Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ZenMaster posted:

I figured he was in there for a reason. He was running to catch the train along with Adrian Brody at the start of the film and only Adrian made it on board. Adrian smiled and looked back as if to say 'I am leaving him behind' or something.

It seemed important. I mean, it showed him again later.

Well it's definitely for a sense of loss, and Murray played the father figure in Life Aquatic so that way of looking at it makes sense. He was symbolic dad.

The point of the ending is they can't truly come back together as a family, but it was the attempt that mattered. The big metaphor is the man-eating tiger. That's what was keeping their mother from seeing them, but they decided to fight it anyways. Then the train they climb on at the end is called the Bengal Tiger. They accepted the struggle as a natural part of the relationship.

The parade of people in the dream sequence is like a long list of the people they have to forgive or get over to get on with their lives. Then that scene ends with the tiger too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Encryptic posted:

I don't think I have the special edition - it's just a single disc and I know for sure I saw two versions available, both of which had a cardboard case. Additionally, the 2-disc special edition has different cover art (a shot of Plainview looking down into an oil well) whereas my copy has a head shot of Plainview.

Guess I'll just keep hoping they re-release it with a better case.

They definitely have a plastic-cased version of the one you have, because there are piles of them in stores around here in Canada.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Now Commando - that's completely loving mindless.

Commando is THE archetypal action film, and is consequently loaded with significance.

'Popcorn movie' vs 'movie that has themes' is such a false dichotomy anyways that I don't even know where to start.