Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I always thought that the monolith was meant to spur on/represent the evolution of man, particularly regarding tools. When it first shows up, weapons are invented; the next shot is of a satellite armed with nuclear warheads. Second time it shows up it's followed by the invention/introduction of HAL, a being fabricated by mankind that can outsmart any human, a cold, calculating being that is greater than its creators. The last one stands for rebirth, but I haven't quite figured it out entirely, yet.

edit: Of course, I COULD have it all wrong, but from what I remember (especially as described in the book) the monolith is an alien (maybe from Jupiter, maybe from God, who knows, is there even a difference) structure used to essentially find out is anyone there, and if so can they reach the point of evolution where tey can make contact with the creators. Hence the subtitle of 2010, hence the rest of this wall of text, and hence the best science fiction movie ever made.

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
William Friedkin talked a bit about the hiring of Linda Blair before a SIFF screening of The Exorcist. He said he needed a child that could handle the material (obviously, you can't just edit a movie like The Exorcist together without the actress having a clue) and said that he went through hundreds if not thousands of auditions for the role. Blair came in after casting was pretty much over, and Friedkin instantly warmed up to her. She said she'd read the book, and he asked her what she thought it was about.
Her response was "it's about a little kid getting possessed an masturbating with a crucifix."
"Masturbating...do you know what that means?"
"Yeah, it's like jacking off, right?"
"Have you ever masturbated before?"
"Sure! All the time. Haven't you?"
He hired her on the spot.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
They discuss this in the second film, to an extent, but the best answer I've heard is you can feed them at dawn at the earliest.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Follow the Scarecrow method of sorting: auteurs (directors you like and own 4 or more films from), foreign, and then insane micromanaging of subgenres from then on. If it's your only Joe Dante movie, Gremlins goes in "Lil' Bastards" alongside Ghoulies and Critters. Noir, Neo-Noir, and Faux-Noir sections. Keep the Giallos separate from the Euro-Horror.

Or just organize by spine color.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Never leave Béla Tarr out of long takes discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpJkf76X04
(Kinda :nws: for a second)

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
In The Big Lebowski, after Maude refers Lebowski to a doctor, the next scene is him pumped in his car punching the ceiling. Did he go to the doctor and get a handjob? Thanks in advance

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Just watched Speed last night and want to confirm with you all that it remains absolutely buckwild and basically perfect to this day.

Also some of the music was ripped off pretty much wholesale in MGS3 so great minds or whatever

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

SiKboy posted:

Under Siege was a boat. Under Siege 2 was a trainwreck.

Under Siege 2 was a trainwreck, Speed 2 was Willem Dafoe

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 10, 2017

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
2 questions:

1. Are there any sword-n-sorcery movies that come even kinda close to Conan the Barbarian? Even the sequel doesn't scratch the same itch.

2. Is there a fight scene in an apartment in Michael Clayton? Specifically one where someone hits someone else with the lid of a toilet tank? Or am I thinking of another movie with a similar looking apartment?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Is there a good zone to find year-end top ten lists aggregated?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hype williams was a master of his craft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
as far as podcasts go, i've been enjoying generation loss quite a bit. they're just nearing the ten episode mark and so far all of them have been quality.