Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Medium Style posted:

I have no idea where the "cover-up because he's the son of an important person" theory comes from, though. I don't see anything in the movie that hints at this and it's been mentioned on the forums before.

That probably comes from the book, where there is a passage detailing his first murder as a college boy (I think he left his girlfriends decapitated head swinging from a rope over a river), which was covered up by his rich and important father. Though skimming through my copy, I naturally cannot find the passage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
That they're melodramatically over acting. With gusto. It's not necessarily referring to a poor performance, as the character could be a vigorously extravagant one with a highly affected manner, and so have the same lack of subtleties. But it's generally used as a negative. Its origin isn't well established, but it's certainly a theatrical term from at least the 1890's.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

feedmyleg posted:

What if I do want victorian-era? What's the best film in that case? And if I do go with Rathbone, what's the definitive film?

Not films, but the TV series with Jeremy Brett is closest to what you're after.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

SkunkDuster posted:

Am I wrong for liking the directors cut of Aliens? I liked how it showed Ripley's loss of her daughter and taking Newt on as a surrogate.

I'm not going to say that you're wrong, but that's why I really disliked the directors cut. In the cinematic cut, Ripley and the Marines going after and taking care of Newt was the human thing to do, contrasted with the corporate thing to do personified by Burke. Ripley didn't need the motivation of a dead child. It was patronising and cheap.