Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

muscles like this? posted:

How was Freddy vs Jason a prequel? Other than the fact that it had to take place before Jason X.

I do have my own question though, what's the dealeo with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon not really writing any movies other than Good Will Hunting? I mean, you win an Oscar for best screenplay and then proceed to write nothing for the next six years for Damon and ten years for Affleck.

I'm sure it has something to do with the enormous paychecks they are offered as actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the development process different for most modern films now as opposed to 70's era and before? I would imagine that would be responsible for a lot of the changes in the look of the film.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Really, that strikes means just a little bit of ego. He should be wearing whatever makeup the director tells him to wear. But he's a solid enough actor that it's forgivable.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

So in Aliens, when the Marines are told to hand over their ammo, the smart gun carries put something into to guns. What the heck was it? It looks more like a battery than ammo.

If you look closely, you can see the actual ammo drums on their guns. I always took it as a fuse needed for their guns to fire, which is odd that they're told 'clear and lock'. I guess it's sort of along the same lines as the fact that their supposedly caseless guns are ejecting .45ACP brass the whole film.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

To actually answer the question you asked...No, the battles in Terminator: Salvation do not resemble the battle scenes from T1 or T2. There are no lasers, no giant robot tanks driving over fields littered with human skulls. There are no T-800 endoskeletons duel-wielding plasma riffles and there are no plucky humans ambushing them and killing them. There is no darkness only lit by the flashes of explosions and laser fire. There are no jeeps with plasma guns welded on by human ingenuity.

Nothing that made any of those scenes awesome is in Salvation. Never see it. It is one of the most terrible movies I've ever seen and will mentally scar anyone that actually loved the first two movies.

To be fair there is a plucky human ambushing robots but unfortunately the robots are dumbass retarded fuckbots and not the cool chrome skeletons of your childhood. And the kid is a dumb rear end too.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Five Cent Deposit, were you drunk enough that you didn't notice Arnold Swarzenegger was the protagonist? That probably would have helped you find out a lot easier than the electric clown (his name was Dynamo, incidentally, and he's the best overweight opera-singing electricity-themed villain ever). God, I love that movie.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Five Cent Deposit posted:

You need to improve your reading comprehension, pal. The drunkard was Co-sine, not me.

Yup, I'm a dumbass who no read good. I blame it on using a iPhone instead of my PC and getting tired of scrolling by having to flick my finger like I'm in a back seat on prom night.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Odd thought, but would equal time be applied to things written by candidates? That could have messed up SNL reruns during Franken's run.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I always thought Christopher was supposed to be Jesus.

He strives to lead his people from oppression after receiving enlightenment from his origin, a higher power (the command module). Along the way he converts followers, in this case literally. And is triumphant when he flies up into the sky above his oppressors with a promise to return triumphantly. All that and the rather obvious name.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

The Shining and Aliens. The latter's only exception was the first scene, which was the last to be filmed.

The scene with the robot arm cutting torch/scanner deal? If I remember correctly, Cameron said he put up some of his own money for that scene in one of the DVD commentary tracks.

It was quite a bit to spend on one quick ten second gag that doesn't really add a whole lot to the film, but looking back it is a great way to kick the film off - here's a high-tech, expensive looking gizmo that does absolutely mundane work and is entirely unremarkable to the point of never being discussed in dialogue.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I don't think the satire was aimed specifically at Reagan, as much as it lampooned the excesses of American culture that took off in the 70's and 80's and the yuppie lifestyle in particular. Things like the 6000SUX (a car that's advertised solely on it's huge size and gets "really lovely gas mileage"), corporate executives jockeying for position while a colleague's corpse is still steaming in the background, privatization of every industry into a profitable venture to include fundamentally respected instituions like the police, etc.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Any time a discussion starts with the Star Wars stuff it turns from gayer to gayest.

To contribute: What is the deal with prop firearms? Whenever I watch guys in a movie point semiautomatic weapons at each other and fire I wonder this. If there's no round to maintain a seal in the barrel, usually you will need a BFA or end up with the world's most awkward bolt action.

I've heard of prop guns that use propane for a muzzle flash; is it as simple as "plugged barrel, blank rounds in the magazine, pyro setup hidden in the muzzle"?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Iron Man 2 will always be dead to me simply because it wastes Mickey Rourke. I don't want to see him typing on a laptop for half of the movie, I want him whipping more cars in half.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

sursumdeorsum posted:

Not to derail the thread but I wish IMAX would cease whoring out their name to every theater whom adds 2 inches to their screen.

I know very few people who have actually been to a real IMAX theater, yet hundreds who believe they have seen a film in IMAX proper. This is maddening, IMAX has seriously ruined their brand name with these psuedo-IMAX theaters. Great way to gently caress people out of their money though, all while the consumer remains none the wiser.

This false advertising could be a good thing however, Avatar in true IMAX made me viciously ill, while the 'baby IMAX' viewing gave me no problems.

A really good IMAX theater can really mess with you. When I was about ten, I went to the IMAX theater in the Baltimore Science Center to see some documentary about the Pacific Ring of Fire. I had never seen a screen that size, and was close enough that the screen took up all of my peripheral vision on both sides.

The opening shot cut from black to a straight-down helicopter shot of Los Angeles from about a thousand feet up. It gave me an actual physical reaction of vertigo and nausea, made me jump back in my seat and grip the armrests will all my strength to avoid 'falling' forward.

The best part? I googled the BSC to see if the IMAX theater is still there. Guess what film is playing today?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

And Ed Norton had replaced Eric Bana (and Liv Tyler replaced Jennifer Connelly) between the Ang Lee Hulk and the most recent one.

Not sure if that one really counts. I'd say it's more like the Batman films since it was technically a retelling of the same story.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

dolphins are gay posted:

there's talk of BHD in the Prometheus thread, I saw someone say 'anti-war' film. I thought - Is there any Pro-War film (outside of WW2 Propaganda)?

You didn't watch many movies in the '80s?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I took it as the criminals arrested were in pre-trial confinement, not in prison. If Dent went down, the next guy to take his place wouldn't have the balls to prosecute the mob and they would all walk.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Barometer posted:

Yeah, this was the impression I took from it as well. He realizes that he will never be able to get it on again and flips out.

Edit; Here's all of RoboCain's scenes in 6 minutes;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAW2ZAfrWo

So it's a throwback to the scene in the first film where Murphy returns to his former home to find everything rotten or gone. Only instead of breaking a TV, Cain breaks a woman's skull.

Robocop 2 will always be a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure the movie is pretty much a mixed bag of subplots, but it does have some great moments. Robocop 3 was a pile of poo poo.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

penismightier posted:

Sex scenes really have to be judged on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes the relationship can be expressed without one - but, like, look at Terminator 1. Reese has such an aching, desperate love for Sarah's tits that we need to see Sarah's tits.

You forgot an important part. Two of them, actually.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

henpod posted:

In 'House on Haunted Hill', Geoffrey Rush is showing off his new roller coaster. Once the reporters are on it, in front of them they see the track break and the carriage in front of them fall off. What the hell happened here, was that a hologram designed to scare people or what? Then right after that a carriage rolls in with some crash test dummies who are looking terrified. I was really confused by this part.

No, it's a ridiculously unsafe roller coaster designed to derail cars full of dummies to scare the cars behind it. How they recover the cars that plunge into the lake is beyond me.

However, the elevator ride to the top was a boss idea.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also the terminator is probably the least subtle assassin imaginable and "gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat" is about as infiltrate-y as he gets.

To be fair, they show how they 'infiltrate' in Reese's dream\flashback in the first movie. It only gets as far as finding out where the human hideout is and getting its foot in the front door before it whips out the giant laser gun and starts loving poo poo up. It's not really trying to lay low and infiltrate, just catch everyone with their pants down.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I don't remember the hero ever being injured in Equilibrium.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

He looks pretty messed up after the Batwing crashes. I think there was some blood.

What about James Bond? What's the worst thing that ever happened to him?

Dick and ball torture.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Bad Wolf posted:

It's been a while since I've seen them, but I don't offhand recall Ripley or Sarah Connor getting injured in their first movies. Though to be fair, Sarah Connor wasn't the hero there. In the sequels, Ripley is unclear if you consider the whole dying thing.

Linda Hamilton gets a huge chunk of shrapnel in the leg at the end of the first Terminator movie.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

NeuroticErotica posted:

Again - it makes sports look really great and sports sell more TVs than movies ever could dream about.

What about sports movies, then, smart guy? :colbert:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

David Cronenberg's The Fly was a critical success; I'm not sure if it was commercially more successful than the original.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

In Goodfellas, there is a sequence where Henry goes over to his girlfriend's apartment at night. The camera is fixed on his car outside of the apartment, and the scene transitions to morning. The transition is seamless as the scene sort of fades from night to day . It seems like it must be a simple technique, but how is that done?

It seems like it wouldn't be too terrible - camera on a tripod, car parked in front of the house. Film once sequence early in the morning, leave everything as is for a few hours and film again as soon as the sun comes up enough. The biggest pain in the rear end would probably be resetting the lighting.

Edit: Although I'm probably horrendously wrong about this and it's either a huge pain in the rear end or Scorcese pulled some nifty trick.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I believe the correct term is mahfahggin'.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone know what would make a fantastic gag gift? I need something that once you see the cover art you think What the Hell is this?

Go to your local Wal-Mart and look in the $5 DVD bin. I did the same thing one year and got a friend a copy of the critically acclaimed R. Kelly documentary, Trapped In The Closet Part 3.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

Do the books or EU or anything explain what Ripley's and Kane's jobs were in Alien?

Ripley had her pilots license revoked in Aliens, so does that imply she was the co-pilot and third in command behind Kane? I haven't watched Alien in a while, so I might have forgotten something, but why was Kane, the second in command, out poking around the eggs instead of Ash, who was the science officer?

A little late on this one, but it shows Ash staying behind in that big computer terminal room with all of their audio and video feeds. I always assumed he typically monitored from the comfort of the ship, where had had access to space wikipedia if he needed to look something up or consult with Mother about something they found. The interference from the crashed alien ship just screwed up the normal routine.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Didn't a shitload of people have horrible health problems and eventually die after filming Tarkovsky's Stalker? Wikipedia has a quote from the sound designer stating that they were downstream from a half-broken Soviet power plant that was dumping waste into the river.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

I saw it in the backseat of a car on a laptop during a road trip so I may have missed some poo poo. But why does the evil dude repent at the end and kill all his ex-gang buddies? Despite that, I did enjoy the 1st and 2nd Acts.

I took it as he was losing control of them. The other gang members questioned going back to rescue him, and it was only Charlie that was keeping them in check. He had violated his own rule - one that he shot a man in the throat for at the beginning of the film. Sticking with that bunch would have been dangerous. Not to mention the issue of William, who he had taken a liking to and probably didn't want to see gunned down next.

What I liked more than the film were the crazy fan-theories that sprung up based on small hints in the film. Things like Dan's wife being the green-eyed girl that Ben fell in love with and that William may be Ben's own son or that Charlie was actually gay and in love with Ben, explaining his loyalty and the lengths he goes to protect him.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

How exactly does one define themselves as an 'avid non-smoker'? Would that mean I could beging calling myself an avid non-baby immolator?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

That's also directly in line with the book, where a big portion of the narrative follows their training and brainwashing from naive high school aged kids into naive marines. They leave boot camp feeling like ten foot tall killers 'ready to eat their own guts and ask for seconds', only to arrive in Viet Nam and realize that the line they've been fed was utter bullshit. They're then picked off and killed one by one by a faceless killer who turns out to be a girl even younger than they are, who is also a victim of propaganda.

One thing that doesn't get pointed out often is that the marines make a huge show out of being hardcore killers, even if they aren't yet, as a coping mechanism. The entire argument over who had been in The poo poo could be easily compared to high school kids in the locker room bragging about who had gotten to third base with a girl.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

All this Full Metal Jacket talk reminds me that both The Short-Timers and its sequel, The Phantom Blooper are available for free online through Gustav Hasford's memorial webpage. They're both pretty good, quick reads, even if the formatting is a little off and there are a few typos.

The first half of The Short-Timers is fairly close to the film adaptation, but definitely takes a turn for the weird as Joker begins to lose his grip on reality. Also, the climax of the book is definitely a big change from the film's. By the midpoint of The Phantom Blooper everything is just :stare:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

From the Dorkside posted:

Honestly that's what I figured, maybe a dude in pj's and a bathrobe mixing together various kinds of tea/agonizing over the time it's brewing, how much creamer, sugar, etc. then have it play gregorian chanting when he gets the perfect cup, with lights shining forth and what have you. The pay-off being of course when he heads off to drink it and a robber breaks in and shoots him. He falls dead in the kitchen, the camera lingering in a final shot of his bloody hand laying inches from the shattered teacup. In the background, you hear the sounds of the burgler rummaging through cabinets and stealing his teamaking supplies.

Now it's a black comedy. :black101:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

caiman posted:

I've always assumed this is the one that started it all.

Very good movie, by the way. I like everything about it except that cheesy "curtain call" moment at the end.

Was that ending pushed by the studio? It felt so incongruous with the tone of the film.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Does anyone know if they're actually planning on releasing John Dies at the End? I heard something about it playing at a film festival earlier in the year but other than that nothing.

It just got picked up this week by Magnet releasing. They're saying VOD this December, with a limited theatrical run in early 2013. No word yet on DVD release.

Edit: According to the JDaTE Facebook and an article I saw on IMDB a few days ago.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I never took it as Pacino being a literal coke addict in Heat, rather that the job itself was like a drug to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

It's an ultimatum. His race realizes humanity is on the verge of space travel and is chock full of nuclear weapons and paranoia. Rather than have humans zooming through the stars nuking other races because they're ooky, he tells them they need to shape up or they'll just deal with the problem before it occurs. The implication is that every starfaring race hits this point in their evolution and must make a similar decision or get wiped out.

Edit: Reading the Wikipedia summary it notes that he specifically mentions they'll destroy humanity if they bring violence into space, implying his race doesn't give a rat's rear end if humanity nukes the Earth to oblivion as long as it's not in their backyard. I'll have to rewatch the movie to see if that's actually the case.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 7, 2013