Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If All is Lost qualifies as mainstream I feel like Moon should as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately my first exposure to Welles was in The Critic so that kinda colored my perception of the guy until I got more serious about checking out his films years later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I remember a handful of folks vouching for Weather Man at the time, but the general public seemed to regard it with a big ol' "eh."

It was the year after the success of National Treasure(people forget how that movie was actually a big hit), and so that along with Cage's previous reputation as an action blockbuster guy I think led people to be disappointed when he followed that up with Lord of War and then The Weatherman.

Cage actually kept his A-list status going for longer than people usually remember. He had a terrible year in 2006 but then Ghost Rider did ok and the National Treasure sequel made close to 500 million(!). Then in 2010 he was mostly praised for his performance in Kick rear end, so really it wasn't until this decade that he ended up forced into taking bad projects due to his financial situation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea 4 Leones might be overkill, and For a Few Dollars More is probably the best one to drop. Some probably would say it's better than Fistful but I disagree AND it's somewhat similar to the superior The Good the Bad and The Ugly so it might feel a bit redundant when you watch them all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Eh, I like Few Dollars More much more than Fistful.

Also, add High Noon to that list bruh.

In fact, take Rio Bravo off the list and replace it with High Noon.

Personally I really enjoy Fistful's more streamlined story. Obviously a lot of that is due to Leone making an adaptation of a story that had already been successful, but most of his other stuff has a tendency to be more meandering.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

Any cowboy movies similar to the end of red dead 2 where it's a cowboy on his last legs?

I think thematically there's a lot of The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford in Red Dead 1 & 2. A world that's moved on but the main characters refuse to give up their way of life, so they're living on borrowed time and they know it. And in some ways they almost are wondering why death is taking so long and are getting impatient.

It's gotta be Brad Pitt's best performance. It's a multi-layered character that you can't ever really pin down, and he's scary as hell too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love Westerns and I bounced pretty hard off of Deadman for whatever reason. I think it, and Jarmusch's work in general, just goes too far out of it's way to be quirky and subvert expectations that it feels forced.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For someone who grew up with Arnold as the biggest movie star in the world and T2 as the biggest and best action movie that'd ever come along up to that point, I think Terminator 3 is worthy of being considered part of the "original run" of the series when it still felt like a big deal and Arnold was still Arnold. Only with Salvation, when Arnold was semi-retired and the series started going off in different directions did I feel like the magic had been lost.

So I'd say watch Terminator 3, it feels like a pretty fitting end to what I think of as a mostly coherent trilogy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

There's also a bit with Arnold hammering the poo poo out of a truck hood, just pounding his fists into it over and over again, and he has the doofiest loving stare as it's happening.

YOU ARE ABOUT TO FAIL THAT MISSION

T3 had a pretty strong trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZQJYs7z-vs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Return of Xander Cage kicked rear end too. Very pleasantly surprised by that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

it wasnt bad for a laundry-folding movie. hopefully tony jaa becomes the next xXx. this is a sentence i am saying in 2020

I've lost faith on Jaa. He hasn't done anything good for a really long time. Not that Triple Threat being mediocre can be blamed on him, but.....it was extremely disappointing.