Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

Dr. Coffee posted:

In A Scanner Darkly, Also, after repeated viewings I still don't understand what happens with the blond D head changing into Bob's girlfriend and back on the recorded tape.

I haven't seen this movie in a few months, but I believe the blonde woman was his ex-wife. You also see this same blonde woman in flashbacks of what his life was like before Substance D.

The scene shortly before the one above had Donna sleeping next to Bob. Bob roles over and sees the blond woman (his ex-wife) where Donna's supposed to be. Donna then reappears. The reason he watches this video over and over again is that this is an exact reproduction of what he thought was just a drug-induced hallucination.

I think it's just a way to show that Bob's hallucinations are getting out of control.

Also, someone asked about the reason why long-rear end credits went to the end, instead of the beginning like in older movies. I'm not sure when it started, but I assume sometime around when the whole New Hollywood movement blew up.

The reason the credits moved to the end was because they were becoming too drat long, and it's faster to get to the movie without a long, drawn-out credit sequence that most people don't give a poo poo about anyway.

Union rules dictate how the credits appear, and in what order. But I think film crews started getting longer during the '80s actually, especially after Speilberg and Lucas became successful. The business became more producer-oriented again, special effects became more special (and expensive), and bigger budgets mean it's easier to hype. Also, bigger budgets are easier to play "magic accountant" with to make smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

muscles like this? posted:

What? I've seen the movie multiple times and have read the book and nowhere do they say that the blonde chick is supposed to be Bob's ex-wife. In fact the end of the movie pretty much states that he never was married in the first place. It was all just a fabrication as part of his "Fred" persona.

They show Bob playing with the blonde woman and children, in his house, in a flashback. During this time, the house and yard are well kept. It's the part of the movie that he also hits his head in the kitchen, puts his hand on the wound, then draws it back and see blood. He talks about how his life wasn't always like this, but his old life had to end and did. So it's strongly insinuated that Arctor remembers being married with children. She's even credited as Arctor's wife. Therefore, the blonde woman he sees is his hallucinating about his wife.

They address the issue in the FAQ on IMDB. It never says definitively in the movie whether his memories of being married were accurate, and if they were, what actually happened to them.

Is Birth of a Nation on DVD?

HalPhilipWalker fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 13, 2008