Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I rewatched the '46 cut of The Big Sleep the other day, and while the dialogue between Bacall and Bogart (and to a lesser extent Martha Vickers as the younger sister) remains as electric and sharp as ever, I can't help but feel that the movie is seriously gimped by the Hays Code interference. I guess it's just an unavoidable part of American cinema in the 40s, but coming from the book I just can't help but think what this movie could have been if it was shot a decade or so later, with the actors magically transplanted. Anyone else feel the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Does anything really beat "Yipee Ki-Yay, Melon Farmer"?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Some of it has to do with how much the average home theater has caught up with the actual movie theater experience. There's definitely something about being part of a captive audience, but I'm not sure how much that plays into the decision making of a typical household. Just over a decade ago, most people were still watching movies at home on a 20" CRT. Today, it's increasingly difficult to find even a budget TV smaller than 40" in stock. For an average consumer, it definitely seems like there are fewer and fewer reasons to watch a movie that's not pure audio-visual spectacle on the silver screen.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This is exactly backwards. Spectacle movies look and sound just as good at home with $1500 worth of equipment as they do in the theater, plus you can text your friends and get up and make a snack and grab a beer whenever you want. The theater experience, on the other hand, is an opportunity to focus your attention completely on a film with (ideally) no quotidian distractions. Films that reward that attention are what you should be seeing, especially if they're what you'd prefer to be watching anyway.

Like I said, I'm not sure how many people that constitute that average moviegoing populace agree with you on that.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The average moviegoer is wrong about a lot of things anyway.

Yes, but their dollars do make the bulk of revenue for Hollywood and the various distributors — hence why I pointed out the inertia going the other way.