Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

twistedmentat posted:

Another quesion; what was the first movie to be adapted from something other than existing Book or Play?
I'm sure there's an earlier example, but the oldest movie I know off the top of my head would be Bergman's The Virgin Spring, which came out in 1960 and was based on an ancient Swedish song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

DannoMack posted:

What exactly happened on the set of The Devil's Own? Why was everyone so pissed off at each other?
In short: Brad Pitt signed onto a very dark film. Harrison Ford read the script and wanted significant changes made to the script before he would sign on (Pitt was already locked in at this point) and I believe he made more rewrite requests as shooting went on. Pitt was pissed off as the script was literally changing into something else entirely right before his eyes, wanted to walk and the studio said "Do that and we'll sue your rear end into oblivion." So Pitt reluctantly stayed on.

Now I can't tell if Pitt's awful acting was because he's an utter failure in dramatic roles or if it was some sort of revenge.

Entertainment Weekly, back when they used to write interesting articles, wrote some in-depth pieces about the whole situation:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,293309,00.html
http://www.bradpittpress.com/artint_97_ew2.php

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Ford is terrible for that kind of poo poo. He got them to keep rewriting his role in 'Traffic' and then just pulled out at the last minute. Michael Douglas stepped in and did the role as a favour.
That's correct. But it should be noted that Steven Soderbergh approached Douglas for the part in the first place, but Douglas passed because he thought his character wasn't written very well and was underdeveloped. So then Soderbergh was approached by Ford, who was looking to shake up his image. But he also had the same concerns as Douglas, and worked with Soderbergh to better develop the character (a couple of scenes in the film involving Douglas exist solely due to Ford's suggestions and notes); but for whatever reason, he just dropped out, and almost completely torpedoed the film's financial backing in the process (Soderbergh has said he never really did get a reason from Ford).

By that time, Douglas had read the rewritten script (Catherine Zeta-Jones had signed on during Soderbergh's initial pitch to Douglas and was receiving rewrites), liked the changes and signed on. For what it's worth, Soderbergh has said that Ford's notes made the character far more interesting than what was originally written. However, I'm glad Ford dropped out, as I really can't see him playing that part.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

DannoMack posted:

Thanks! This stuff is really interesting to me.

What are some other famous examples of feuding stars/writers/directors nearly torpedoing a film?

Here's a few more. You've probably heard about many of them, but if you haven't:

- Edward Norton and Tony Kaye butting heads over the editing of American History X; since New Line backed Norton, Kaye essentially got locked out of the editing room. So rather than appeal through the normal channels to get the situation resolved, Kaye took out ads in Daily Variety slamming Norton and New Line, filed a $200 million lawsuit against New Line, ordered the DGA to list him as "Humpty Dumpty" as opposed to the standard "Alan Smithee" pseudonym, and brought a priest, a rabbi and a monk into a meeting with New Line over the final cut. Yes, he actually brought a live-action setup to a joke into a production meeting. I think the movie is pretty dumb, but I am curious to see what Kaye's version looks like.

- Stephen Norrington and Sean Connery were at each other's throats reportedly every single day while making The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which not only resulted in a completely poo poo film, it caused both director and actor to quit their respective fields. (Connery also got into several arguments with Michael Bay during the shooting of The Rock.)

- The Terminator Salvation and Superman Returns debacles (I'm sure somebody can go into more detail about those than I can).

- Kevin Costner is notorious for imposing his will on directors in the editing room, even if said director is a respected filmmaker (Sam Raimi) or a very old friend (Kevin Reynolds, whom Costner locked out the editing room not once, but twice with Robin Hood and Waterworld). In 2005, Costner signed onto Rumor Has It and there is a persistent rumor (pardon the pun) that Costner was constantly complaining about first-time director Ted Griffin and kept making moves at Warner Bros. to get him fired off the film; but there are other reports stating that Costner wasn't even on the set at the time as his part wasn't scheduled to be filmed yet. Ultimately, Steven Soderbergh, who was an exec producer, was the one who fired Griffin, which completely ruined their friendship (Griffin wrote Ocean's Eleven and chose Rumor over writing Ocean's Twelve). Rob Reiner was brought in to finish the movie, but it pretty much was a disaster for everyone involved, and died a quick death at the box office.

- Not sure if this counts, seeing all the acclaim it earned (it's also my favorite film of 1999), but on Three Kings, David O. Russell got into a physical fight with George Clooney after the latter observed the former pushing an extra to the ground (reportedly the extra wasn't throwing one of the other actors to the ground hard enough). Clooney told Russell he was way out of line doing that, Russell told Clooney to gently caress off and for good measure, head butted him; Clooney responded by grabbing Russell by the throat and choking him until some crew members broke up the fight. To add to the fun, Warner Brothers were constantly on Russell's rear end over everything in the film, including the budget, the violence, the cinematography, the political message and even a bit of dialogue about Michael Jackson that Russell was legally ordered not to shoot. The end result was fantastic, though.

(Man, you could devote an entire thread to Russell and his dickish ways. Some favorites:

- The notorious leaked footage of him screaming and yelling at Lily Tomlin on the set of I Heart Huckabees
- Russell courting Jude Law for a role in Huckabees, only to find out that Law was very close to committing to Christopher Nolan's The Prestige, which Nolan was developing at the time; Russell decided the best way to resolve the situation was to corner Nolan at an industry event, where he literally put Nolan into a headlock and told him to drop Law. I guess it worked, since Law went onto star in Huckabees and dropped out of The Prestige.
- Russell also co-wrote and directed a film a couple of years ago called Nailed that may never see the light of day, despite having quite a few stars, one of whom, James Caan, quit after fighting with Russell. With only a bit more to shoot, the film's financing completely collapsed, resulting in the entire cast and crew walking off the project.)

- The Salkinds wanting an incredibly campy version of Superman and fighting with Richard Donner over his more reverent, serious take on Superman. The Salkinds ultimately won out, and told Donner to piss off while shooting the sequel, resulting in Gene Hackman walking away, refusing to be directed by Donner's replacement, Richard Lester, and both Margot Kidder and Christopher Reeve badmouthing the producers. But hey, lots of people love Superman II.

If you're interested in reading about conflicts between directors, actors and/or studios, you should get down to your local library or bookstore and seek out the following:

- The aforementioned The Kid Stays in the Picture by Robert Evans (NeuroticErotica is completely right: it is an amazing book and an even amazinger audiobook)

- Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by Peter Biskind (about how several 70's mavericks--Scorsese, Spielberg, Coppola, Altman, et al--ran roughshod over the studios, and paid for it dearly once the 70's were over)

- Down and Dirty Pictures by Biskind (focuses on the indie film scene from the early 90's to 2003 or so. It's basically a 400-page :rant: against Harvey Weinstein and the endless parade of directors and actors he's hosed over, but oh, what a glorious read it is)

- Disney War by James Stewart (not so much conflict here between actors/directors as it is conflict between various executives and studio heads at Disney from the 80s to the early 00s)

- The Men Who Would Be King by Nicole LaPorte (about the formation and ultimate failure of Dreamworks)

- Rebels on the Backlot by Sharon Waxman (looks at six directors--Soderbergh, Tarantino, Russell, David Fincher, Spike Jonze and Paul Thomas Anderson. Just a warning that nobody really comes off well: Jonze is a borderline-retarded manchild, Tarantino is a dick who has no problem using people to further his goals and then dropping them, Anderson is an arrogant cokehead, Russell a major rear end in a top hat, Soderbergh is aloof and slightly cold, etc.)

- Killer Instinct by Jane Hamsher (Hamsher was a producer on Natural Born Killers and writes about the making of it. Suffice to say, Oliver Stone and several of his crew members are not portrayed in a positive light. However, most of Hamsher's venom is reserved for Tarantino; what she wrote about him pissed Tarantino off so much he ran into one of the film's other producers, Don Murphy, and punched him over it)

- Spike, Mike, Slackers & Dykes by John Pierson (not really a whole lot of conflicts here, but if you're remotely interested in Sundance, how indie films are produced/sold, and directors like Spike Lee, Errol Morris, Michael Moore and Kevin Smith, you owe it to yourself to read this)

- The Greastest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made by David Hughes (haven't read this one yet, but just by browsing the table of contents, there's bound to be some good stories in there)

- A Pound of Flesh and What Just Happened? by Art Linson (Linson is a veteran producer who has worked on a bunch of films and has some great stories to tell about said films)

- High Concept by Charles Fleming (how Don Simpson and his partner Jerry Bruckheimer created some of the biggest blockbusters of the 80's and early 90's. Warning: this is not for the squeamish, as rampant drug abuse, penis enlargement surgery and some of the most utterly depraved poo poo ever done to prostitutes are described in detail. You're basically gonna need to take a shower after reading this.)

EDIT: Forgot about another story. Gene Hackman did not enjoy working with Wes Anderson on The Royal Tenenbaums, felt the role was beneath him, and at one point called Anderson a oval office. Know that scene in the movie where Hackman and Ben Stiller yell at each other in the closet? That was reportedly based on an argument between Hackman and Anderson (that happened in the same closet, no less).

Green Vulture fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 31, 2010

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Do you know where you got this from? I'm not trying to attack your credibility, I had just never heard this before, despite the fact that it seems like you repeatedly hear about how Gene Hackman's "Don't write it for me, I won't do it if you do" response when Wes Anderson originally told Hackman he was writing a part for him.
Sure: that anecdote comes from Rebels on the Backlot. I checked the list of sources at the end, and all it says is "confidential source." I do remember that when the film came out, I read a number of articles on it, and many of them mentioned or hinted at tensions between Anderson and Hackman, with one specifically mentioning the argument in the closet.

About that "don't write it for me..." bit: the book mentions that Anderson spent an entire year basically wearing down Hackman until he agreed to take on the role. Is any of this brought up on the DVD commentary?

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Though it should be said that the only reason he was able to make Zodiac was because he agreed to make Benjamin Button as well.
Can you explain this? I've never heard that before. I've read in some places that Fincher has always shown a sort of neutral, muted feeling about Button, but I've never heard that he was contractually obligated to make it.

If you need another opinion on the movie: it's very pretty to look at, but that's about it. The movie kind of lost me right around that awful "life all comes down to a series of coincidences" scene; that was some shockingly amateur stuff right there.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Haven't seen the movie, but it could be a number of things:
- Might be lines from the trailer, which used footage not seen in the final version
- Might be lines from deleted scenes; a quick search shows that the DVD has deleted scenes--maybe they're from there?
- IMDB quotes is all user-submitted, so the person might be not remembering lines correctly. Were the quotes just off a bit, or did they look completely made up?

I have my own question. Having just watched The Lady From Shanghai, I have to ask: what was with Welles' Irish accent? More importantly, what made him believe he could pull it off?

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't know if Welles was trying to pull off a good accent, or if he could if he wanted to, but it certainly gets your attention.
Oh, it got my attention. But in a way where it was actually starting to distract me and I was losing interest in the film, though it recovered nicely during the trippy funhouse finale. Who knows, maybe I'll warm up to both the accent and the movie if I ever feel the urge to watch it a second time.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

NeuroticErotica mentioned something about Troublemaker not being a place where you want to work. Is RR a boss from hell or something?
I'm bumping this up because it got lost in the shuffle and I want NeuroticErotica to come in here and spill with any insider knowledge.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

Squid Hat posted:

I watched Cronos last night and the whole movie had this kinda jerky stop-motion-esque thing going on with the motion in it. I dunno if I can explain it better than that.

My question, is that something deliberate that Del Toro did, or was Netflix messing up? Either way it gave the movie this cool other-worldly feel too it that I enjoyed.
The same thing happened on Netflix streaming about halfway through Swamp Thing (awful movie, by the way). Every once in awhile Netflix will screw up like that; the remake of House on Haunted Hill messed up the aspect ratio so everyone in the movie looks unnaturally stretched out and slightly flattened, and there was a horror anthology called Trapped Ashes where the audio was out of sync with the action for several minutes, and I mean that literally.

Hmmm, this post makes me realize I watch lovely horror movies on Netflix more than I should.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

Korak posted:

Any more behind the scenes shots like this from Taxi Driver?
That depends. You have $1,000 to spend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Fortunately Taschen always ends up releasing cheaper versions of these for around $50-60. Can't wait to get the Kubrick Napoleon one.
Oh, I know, I know...and as a huge Scorsese fan, it's driving me nuts patiently waiting for Taschen to announce the cheaper version.