Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Okay, here's my question:

What the hell is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ETQTNK37y4

And why didn't I know about it before!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

So, me and my dad were talking about Blazing Saddles and why it's one of the funniest god drat movies ever.

The general opinion is that it's brilliant parody of classic Western films that stares directly at the Hollywood film industry and the blatant racism of those times that classic Western films shy away from.

I got to thinking though, are there any films it's more specifically parodying? Or just the genre? Like here's the thing: I asked my dad if he could think of any Western movies where the main protagonist is a sheriff protecting a town from bad guys, and the only one he could think of is Support Your Local Sheriff (which I've never heard of, has anyone here seen it?) which is also a comedy film.

Most classic Westerns focus on an "outsider" as the protagonist, who at most, simply helps the sheriff of a town (Rio Bravo). Bart definitely qualifies as an outsider though. I suppose Blazing Saddles is mostly about poking fun at general Western film conventions, I was just wondering if there's also any references to actual films. You know, like how Airplane! takes most of its plot directly from an old film.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I can't believe it's been this long since I saw Green Hornet in theaters and I'm still wondering, how did they do that remarkably cool effect where a thug is kicked across a multiplying car?

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Can we talk about Valve's Source Filmmaker and what it means for the future of movies in general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zri1c_If6Ic

Once upon a time, professional grade software like Final Cut, Avid, and Premiere were not financially accessible for the average consumer. Once upon a time, websites like Youtube didn't exist, which now, potentially, makes distribution ridiculously simpler for more than the average consumer.

From what they've shown in this video of the software, I am hugely impressed with the quality of the product they're making available to the public. I'm not saying it'll be as big as Youtube, but I think it's another step, another indicator, that the quantity and quality of movies is going to be shifting towards a new direction. I don't know if we've already been living in a new "age" of filmmaking for a while, if its just around the corner, or it's just started and still defining itself, but...Man, something is different. Change is afoot.

I don't work in animation, I don't really know what capabilities current professional animation software programs have, but when I saw him pause that video and shift the angle, my eyes bulged out. That's so cool, man.

edit: I guess I'll put that in the form of a question. Does anyone here know how impressive Source Filmmaker's potential capabilities are compared to current professional animation software (eg whatever Pixar uses)?

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 28, 2012