Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I watched Panic Room for the first time last night. One detail that is bothering me is when the cops first arrive and ask Jodie Foster to give them a signal of some sort if she needs help, she appears to do nothing, so why do they return with a full SWAT team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Most of the comments I've read searching for this answer say something along those lines, but it doesn't feel very much like Fincher to just use a "hunch" to drive that home.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well this guarantees I won't be getting much done at work for the next few days. I loooove every frame a painting.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Purple Monkey posted:

Is Punch Drunk Love meant to be a parody of other Adam Sandler films?

I think it's just Paul Thomas Anderson being Paul Thomas Anderson

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

xcore posted:

Is there an aggregator for film essays? Something that compiles film essays from the likes of The Dissolve and AV Club.

I keep tabs on the 35mm on vimeo. You get a decent amount of stuff there, but only things that would be on vimeo. Aside from that, I just follow every frame a painting, nerd writer, now you see it, and no small parts on YouTube.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I thought his painting was a gallery wrap?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The marketing coverage for Ghostbusters reminded me of Force Awakens. It was everywhere and for a long time.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like to see Star Wars movies in IMAX. My local theater only offered an IMAX 3D showing of Rogue One so I was basically forced into that. I don't remember anything from it that was 3D.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't know much about the movie, barely knew it was even coming out. That said, I saw the trailer before Colossal the other night and it was probably one of the most entertaining trailers I've seen.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Shape of Water question (spoilering just in case)
Why doesn't Sally Hawkins' character use her bed, instead opting for the couch? You can see it in the background in a few shots. Is there some significance to this that I missed?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That makes a lot of sense. I never considered that angle (mostly because I actual relish having the whole bed to myself when my wife is away)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

morestuff posted:

Can anyone think of any movies where there are two (or more) parallel, mostly separate investigations looking into the same event?

Prisoners kinda fits this mold.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does Johnny Depp smoke magic out of as skull bong in Fantastic Beasts?

If this is a serious question, the answer is yes, but he is more of a vape bro because everytime he takes a hit, he blows a ton of smoke out to do tricks

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I still can't imagine the Cruella movie happening. I just don't think there's any way you can sympathize a woman that kills puppies.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Everything about the animation for enter the spider verse was just fantastic. It's basically the wachowski speed racer of animated films.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't know how you could fall asleep in that movie. I felt like my butt was clenched for the entire run time and then part of the drive home from the theater.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I quite enjoy them because Tom Cruise has some crazy unmatched level of on screen charisma, plus watching him do all these insane stunts just makes it better. I probably couldn't recount the plot of any of the last three movies but I will swear up and down to how fun they are to watch.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think so.

I wonder if he killed Llewellyn's wife. I believe it's supposed to be ambiguous, and then he checks his shoe, like he's looking for blood.

Goddamn, what a good movie.

I think it's pretty clear he killed her. He does a similar "checking boots for blood" after a kill previously in the movie.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I enjoyed the Meyerowitz Stories which has him alongside Ben Stiller and Dustin Hoffman.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Gremlins 2 is a god drat treasure

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think for most actors, the money is enough to look past it. I'm imagining the running gag on the Flintstones where the animal they are using for a trash compactor looks to the screen and says "it's a living" except it's Denzel.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
3 a week, only 3 outstanding reservations at a time as well.

If going to the movies is a weekly routine for you, it's sort of a no brainer.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Alan Smithee posted:

gotdamn how is this sustainable

spoiler: it's not, and clearly i need to gettin while the moviepass marketshare scramble gettin is good

It's ok, they upped their concession prices and offerings at the same time. My wife and I rarely buy concessions or pay the outrageous amount of a burger delivered to your seat, but we see people frequently getting orders, so someone obviously is.

On the plus side, they give you a free large drink and popcorn on your birthday month with A List so that's a pretty solid deal. And your subscription and concession purchases are still counted towards getting a $5 credit here and there.

That said, if we had a good theater experience like an Alamo Drafthouse by us, I'd be only putting my money there, deal or no.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Maybe not a prank, but I believe Dodgeball's original ending had Vince Vaughn getting hit and them losing the match, smash cut to credits.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

feedmyleg posted:

A rare correct opinion on 90s music.

Jagged Little Pill would like a word

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What annoys me the most about this bizarre quote is I can just hear the voice in my head saying "it doesn't doooo anything" with that weird emphasis. This must be some strange Mandela effect tangent.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It was fine if totally unimpressive especially given the cast.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Also, worth ingesting basically all the film video essays and information you can find on YouTube. It helps you start to realize that movies are definitely a sum of their parts and that there's a WHOLE lot of parts to it.

Every Frame a Painting is the often recommended channel to start with in this thread but there's dozens of great stuff out there covering all facets of the movie making process.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Though it's not as technical, I enjoy Lindsay Ellis's videos. They are so well researched, they feel like a series of different graduate theses

Patrick H Willems has good stuff here and there as well.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
She is brought back for Glass as well. SLJ is 5 years her senior I believe.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I always figured that last line was just a dumb joke and nothing else.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The F&F movies know exactly what they are and they are wonderful. I just need them to hurry up and drive fast cars in space.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
M. Night Shyamalan infamously puts in a character who is a pompous film critic in Lady in the Water who he then murders off. It's not really the most subtle thing.

I really need to get drunk and watch that dumpster fire again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like me some Flophouse but if you can't tolerate Elliott, I would totally understand