Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Remote Viewer posted:

Are there any good 'serious' film podcasts? (By serious I mean the opposite of something like AICN's previews)

Mondomovie Podcast has been my favorite for a couple years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rake Arms posted:

I often find myself defending Tarantino when people say "He just copies other artists." Fist, he openly acknowledges the filmmakers he borrows from, and second can you really say that Kill Bill is exactly like *insert movie here*? Sure, you can note the similarities to Lady Snowblood or Death Rides a horse, but can you really say that there are any movies out there that achieve the same style as Kill Bill? How about Inglourious Basterds? No, because the key to his style is that it's reflexive. Like a Warhol painting, a Tarantino film takes this and that from pop culture and puts a new spin on it to get you thinking about it in a different way.

I think my problem with Tarantino is that he knows all this poo poo but hasn't internalized his influences. I feel like the reason he gets away with it is because whatever he's referencing, you probably haven't heard of it or seen it before.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FitFortDanga posted:

Why not? The action blockbuster is a perfectly valid subset of cinema.

Alright, so why isn't Mad Max 2 a Criterion film? Or, as long as we're naming bad films, why is Armageddon Criterion but not ID4? It's a pretty good question that I don't think has ever been explained adequately.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Most of that Shaw Bros music is stock/library music anyway.

Kentucky Shark posted:

Well for one, Mad Max 2 and Armageddon are two totally different movies from two different eras. And it's not like Criterion needs to explain why they release each DVD. I guess I come at it from a different angle than a lot of people do because Criterion DVDs never necessarily indicated the movie itself was great, but rather that it was something notable worth some serious analysis.

Noting that a movie is worth serious analysis is a pretty substantial qualitative judgement, I just always thought there was something a little shameless and senseless about anoiting Armageddon with the Criterion label.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kapalama posted:

Starship Troopers:
Are the special effects supposed to look bad?
(Never seen it; it's on hulu; five minutes in and I hate it so far)

I always felt like Starship Troopers CG really holds up for a 13 year old movie, especially seeing how busy it is all the time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HoldYourFire posted:

Apparently there's a Diamond Age TV special or something in development/limbo, but I've never heard about Snow Crash (obviously I've read it).

They were supposed to be doing that for HBO, but the last I read about that was probably like 5 years ago.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think there is a person alive who will doubt Taratino's film awareness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You would be thinking of the final duel in Sanjuro. It's absurdly over top in the same way that the finale of Throne of Blood is utterly ridiculous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's like he had a bunch of Capri Suns strapped to him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like Sanjuro more than Yojimbo because I really appreciate the sending up of Mifune's character. Both are great, but I've watched Sanjuro more times just because it's got a much lighter tone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bad movie knight posted:

On a related note, something I've always wondered: Do they ever use real drugs in the filming of a movie? You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex? I wonder if the same thing happens with drugs, especially coke.

Fake weed is usually that legal "herbal" poo poo you see advertised in High Times.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I bet you they work just like the MPAA and watch a 5 minute trailer cut by the producers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crows Turn Off posted:

They didn't use military equipment, that's how it got made. For example, the Black Hawk helicopters were actually digitally-replaced Hueys.

Ha! That explains it. And yeah, I guess it never even occured to me how anti-US-military-industrial-complex Green Zone is, even though the ending practically hangs drapes on it. I guess I just assumed Greengrass was cashing in goodwill from United 93.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

The Lynch film in that is loving astonishing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=147636485853600786

The Lynch segment is here for anyone who hasn't seen it. It sends chills up my spine every time I watch it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Little Shop of Horrors is an easy one.

The Thin Red Line is arguably a remake.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think the only time it truly worked for me in a Spike Lee film was Malcolm X. Every other time, it's just seemed showy and off-putting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hahah, clearly John McTiernan of all loving people stands on the shoulders of Titans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One could argue that Das Boot has a twist ending.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

But it's not set during the cold war. Make a sub genre specific enough and every decent film is arguably the greatest.

See I literally thought he meant "Sub genre"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The diner in Mulholland Drive is Caesar's.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zwille posted:

Since when are PS3 consoles region free?

He has that backward, Blu Rays on PS3 are region locked but games are region free.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think people have really softened to the Soderbergh Solaris as time has passed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zoux posted:

Is there a site that lists upcoming watch instantly releases?

http://streamingsoon.blogspot.com/ is a good site for this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bigfoot is so domesticated in popular mythology that it'd be like making a horror movie about Chewbacca.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

I saw The American a week or so ago and enjoyed it. However, I see that a lot of people don't like it, calling it the "worst movie ever", boring, etc. I figure most people who don't like it were looking for George Clooney as Jason Bourne.

What do you guys think of the movie? I don't see a thread on it.

There were some pretty articulate criticisms of the American and none of them were "it didn't have enough action in it".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KingaSlipek posted:

I thought it was meant to be ambiguous.

I think the soundtrack to Shutter Island strips away any possibility of ambiguity. If the closing shot of the lighthouse doesn't spell it out, the soundtrack is sure gonna let you know.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

See, I thought the slasher elements really fell flat precisely because it was such an obvious pedagogical device. I stopped being able to take the characters seriously as characters as soon as it became apparent that they were simply sock puppets for Haneke.

On the other hand I thought that, for example, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) was creepy in a very engaging way for more or less exactly the reasons you list---the relentless violence was deprived of the traditional slasher flick narrative arc as a reference point for the audience to make sense of it all. I also thought that the complete lack of any sort of overt (and intrusive) theatrical trappings really helped the narrative, in exactly the same way I thought they hurt Funny Games. There's this sequence in Henry where Otis has fallen asleep while watching a video he and Henry had made of them murdering a family (the audience first sees the murder from the point of view of the camcorder). I think this makes more or less the same point Haneke so laboriously makes in Funny Games, while at the same time not relying on a bunch of fourth-wall-breaking nonsense to do it.

This reminds me that I need to do a big post on Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer someday.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Go read the Paranormal Activity 2 thread, tough guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KillRoy posted:

Same thing, except it was " Spice World" for me.

I have seen Spice World multiple times.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KillRoy posted:

How does it hold up on repeat viewings? My brain shut off around the time the breakdancing aliens showed up.

I can say in all seriousness that it's not as good as Josie and the Pussycats.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Josie is a legitimately funny movie and I'm surprised more people haven't seen it given the obscure crap that's dredged up here from time to time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kapalama posted:

Inception : summer popcorn or something more?

(IMDB users have it in the top 5 of all time, which stuns me.)

Read the IMDB boards then come back. Nothing will stun you after that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ninja Gamer posted:

And those are just the ones made in a short enough time frame for people to consider them connected. I doubt many think Batman (1966) is a sequel to Batman (1943) or that either one of those is connected to Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Which is idiotic, because they obviously all are.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

I guess this is the place for this:

Does anyone else really hate David Lynch and think his movies are complete pretentious poo poo? I've heard that Twin Peaks is really good and still plan to watch it, but Mullholland Drive pretty much put me off David Lynch forever. I'm not too stupid to "get" him, i just think he sucks. Am I alone? And also, people who are fans of him, can you tell me what you like about him? This post may come off as a little confrontational, but I really just don't get it and need either confirmation or enlightenment.

No, you aren't alone, a lot of fools think this.

That aside, the reason I like Lynch so much is because he's so unpretentious. Elliptical and obtuse, yes. Pretentious? To me, a pretentious director uses surreal or disorienting imagery in an obvious and unimaginative way. I haven't ever thought Lynch was showing off, being pompous or condescending.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ProfessorClumsy posted:

You know, with all this complaining about "shakey-cam", I wonder if I'm the only person on Earth who is actually very fond of that particular style?

Nope, I love it. Applied well, it's exciting and dynamic. Applied poorly, it's just a cover for a director not knowing what the gently caress they're doing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CzarChasm posted:

I think in your specific example, Godfather was never intended to be viewed on broadcast TV, and the censoring was likely an afterthought. Also in 1972 when the movie came out, TV rebroadcasts were not things that were done often or accounted for*. Movies had much longer runs in theaters (on average). If a movie does poorly in theaters it hangs around for 2-3 weeks today where I don't believe it would be unusual for movies in the 70's to hang around in theaters for several months, just so the maximum number of people could view them.

The thing to remember when it comes to the FCC and standards is that your rule is "Lowest Common Denominator". What is the least offensive version/word that I could use in place of it's more offensive cousin? And with that in mind, the reason "stuff" was used is because back then you may not have been able to even use "tail" in that regard on TV. Keep in mind you could only say 'rear end' "if you were riding one on a religious feast day". Look at old TV from just before that time, a married couple had to sleep in separate beds (till the 60's). Bathrooms consisted of sink and shower, but no toilet (70's). You couldn't even say the word "pregnant" on TV for a while (60's). We've come a long way.

I believe that there are generally two versions of any scene with "adult language": Obviously the original version, and the cleaned version. I think some movies are now filmed with TV rebroadcasts in mind and certain scenes that can't be cut are re-filmed with less offensive language as opposed to just dubbed over**.

*Not that it never happened, just that Coppola likely never though to himself "This is gonna be huge when NBC shows this in 5 years. Better clean it up."

**probably not true, but they should do this so you don't get "Monkey Fighting Snakes"

tl;dr: The FCC probably didn't allow any euphemism for "rear end" at the time The Godfather was cleaned for TV, and typically only one "clean" version of any movie is produced to save costs of editing/re-dubbing multiple times.

Interestingly, the Godfather (and Godfather II) is one of those movies that has a special cut for TV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Godfather_Saga

I've never seen it, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kapalama posted:

Gone Baby, Gone was amazing. Any recommendations for similar mood films? (Also 'The Town' was good for completely different reasons. Ben Affleck has found his true calling.)

Before The Devil Knows Your Dead would be right up your alley.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

If you're really interested, the Tarantino script is available (as in you can buy a paperback copy from amazon for a couple bucks).

It's also much, much less interesting than the film we got, for all its flaws.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In the future, if you need to know if a site is down, just use https://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com or half a dozen other similar sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also you might get in a little bit of trouble if you murder someone in cold blood as an elected official.