Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Probably a stupid question, but in Momento how does the main character know the man he's looking for is named John (or James) G.? Additionally, the person calling him on the phone is Teddy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

bows1 posted:

Does anyone know of any movies, or scenes that are shot in first person?

My friend wrote a script from completely first person and is looking for ideas on how to shoot it. Clips of the scenes would be great, but if not just the names and we can rent them.

P.S. something besides Being John Malcovich.

I remember the death scene towards the end of The Professional/Léon was in first person.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I have two questions regarding Delicatessen: What were those little cylinders that the two tenants were drilling holes in and checking with a tuning fork? And at the final confrontation scene why does Mademoiselle Plusse give Clapet The Australian? I thought from the dancing scenes among others Mademoiselle Plusse was warming to Louison, was that all fake? What did she have to gain from that if so?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I feel like a complete moron asking something so vague, but I'm pretty sure the entirety of La Moustache just went completely over my head with a resounding whoosh.

It doesn't seem like any possibility would explain the behavior of Agnes, Bruno, the girl by the photo booth, and the existence of the Bali pictures that we see. Am I just overcomplicating a simple case of unreliable narrator (and camera I guess)? I'm fine with ambiguity, but nothing is really clicking for me here.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

kapalama posted:

I though you were kidding about that, but sure enough: an impromptu lipsynching dance number. (WTF?)

I avoided Gamer, but I couldn't read this without this scene from Suicide Club springing to mind.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

In After Hours, is there any plausible reason for Marcy having the second-degree burn ointment? She clearly didn't have any burns, but she specifically picks it up when she goes to freshen up in her apartment.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

In After Hours, is there any plausible reason for Marcy having the second-degree burn ointment? She clearly didn't have any burns, but she specifically picks it up when she goes to freshen up in her apartment.

Just quoting this again really quick since it was cut off by Star Wars chat.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I still don't know what I think about the ending of the Mist, really. I like breaking convention, and I totally respect the fact that they were willing to make the crazy fundamentalist woman in the store completely and totally right, but the ending seemed kind of cheap and black comedy-ish. Because of the ending, I mentally file it right next to Very Bad Things and the Matt Dillon Employee of The Month (not the Dane Cook one).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Trump posted:

I don't think he is. Crazy bitch says that if they sacrifice the boy, the mist will got away. When the loving and caring daddy shots the kid the mist disappears

Not to mention she also condemns the supply trip where they find Andre Braugher's body, which ends pretty much exactly as she said.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I haven't seen those movies, but I have seen The Garbage Pail Kids Movie and I have a hard time believing there could be something as bad as that.

If anyone else has seen Nobody Knows Anything!, this is the exact feeling I had.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

What in the world happened with Rumor Has It?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I left The Perfect Storm early and fell asleep during Alexander, and I haven't really regretted either.

I have, however, sat through The Son of the Mask, The Master of Disguise, and a lot of other really goddamn bad movies. I think I've seen about a tenth of that Rottentomatoes list of "worst releases of the decade" in theaters.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

In The Box, in the very last scene when the camera zooms in on the window, you see someone approach Walter and stand next to him. Who was that? I thought it was just one of the suits working for the same aliens Steward was, but I have no idea whether that's right or not.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many dvds have a cardboard sleeve with artwork identical to the dvd cover? I guess I could understand if the cover were different, or if there were artwork on the back and it was the only way to specify features, but they're almost always completely the same. Is it just to make shoplifting harder or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtOv_KJbD4A&t=17s

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

penismightier posted:

Can we officially declare Ed Wood the best Tim Burton movie?

Not while Pee Wee's Big Adventure exists! I actually still need to see Ed Wood

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I had no idea What's Up, Tiger Lily was disowned, although it makes sense after watching it with some friends a few months ago. Jesus, that was painful to sit through.

If you want to go with a classic, Bill Cosby starred/produced/co-wrote Leonard Part 6 and told audiences not to waste their money on it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like you.

And I really need to see both Addams Family movies again, I worry sometimes if I love them so much purely from nostalgia. I also love Joan Cusack.

I actually just rewatched Values a couple of weeks ago, and it stood up way, way better to what I remembered than I expected. Plus I was reminded of the masterful lyrics of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im8lDFn0V3w

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

In M. Night Shyamalan's Devil, why wasn't there any footage of the ex-Marine signing in at the front desk if the Janikowski signature was his? Was the older lady just miming signing into the book?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Usually the director gets put in front of the movie's name, not one of the producers.

Thanks, that totally clears it up.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

I know tons of films go through the test audience routine, and that changes can be and usually are made to films (sometimes against the wishes of writer/directors) if audience reaction at test screenings is negative. Are there any known cases of criticism from test audiences actually improving a movie?

Deep Blue Sea immediately comes to mind.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

KillRoy posted:

I watched Children of Men last night, and was wondering what movie holds the record for the longest scene without cuts?

Shorter than FFD's mention of Russian Ark, but Timecode is a splitscreen with four 90-minute long consecutive takes from different perspectives.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of Short Cuts, I was wondering, are we supposed to believe that Bill and especially the girl who was walking with him decided to cover up seeing Jerry commit murder since the news report at the end said the one fatality was from falling rocks? Maybe I missed something, but I have a hard time seeing that happen.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Going off of a conversation I had earlier today, what movie would you say embodies the stereotypical rom-com best?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Is there anywhere I can find who provided the voice of the guy who started the Celebration dance number in Shaolin Soccer's English dub? There seems to be nothing in the credits, imdb, or anything else. It's streaming on netflix and the guy starts talking at 14:19, if anyone wants to give it a shot.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks! No wonder I recognized him, it was freaking Tom Kenny. Also, I didn't know about voicechasers, that's an awesome thing to have as a resource.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Out of the three movies of Pier Paolo Pasolini up on netflix currently (The Decameron/Arabian Nights/The Canterbury Tales), which would be the best entry point for someone who's never seen something of his before?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Are there any movies that have the Fatal Attraction/Play Misty for Me minor relationship -> stalker dynamic but with a man as the stalker?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Not sure how Fargo hasn't been mentioned under Coen movies that end on that note, since I think it's the only one besides Burn After Reading to say that. iirc there's a similar monologue at the end talking about how people sure are stupid and life goes on.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Yesterday I saw A Zed and Two Noughts, and as dumb as the question sounds, what was going on with the guy dressed in all black and the woman dressed in all red? Outside of them being involved with the Zoo, I have no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it, and every summary/analysis thing I'm reading online just ignores them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Hockles posted:

Yeaaarrrrrghh (Ahh Real Monsters).

I'm 99% sure I remember seeing a clip with this from an older movie in like the '80s where a guy falls out of a window during a bar fight. It'll always be the "falling off a ledge in Dark Forces" scream to me, though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

effectual posted:

I can't watch youtube, but I'm guessing that's the one used in Broken Arrow when the guy is kicked off a train, and if so its name actually is something like "Guy falling off a cliff screaming".

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Ahh! Real Monsters S1 was 1994, Dark Forces was 1995, and Broken Arrow was 1996 - I'm pretty sure the one from 1:45-1:50 on this video is the origin, the description says it's Beethoven's Second (1993) but that doesn't seem right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_818rcC0DA

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jubilee (1978) is one I don't think compartmentalizes very neatly.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My question - What book/play/existing property has been adapted to film the most times? Going through IMDB, I see that Les Miserables and The Three Musketeers seems to show up every few years, but it's hard to say which one has been adapted more. A Christmas Carol has also been adapted many times, but a lot of the adaptations are for tv shows.

I feel like "the bible" is a cop out answer, that's casting a really wide net - I'd say Zorro or Tarzan probably.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

BIZORT posted:

I just watched Kill Bill for the first time since I saw it in theaters however long ago and I have to ask why The Bride getting shot in the chest with a loving shotgun doesn't even get credited as a real wound for more than like 2 minutes? She gets buried after that and then she's suddenly healed up

Wasn't the justification that Budd was shooting her with rock salt, which would be blindingly painful in the short-term but wouldn't cause any serious damage (so she'd suffer as much as possible being buried alive)?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

effectual posted:

I remember seeing a movie around 2000 or so where a guy was shot in the kneecap and it blew apart and he fell to the ground, what movie was it? Also, is that the most painful thing you can do to someone? In Django he mentioned at the end that the house "negro" hadn't mentioned it as punishment.

How cartoonishly did it blow apart? First thought is the guy at like 6:15 here in the origin of O-Ren part of Kill Bill Volume 1.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Friedpundit posted:

Repo's Man's generic brand was from Ralph's, or based off of Ralph's, I don't remember.

Unless Ralph's sold cans just labeled as "FOOD" then based off of.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I was reading this article the other day, and it's been a few years since I've last seen Glengarry Glen Ross, but when Alec Baldwin gives his speech is Roma included in the "First prize is a Cadillac Eldorado, second place is a set of steak knives, third place is you're fired" competition or is he exempt since he's making good sales? I assumed the former and that two people were set to be fired (and it was a foregone conclusion that Roma would win), but the article makes it sound like the latter.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

david_a posted:

No, he's included, but he has a commanding lead in the sales figures so everyone assumes he will get one of the spots. From skimming through the article I'm not sure where you're getting the implication that he's exempt.

I think I missed the "at least" when I read the "one of these three men is losing their job" or something. vOv

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'll switch it up and say that The Rules of Attraction used the flashback device better than any other movie I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Proper Star Wars episode order: 4-5-4-2-6-5-5-6-TFA-4-1-ACB:DL-3-2-1-Rogue One