Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Encryptic posted:

And here I have no idea why I'm reading so deeply into loving Boondock Saints of all movies.

Yeah, I think the answer here is "because the director/writer thought it would look cool."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rake Arms posted:

In There Will be Blood was Daniel using his pipeline to siphon oil directly from the Bandy tract? Or were the surrounding derricks draining the oil out from underneath it? If the latter is true, did he plan to do that from the start, explaining why he dismissed the Bandy tract near the beginning of the film?

Not directly. Imagine that there's a large pool of oil that was underground, under both pieces of land. The derricks that he placed on his own land were tapping the entire oil patch, as I understand it.

If only there was some easier way of explaining this...possibly involving some sort of frozen beverage.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rake Arms posted:

Right, but I wasn't sure if the "straw" was part of the derrick or part of the pipeline. I get it now.

Wasn't my intention to be demeaning, sorry if it came off that way.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I saw the "milkshake" analogy more as a general "hah, I was pretty much stealing his oil, gently caress you" than as a detailed logistical explanation for how it happened. But, yeah, it wasn't entirely clear.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

We're exploiting them in their own way. Let's face it, exploitation films are about stereotypes and base emotions.

So, I've got some questions about the terminology you're using here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that blaxploitation and other films were intended to target their specific "blank-sploitation" audiences. Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song is considered by some to be the founder of the "blaxsploitation" genre, and its pretty explicit in its appeal to a black community, not to whites looking to characterize the community in one way or another.

Wikiepdia favors the following definition:

quote:

Films made with little or no attention to quality or artistic merit but with an eye to a quick profit, usually via high-pressure sales and promotion techniques emphasizing some sensational aspect of the product.

In this case, the exploitation of blacks comes from a cheap movie that targets their interests.

In the case of Arabs, I think you're missing the bigger picture here. I think in many cases, terrorists are filling the place of the Nazis of older films; generically "evil" characters that can be dispatched without much sympathy from the audience. Arabs in these films aren't uniformly evil in the same way that those who are ethnically German aren't uniformly evil. They just fulfill a filmic shorthand.

Do you read, say, Indiana Jones as a film that demonizes a race? I'd argue not, but you could make that point.

I'm not saying that these portrayals are completely fair. I know that they're not, nor can they totally be. Ascribing a bigger picture to a lot of these movies that we're talking about is probably a foolish pursuit.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

blindhaberdasher posted:

So a while back there was this thread about pictures of great directors, and there was this one really cool picture of a director holding up a filmstrip and looking at it with sunglasses on and a cigarette in his mouth. I forget who it was (I keep thinking it was Fellini but I'm not sure) and if anyone remembers this picture and can tell me who it was or better yet post the picture here, that would be cool.

I do this too — I keep thinking Fellini looked a lot cooler than he actually did. This is one of the nice parts about being able to cast a surrogate in your place. For comparison, here's a photo of Marcello Mastroianni looking totally badass in 8 1/2:

And here's a photo of Fellini:

I wish I could cast someone to play me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

That's hardly true. Blaxploitation plays on stereotypes and base emotions just like any other exploitation genre. The difference being that they cast themselves as heroes, but it is still fueled in the same way as all of the other exploitation genres. They still are drug fueled, violent, jive talking toughs who hate whitey (who is universally evil).

Like I mentioned, I'm more than happy to get corrected on this. What falls under the exploitaiton genre has always been a little obscure to me.

That said, is Melvin Van Peebles exploiting his race because his film fulfills all of the above criteria? Or does the fact that his film was hailed by Huey P. Newton and embraced by a militant black community change that?

It's been a while since I've seen Sweetback, but I recall the main character being extremely sexualized, growing up in a whorehouse. There's even a pretty affecting scene in How to Get the Man's Foot Outta Your rear end that portrays the importance of this scene to Melvin, pushing his son and even cutting his hair off to get the shot. If a white man had written that scene, it'd probably be pretty offensive. I don't mean to get into a "shades of racism" discussion here, but your argument practically demands it.

quote:

There seems to be a feeling like if it's lazy or easy it isn't really racist, but it's one of the easiest ways that racism propogates. Nazis were very common as bad guys not only because it's easy to hate them, but because nobody will ever complain about it. Germans won't say "stop picking on us" because they've been cowed as a nation because of their actions in the war.

Think about The Last Crusade, where Elsa (who is in my book tied for best female counterpart to Indy) is the only German character to not be an evil nazi...whoops, she's evil. But it's Nazis and Germans won't complain.

Trying to say "it's innocent" or "they didn't mean it" or whatever doesn't mean it isn't racist. The fact that it's automatic for them to go "need a Terrorist = Arab" isn't because they're trying to be mean or are all hick redneck racists (see what I did there), it's because the racism is so ingrained that it's automatic. Just like black guy=clutch purse or German = Nazi.

First off, Marion Ravenwood is far and away the best female counterpart to Indy. Also, saying that she's tied for first (out of three) is basically just saying "Hey, Willie sucked." Which I think we can all agree on.

Second, I think if writers, directors and studios portray Arabs as terrorists they're likely doing so in a misguided attempt to provide commentary on our times. It's definitely not fair to portray all terrorists as Arabs, but fear of extremists based in the Middle East is certainly a hot topic that could be explored in fiction. It's often not subtle, but 90% of everything is poo poo.

Also, I think that if anything, the portrayal of Arabs in Hollywood films has gotten better since Sept. 11. I've been wracking my brain trying to think of films that explicitly portray terrorists; even the films mentioned before this post in the thread have all been pre-Sept. 11 (with the exception of Syriana, which, although you've argued that it's a racist movie, it's at least seemingly well-intentioned).

quote:

Should Indy movies be chided for their non-progressive stances? No, they're a throwback to a time where storytelling was loaded with it. Just like Jonny Quest and the newest King Kong are wonderfully racist because it's such a perfect reflection of classic high adventure where natives are evil savages deserving of being smited by white fists. Just like Quentin Tarantino movies aren't (in my opinion) deserving of chiding for their exploitation attributes because that's a conscious goal and he's naked about it.

This just seems like cherrypicking. I mean, how are some things "wonderfully racist" and not worthy of chiding, but you off-handedly dismiss films that include a "good Arab" as a weak prop of semi-racist screenwriters? How is it that films that are "perfect reflections" of a racist past, without any revisionist commentary, are somehow morally superior to films that at least try to make a concession to a balanced perspective? Well, maybe not morally superior, but as you say, worthy of chiding vs. not worthy of chiding?

This is the part of the post where I say that I'm not a conservative blowhard, have Arab friends, etc. I'd hate to think I'm coming off as insensitive or assholish, I just disagree with what you're saying.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 11, 2008

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

I think The Abyss is one of those movies that has somewhere close to near unanimous support for the DC version.

Are there any films that are ruined or diminished by a director's cut? Might be good to know in the future to know which ones to avoid.

Personally, I didn't care for Apocalypse Now: Redux, except as a curiosity. And while I enjoy the director's cut of Aliens, if I was showing it to a person for the first time, I'd probably show them the theatrical. The DC tends to drag a bit.

Also, the only version I've ever seen of Almost Famous was the Untitled version, which a few people swore to me was the only way to see it. I hated that flick, but don't think my problems with it have much to do with the length. Could be wrong, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

There are lots of "unrated" cuts, especially for comedies, that I don't like. Especially when they mess with the pacing.

The Apatow movies suffer from this. The 40-Year-Old Virgin gets a little long on DVD.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Encryptic posted:

There also seems to be a Biblical meaning to it - though I'm not familiar enough with the Bible to be sure.

I'm in the middle of watching Unforgiven and I was thinking - what are some other "must-see" Westerns out there? I've seen a number of the well-known ones and enjoyed them (Tombstone, Dances With Wolves, Leone's Man With No Name trilogy, The Magnificent Seven, etc.) but I know there's others out there that are well-regarded.

The Wild Bunch is pretty great and fits right in with the type of movie you've been talking about (later period, revisionist westerns). Some more traditional westerns that might be worth checking out are The Searchers, High Noon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and (depending on your categorization) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Your mileage will probably vary on the last four, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Diligent Deadite posted:

Yes, The Lady and The Lake is in first person

Thanks for reminding me about this, I remember reading about this in a film textbook 10 years ago and I've always meant to check it out. It have any value beyond the novelty factor?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

There has always been the murder of teenage girls that has always impacted me more than any other kind of murder in film, tv or real life.

You must love '80s horror movies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got done watching My Favorite Wife on TCM, and they played this hilariously misogynistic by today's standards MGM serial about different wives and how they annoy their husbands. Does anyone know the title of this?

Their site is actually ridiculously informative. This might be it.

That's one of the reasons I really miss the channel - they go out of their way to really produce a full package.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Got it, thanks. I feel like I need to watch it again to really appreciate it because it totally wasn't what I expected and I think that distracted me.

Just curious - what were you expecting?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ZenMaster posted:

Can someone explain box office mojo to me? Specifically, how to figure out how much a movie made/lost?

For example, let's take a look at the admittedly awful Jonah Hex.

I see this:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $10,414,102
Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $5,379,365
(#7 rank, 2,825 theaters, $1,904 average)
% of Total Gross: 51.7%
> View All 6 Weekends
Widest Release: 2,825 theaters
In Release: 40 days / 5.7 weeks

The budget (it claims) was 47 million. It does not show a foreign box office total (why?)

It does not show the price to market the film either, is this info there or somewhere?

As it stands, I assume the film lost 37 million dollars for the company, is that correct? What am I doing wrong?

The thing is, TONS of movies I look at on BOM seem to have lost a ton of money, so I assume I am reading it incorrectly.

I'm not an expert, but they'll also recoup some their budget on home video and television sales. If Box Office Mojo doesn't list foreign figures, it's probably because it either hasn't been released yet or isn't going to be.

I don't know of any site that compiles advertising costs. I don't think that information is given out that often.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

So were the bug things in District 9 aliens or what?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

I like it because of that. Does the fact that the Prawns aren't very smart(and really, they're 'workers' which doesn't mean they're completely devoid of any thought -- they did alright talking to Wikkus) ean they deserve to be treated the way they are? I don't think because a race may not be capable of bettering themselves is cause to opress them.

Edit: I mean, it would have been easy to make them angelic, glowy-light aliens being mistreated, but they didn't. They made them disgusting, hard-to-understand and kind of dumb, which is more interesting.

Given how far the film goes to draw comparisons to real-life oppressed minorities, you don't find this problematic?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Maybe not mainstream known, but I don't know anyone who considered him a lovely actor. Hell, even in To Die For he got some recognition.

What roles of his would he be considered a lovely actor, or even a punchline, from? Lonesome Jim?

I remember hearing people laughing about him just being Ben Affleck's brother in the Ocean's movies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

These guys are great, but the rear end in a top hat from the EPA in Ghostbusters is probably my favorite because the idea of the EPA as a villainous entity is so ridiculously 80s.

I thought about him, but he's more of an 80s pompous rear end than a tribute to 80s excess.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ularg posted:

I didn't like the book much, but I'm just now going through the movie that I haven't watched in a year. I'm around the part where Neville meets other people.

From your description (and spoiler) the book actually seems very interesting. I watched the animated comics that is on the DVD. One of them is about a family in India that takes shelter in a vault during the riots and when the infection starts to spread.After the initial introduction, one of the characters, the daughter of the family, sneaks out to find her lover. It is assumed that her lover is infected, and despite the warnings from her father, she goes to meet him, telling her lover that they will meet again soon. Obviously it didn't work out, she was locked outside of her vault by her family.

Long Story short: She becomes infected, family lets her in and you see from the infected point of view humans as shaded monsters, screaming at the infected.

Other than that, I really couldn't see the resemblance of the movie from what you described of the book.

So wait, did you read the book or not? It sounds like you didn't, but you said that "I didn't like the book much."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I liked the ending conceptually, but the execution "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was a little lacking.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

kapalama posted:

Thank you for saving a couple of hours of my life. That trailer made it seem like what you said.

New question: have any of Dick Francis's books ever made it to screen?

Looks like Dead Cert and a couple of TV movies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

kapalama posted:

As funny as yelling the N-word in a comedy club is, you don't get to do it anymore.

Someone should tell this to Louis CK, David Cross, Zack Galifianakis, etc. etc.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Also, why the hell did people think this movie was too talky? There's tons of action, and there's probably about as much talking as Iron Man 1.

My problem wasn't really with the amount of talking, just that Iron Man 2 was crammed with pointless bullshit talking and the first one at least made a passing attempt at character development.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

SubG posted:

I saw Concorde...Airport '79 (1979) in the theatre. I saw The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984) in the theatre. I saw License to Drive (1988) in the theatre. I saw Crocodile Dundee II (1988) in the theatre.

At this point I'm pretty much immune to walking out of anything ever, because gently caress if I'm going to bail on something if I sat through all of those pieces of poo poo. Note: I reserve the right to change this opinion without notice if I ever find myself watching Gamer (2009) or Blade: Trinity (2004) in a theatre.

I got this scar watching Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

NeuroticErotica posted:

4:3 is really hard to compose for. As much as a disciple of The Wire as I am, it really did nothing for me cinemtographically with the possible exception of shooting in the vacants.

The drab aesthetic is part of what makes the show so effective, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Umbriago posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for asking about recommendations.

What films would you recommend to someone who really enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine and wanted to watch other off-beat but uplifting films? Cheers!

Check out Wes Anderson's movies (if you haven't already) and what seems to be the grandaddy of that tone, Harold and Maude.

Edit: Also, there's a recommendation thread here.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 12, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Zogo posted:

It adds a few inconsequential scenes. Nothing really monumental. I've seen most of it on TV and the "Badder Santa" version.

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4618

Wow, whoever maintains that site is seriously dedicated and probably crazy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mr Arkadin is a famous example of this as well. Slightly outdated info via IMDB:

quote:

There are five versions of the film, Mr. Arkadin.

-There is the public domain version, the one most common in America. After the opening credits, it begins with Van Stratten's narration on the docks. It is told in linear time.

-There is the European version, called Confidential Report. It has footage of paper mache bats in the credits, and has some footage not seen in the public domain version. It is told in flashbacks.

-There is the version currently in possession of Corinth Films. According to Welles friend Peter Bogdanovich, this version and its first four scenes correspond directly to Orson Welles' intentions. It is told in flashbacks.

-There is a Spanish language version that corresponds directly to the Corinth version. However, the roles played by Katina Paxinou and Suzanne Flon are now played by Spanish actresses.

-As of 2005, there is a version being prepared by the Munich Filmmuseum that not only contains footage found in different versions of the film, but also corresponds as closely as possible to the complete intentions of Orson Welles.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

SubG posted:

...particularly since there is no `Southern accent'; there are at least a dozen, and that's if you're being conservative. The aristocratic Suthron gentleman drawl of the Virginia Piedmont accent would be completely out of place in the mouth of a cajun in south Louisiana (or southeast Texas), for example.

Worse (to my ears) than a generic thick-as-molasses Southern accent which doesn't sound like any actual Southern accent, is when a bunch of guys that are supposed to be from some dusty Texas border town sound like they're from the Appalachians, somewhere around Tennessee.

I grew up in South Carolina, and live in Chicago. It's hard to believe how many people are surprised when I tell them where I'm from, just because I don't speak like I have a developmental disabilty.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

kapalama posted:

But you do drop something of it when you leave, and pick it back up when you go home right?

Everyone I know does this except Californians who are convinced they don't have an accent.

I have a really slight accent, but it only comes out in certain words (like, weirdly, Cheetos). The only thing I change up when I go home is mixing in a little more slang.

Between growing up in a city, having a dad born in Germany, and having access to television, I just never developed a country twang.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Disturbingly, a lot of people in Eastern Washington have Southern-ish accents. As do a lot of poor people in the suburbs for no discernible reason. I can only assume it's either an affectation, or they're children/grandchildren of emigrants from the South.

What's disturbing about this? It's an accent.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Glass Joe posted:

Basil Rathbone is the classic movie Holmes in the eyes of many.

Fair warning, though - the Rathbone movies update them to a then-current setting. You're not getting OG Holmes, but it's close.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rocket Ace posted:

1. When Marty first arrives in the future, and he's wandering around town , some old guy comes up to him asking him to donate to save the clock tower. They briefly talk about baseball, and then the guy states that he wishes that he could go back to the beginning of the season and bet on the Cubs. This statement gives Marty the idea to go buy the Sports Almanac.

The thing is that this actor is OBVIOUSLY made up to look like he's much older. You can hear it in his voice. My question is: since this series is ALL ABOUT the younger and older versions of so many characters, was this guy someone important or one that we've met at another time in the series?

Either that or he's just a friend of the film makers who wanted to have a cameo so they coated him in makeup so as to be unrecognizable...

A little googling reveals the answer. Does everything have a wiki these days?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1. INT. BREAKFAST ROOM - DAY

CHARLIE pours himself a nice big bowl of Grape Nuts and sips his black coffee while reading the business section of the New York Times...

"Should I buy an iPad?" Charlie wonders. "No, I probably can't afford one right now."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

4. CHARLIE'S COMPUTER SCREEN

Charlie types "vapid oval office" on his keyboard, and clicks the "Submit Reply" button. PAN up to Charlie's face, he looks pleased with himself.

5. INT. CHARLIE'S OFFICE - A SMALL CUBICLE - DAY

Fred is revealed to be standing behind Charlie's chair.

FRED: "Are there stairs in your house?"

There's nothing adult about what we do here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd like another crack at my draft, anyway. I realize now that a Kindle would be a lot more thematically potent than an iPad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

There's a link to the list in the video description. It's Vampire's Kiss.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Edit: wow, not even close to the right thread

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

codyclarke posted:

What are some first films by well-known filmmakers that are admittedly bad or even disowned? For instance Tarantino's My Best Friend's Birthday, James Cameron's Piranha II, and Woody Allen's What's Up Tiger Lily?.

David Fincher was upset with studio interference on Alien 3. Stanley Kubrick also wrote off Fear and Desire, his first narrative feature.