Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retinend
May 17, 2008

They're inviting us to defeat them, we must oblige them!
In David Lynch's The Straight Story, near the end of the film, Alvin Straight's lawnmower's engine finally shudders to a halt with some nasty looking black smoke. He then sits there for a few minutes, with dissolves which imply he's been waiting a long time. Finally, a passing tractor stops and they talk (inaudibly). Then, with seemingly no explanation, he starts up the lawnmower again and drives to his brothers house! At first I figured that the tractor must have bee towing him, but if he was it must have been with an invisible tether.

If his lawnmower didn't break down (with the black smoke), then why did he wait for so long and look so heartbroken? and if his lawnmower did break down, then how did he just start driving again?

Retinend fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retinend
May 17, 2008

They're inviting us to defeat them, we must oblige them!

Ape Agitator posted:

I'm working off memory but I don't recall the exchange being wordless. I recall the guy on the passing tractor telling him that sometimes they need to sit for a while and so he gives it a try and it turns over.

Edit: Here's the exchange

How you doin'...?
Not too good. This thing's just tired.
Is there anything I can do to help you?
Well, I don't know. It just quit on me.
Why don't you try her again?

That was quick. Thanks. That exchange is pretty important then, it's odd that he decided to make it inaudible without subtitles - the camera is about 20ft away from them and you hear their conversation as if you were.