Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

How does health insurance work with studios? Are actors and directors insured just while they're working on a movie? Or will a studio have their attached staff (whether actor, director, etc) insured? Does an actor have a little bit taken out of their check for insurance?

Hell, for that matter, does an actor working on a movie get paid a lump sum, or do they get a check every two weeks like most of us do?

Every film has its own insurance policy which covers losses to production due to illness etc. There can be additional insurance for the stars (and sometimes director) on which the film depends called “essential elements”, which covers the entire budget (or financing expended to date) is a star can’t complete the film. The film’s insurance doesn’t cover the actors’ health insurance eg if they need to visit a doctor. Like other freelancers (which is what they are) they need to arrange that themselves.
The actors negotiate a lump sum which is then paid weekly during shoot (so that if they are fired for cause or can’t complete the film they are only paid to date). It’s often escrowed with their agents prior to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Is Spider-verse suitable for a 6-year-old?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Thanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Are credits required after movies?

Yes. Crew and other contracts specify a credit in the end roller. If you could get everyone to agree to drop it then there would t be credits, but as end roller credits are getting longer, not shorter, that’s unlikely.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

Isn't that debunked? I don't get why Star Wars would have stricter rules than Citizen Kane, West Side Story, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Godfather. Hell, West Side Story has absolutely nothing besides the title while the others at least have a production credit.

You can have title credits(presentation and production) at the front and main credits at the end (including writer, director, cast) provided that no individual credits appear at the front. So opening credits might be

Fox Searchlight presents
In association with BBC Films
A Smelly Fart production
Produced In association with Stinky Poo Films
“The Turd”
Then the film.
End main credits before end roller would be:
Daniel Day Lewis
Jason Statham
Stormy Daniels
“The Turd”
Directed by Roger Corman
Written by William Goldman
Produced by Edward Goldfinger
Etc

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bedshaped posted:

Is Stanley Tucci just the stage name of David S. Goyer?

That’s uncanny

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Is there a legal/contractual requirement for studios to put their vanity cards in movie trailers, or do they just do it to foster brand recognition (or for like pacing or to satisfy a norm or whatever)?

Oh no, their distribution contract will specify that they have the right to do it. They insist. It’s branding and ego.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's mediocre writing with two great actors. They elevate some parts of the material, but some of it is unsalvageable (like the infamous fried chicken scene). How it all shakes out depends on your tolerance for the way it deals with its themes compared to how much you enjoy watching two great actors play off each other.

This is a good take. I agree.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I assume Addams Family has been mentioned?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Detective Thompson posted:

Maybe it's meant to destroy incoming space debris that would damage/destroy the prison. That would probably be better handled by something other than miniguns, but maybe that's the in-movie explanation.

Yeah. Or maybe just because it’s cool.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

You could watch Band of Brothers in one sitting and call it a 10 hour long movie.

BoB is so drat good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

got any sevens posted:

Tom Hardy was in BoB???

Its actually sad how many careers didnt really pan out of BoB actors.

It’s actually remarkable how many did. If you think about how many actors never succeed, and how many went on from BOB to have viable working careers it’s actually a really high rate. At least I think so.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

David Schwimmer hasn't been in anything of note since Band of Brothers.

Apart from the fact that it’s not true, he hardly needs to. He can just sit back and count his Friends residuals.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

Unless he was stupid with his cash, he doesn't even need that. The cast was making a million bucks per episode for the final season.

Yeah, that too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Easy Diff posted:

:yeah:

It's really criminal how much better AFV is than OG Addams.

Yeah. The first one is pretty good but the second one is brilliant. I always use it as an example of that rare beast, the sequel that’s better than the original.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

How often do actors know when they're in a bad movie? I don't mean the ones doing SyFy originals or Z-movies, who know what kind of schlock they're putting out; I'm talking about like, Wild Wild West, Stealth, Battlefield Earth, movies like that. Are the actors aware the movie sucks, or do they think they're making a worthwhile product?

Unless they really need the money or know they are working for a pay check most actors don’t believe that the film they’ve signed up to will be bad. Most actors of reasonable stature have enough roles to choose from that they’ll pick ones that they think are going to be good (or pay them a lot).

Less well-known actors might know that the film is bad but they’re just doing their job.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

on the acting front i could understand not knowing how something's going to turn out since you only have your slice of the production to judge off of. but how do the people at the higher levels who have a bird's eye view not realize it.

How many films get made that turn out to be really good compared to those that are ok, mediocre or bad? Not that many. But in almost every case the people involved thought it would be good from the outset. It’s really hard to know until you see the semi-finished product. Making a good film is very hard - there are so many elements that have to be right, and the way they interact has to be right - which is why there are very few producers and directors who can do it consistently. Even the greats often have a couple of misfires.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

And also, as a business, even when they realize halfway through that ti's going to be bad... well... you can still make money off of it so just you just keep pushing forward!

Yep. Plus if you stop halfway you’ve lost a good 60% or so of your budget already, and if it’s an independent film it would be very hard to get all the financiers and producer to agree to pull out. That money is then gone.

I’ve never heard of a film that’s abandoned because it’s looking bad.

therattle fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 5, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I coulda sworn there were a few examples of the inverse where an actor was sure a movie was going to suck and then it turned out to be great... anyone else remember?

Alec Guinness in Star Wars, I think. Although he was only half-wrong (not great film but BO smash).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

How much does a theater pay to get a movie? I'm assuming its in the thousands of dollars.

They pay a split of the BO takings less a fixed sum for overheads (the nut), both of which are highly negotiable.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah he got 'im, timid narcissist is such a good description of a certain type of guy

Having met Allen, albeit briefly, this absolutely nails it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's pretty ironic to see Orson Welles of all people call out someone else for being arrogant.

I call people arrogant all the time! :smug:

But this. When I met Allen I didn’t buy his self-effacing shtick one iota.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think he's calling him out for being arrogant in the wrong way.

If Welles had a problem with arrogant people, he was in the wrong business. He dislikes Woody Allen's method of self effacing passive aggressive ego. Also probably the fact Woody Allen was getting money to make movies. So really, at that point Orson probably hated any young auteur.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Empress Brosephine posted:

Any standout Japanese or Chinese movies from the past few years you guys reccomend?

Shoplifters.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

In anthology movies, are the individual segments considered short films? Like say I showed somebody a video of Amateur Night from V/H/S, is that more me showing them a movie clip or a short film? I'm guessing it's movie clip, because I don't think Amateur Night would be eligible for a Best Short Film Academy Award.

The question is, considered by whom? For awards judges, they are not shorts. If you’re making one, it effectively is, and if you’re showing one, likewise, as it’s a standalone piece. Although you could say it needs to be seen in context with the others in the anthology. Depends on structure.
In short (no pun intended), it’s not like there’s a definitive answer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

Maybe it's too modern but The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is phenomenal in my book.

Very, very good film. Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aaaah, I feel like I had some examples of writers or directors throwing the tiniest bit of shade to people not involved with the movie, but now I can't think of any. I know it's happened, though. Like a character being named such and such, who gets killed or humiliated or something, named after some real person who the director hates.

Kind of like what Michael Crichton did with the small penis thing.

One has to be mighty careful about using real makes because of defamation and insurance issues.