems like the kind of thing a lot of people would have waited for the DVD, is there anyway to get an idea of how many copies Netflix bought?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Masa posted:

For whatever reason I was thinking about Mrs. Doubtfire the other day and I remembered the VHS having a weird quirk where it changes aspect ratios. Like, it went from widescreen to pan & scan partway into the movie. Why would they have done this? Did this happen to a lot of movies in the VHS era?

I think they would do it occasionally on movies where pan and scan screws up the composition even more than normal. I remember seeing Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet and they switch to widescreen for the priest's soliloquy and then back to pan and scan. I imagine it was pretty haphazardly done, I think Pulp Fiction does it too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Who Greenlighted This poo poo talk about Ender's Game made me think it would be awesome if the movie movie was made in such a way as to subvert the original themes of the book. I know Starship Troopers and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls could be said to do this to some extent, but are there other movies that intentionally subvert their source material?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SubG posted:

Does something like Clooney's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002) count? It treats the source material---Chuck Barris' autobiography in which he claims to have been a CIA assassin---with complete deadpan seriousness, but comes off on the whole as a broad, somewhat dark, farce.

I haven't read the book, but I always assumed it was itself a bit of a farce.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Trump posted:

That's actually a pretty good question. For the smoking itself I imagine they use herbal tobacco, but for buds I really don't have a clue. Unactivated hemp perhaps? (Or whatever it's called) :)

I don't know about the bud, but I'm pretty sure you're right about the herbal tobacco. I seem to remember an interview or something with Seth Rogan where he mentioned that it was the same herbal poo poo they sometimes sell at head shops, and that it tastes terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

The lead developer for Magic: The Gathering has said something very similar, concerning how to design and develop cards. The more restrictions on what designers can do (green cards can't do X, blue cards are good at Y), the more interesting result.

Onto a movie question:

Where can I find some information how the size of camera lens (or is it the film itself? I dunno...) influences the end result of what's being filmed? I'm watching the Underworld: Evolution commentary (shush), and they talk a bit about how smaller sets look bigger on a 10, 12, 14mm lens.

Assuming that it was shot on 35mm film, at least in still photography, lenses shorter than 50mm can create visual distortion, making things appear farther away. Also the longer the lens the closer background things appear to the foreground. Somewhere there is a gif that demonstrates it pretty easily.

Edit: Found the gif, it's in this post don't know what the rules are about image leaching off someone who all ready put it up on SA, but I figured better safe than sorry.

double edit: A little more explanation. The parts where the houses appear very far away were shot with shorter lenses (10mm, 14mm) when the houses are closer likely a telephoto lens was used (200mm or longer). The photographer was laso having to move the camera farther away as longer lenses were used to keep the main subject the same size. You can see how the beach looks a lot bigger when the smaller lens is used. (I'm guessing on the focal lengths in the example, but as a general rule, in still photography, when shooting on 35mm film, a 50mm lens will produce an image comparable to what the human eye sees.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 25, 2012

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NeuroticErotica posted:

If you do that your pizza shatters into a thousand shards :(

Do you know this from personal experience, did you watch Cobra and say to yourself, "I should modle my life after this guy"?

They were trying to show that either he was too poor for a decent fridge, or that the future was so hosed that utilities were significantly underpowered that the fridge didn't keep things cold and freezer didn't freeze poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Oh. Well, in that case, I think the answer to the initial question is "X-Men First Class is not a very well-written movie."

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but that answers most questions about the film.

Edit: I just realized, doesn't Fox have to make X-Men movies fairly frequently to keep the license? Do they have anything in the works that we know about?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

morestuff posted:

They just announced a sequel to First Class scheduled for 2014.

I'd watch it, if they got Fassbender and McAvoy again, though I thought it was a mistake to have Magneto become a villain at the end of the First Class, it seemed rushed in the movie and they knew they were going to do a sequel anyways, given the rights issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Brett Easton Ellis keeps tweeting about adapting 50 Shades of Grey, is he just pulling our legs or is this a real thing that's happening? Because given it's sales I know people are at least looking at adapting it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

People are also looking at adapting other stories to be Fifty Shades of Grey.

Get ready for Sherlock Holmes to use that violin bowstring of his in deliciously naughty ways, ladies!

This actually makes complete sense, given 50 Shades of Grey's origins as an erotic Twilight fanfic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yep. It's a redundant film (both for Scorcese and the genre). Although, I love Matt Damon in it.

Matt Damon is a better actor than Leonardo DiCaprio by a long shot just so you guys know

The Departed is funny to me, because it feels like Scorcese was a huge influence on the original HK flick, so he's remaking something that was already imitating himself. It has a bunch of great performances, plus I'm Irish and I have a bunch of Italian friends, so it's nice having a gangster flick about us after Casino, Goodfelows, The Godfather, Sopranos and god knows how many other ones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I know in some cases the kids are not actually kids, but older kids who look young, or little people. I remember there was a bunch of people making a stink about the Tin Drum about the lead feeling up nude actresses and seeing sex, but the producers of the film saying that he's not a kid, he's just a little person. Uh, is that the correct term?

I think it varies from movie to movie, The opening of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss could likely never be shot as is today, (it gets extra creepy when you realize the kid is Mario Van Peebles and his dad is directing it). Taxi Driver has some issues too with using Jodie Foster at age 13,

Wikipedia posted:

Some critics expressed concern over 13-year-old Jodie Foster's presence during the climactic shoot-out. However, Foster stated that she was present during the setup and staging of the special effects used during the scene; the entire process was explained and demonstrated for her, step by step. Rather than being upset or traumatized, Foster said, she was fascinated and entertained by the behind-the-scenes preparation that went into the scene. In addition, before being given the part, Foster was subjected to psychological testing to ensure that she would not be emotionally scarred by her role, in accordance with California Labor Board requirements.

In A History of Violence the movie opens with a gun pressed to a kids head and then they cut away with a gunshot sound, the special features show the actor playing the killer talking with the kid, showing him (her? I can't remember, the kid was young enough that it's hard to tell) the gun and explaining that it's not a real gun.

Mysterious Skin, when you watch the scenes with the pedophile coach and small children, it's cut in such a way that the child actors were likely not even in the room for the creepy parts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

adamj1982 posted:

The reverse lebowski thing makes sense. I'm not sure what I need explaining really. I guess I just feel like I am missing something with it.

It may be that I have recently really gotten into Twin Peaks and someone said I should check this movie out. Having really enjoyed Barton Fink, it's been on my 'to watch' list anyhow. But I'm starting to notice that anything taking place in the northwest is said to be "like Twin Peaks" regardless of content.

It doesn't take place in the Northwest? Though I can see some similarities in the characters of Kyle McLachlin's FBI agent and Frances McDormand's detective. Exceedingly competent but not jaded or hard-boiled, which is relatively unique for fictional cops.

It's definitely more of a comedy than a drama (a dark one), if that helps, I hadn't thought of the Lebowski comparison, but in retrospect it makes a lot of sense. Fargo might be my favorite Coen Brothers film, but it took a couple viewings for me it to click.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

Is the London IMAX special from most IMAX's in the UK? I just visited my local one (not London) and although I'm pretty sure it shows the same print, etc there's something really different in the experience & I don't know if it's a technical thing or just my mind making the London one better on purpose because the grass is always greener. I want to say the London IMAX screen was curved in a special way but I may just be making that up.

In America at least, they licensed the name IMAX out, so there are theaters claiming to be IMAX that are smaller than what used to be an IMAX screen. So the London one might be proper IMAX and the one you just went to is the new-fangled "bigger than a normal screen but not as big as IMAX" IMAX.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

adamj1982 posted:

So what is the difference in IMAX vs. regular theater films? I don't have an IMAX theater near me, so have never been.

Like I said earlier, IMAX used to be loving gigantic, and those screens are still around, but now there's a bunch of slightly larger than average screen that call themselves IMAX, Here's the difference between the 2

And here's a comparison to normal theaters

Both images are taken from http://www.daveonfilm.com/screen-size-does-matter-with-imax-movies-8908.html

If it's a multiplex that has both normal and "IMAX" screens, it's going to be the smaller version.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Is there any site that gives a good detailed summaries of movies? I tend to watch movies about 30 minutes at a time as I'm going to bed, so it can take me three or four days to get through one. Because of this, I miss details here and there which leaves me wondering about why something happened or how a certain character was involved. While a movie may be good, it might not be good enough for me to want to spend another few days watching it just to get the answers. I'd like to be able to read a summary to clear up those nagging questions. I know wikipedia has this for some movies. Just wondering if there are sites that have full summaries.

Wikipedia often has in depth summaries of the plots of movies, I find it annoying because I mostly want information about cast, crew or production history. I once dated a girl who hated scary movies, but would always read the Wikipedia page for whatever the newest Saw film that came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

I think Mulholland Dr. is definitely a film he wants you to figure out. I remember my friend showing me his DVD copy of it, and it came with an insert that actually has some clues on it, stuff like telling you to pay attention to when the color red shows up and others. And of course, stuff like Elephant Man and Straight Story are much more up front in their narratives. But others, like Inland Empire and Eraserhead, while you can spend as much time as you want speculating, and even be satisfied with your analysis, I personally see those films as more of the experience than the meaning behind what you see. Speaking of Eraserhead, I remember reading an interview with Lynch where he said, at the time, that no one had ever come close to understanding what it's about. Granted, he could just be talking bullshit, but perhaps not.

I'll be honest, the fact that David Lynch gives you clues to figure out Mulholland Drive makes me think that he doesn't want us to be able to figure it out, not that we shouldn't try, just I wouldn't put it past him to use the opportunity to gently caress with us.