Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People just don't give a poo poo. Ever go to someone's house and they're watching a 4:3 program on their 16:9 HDTV all stretched out? They don't give a poo poo. As long as they can pretty much see the actors, they don't give a poo poo. Nobody gives as poo poo. It loving sucks.

I visited my parents recently (who have a new HDTV) and my father told me to make sure that every time a show came on in 4:3 (or in his words "has the black bars on the sides") to switch it so it gets stretched out. He said the guy at the store told him that the black bars could burn the image into the screen and hurt the picture. Even if the show is only half an hour. I recall TVs having those kinds of problems years ago, but is it still an issue? From what you guys are saying, it sounds like it's not a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ah, good to know. I'm sure my father will never be convinced and always insist on stretching it, but at least I can try to inform him now.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

FishBulb posted:

I hope your parents actually listen. My wife's parents don't believe anything I say because they are older than me and know better.

They stretch everything and it fills me with rage.

Well, I just talked to my dad and he basically said that he didn't spend that much money on a tv to take a chance of ruining it. I suggested that I could send him some articles proving my point, but he insisted that he spoke to the manager at the store, so that guy obviously knows more about TVs than the internet. Although he finally admitted that I might be right, he is going to keep stretching because he "doesn't want to take the chance."

God bless parents...