Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

codyclarke posted:

I just noticed that John McTiernan came out with Predator, Die Hard, and The Hunt for Red October in the span of roughly 3 years. Each one of those films are arguably the greatest films of their sub-genres. That's extremely impressive.

Can anyone think of other directors that came out with 3 very important and iconic films in roughly 3 years? I'm trying to think of some and I'm blanking.

Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
The Two Towers (2002)
Return of the King (2003)

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

In Return of the Jedi, why exactly does the Emperor want Luke to turn to the dark side and be his apprentice? He already rules the Galaxy, what does he have to gain by turning Luke? If anything, it seems that having a super-powerful evil apprentice is a liability, the guy's just going to stab you in the back.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

But why would he want an apprentice that's stronger than Vader? Anakin is already talking about killing the Emperor and taking over in Episode 3, and probably would have if Obi Wan hadn't crippled him. Vader is pretty much the ideal right hand man, really - just weak enough that he's not a threat to the Emperor, but still strong enough to beat just about anyone else.

Then again, I'm probably just thinking about it too hard when the answer is probably "Lucas! :argh:"

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Somehow, I've never seen Alien before. I'm about to sit down and watch the Blu Ray that just came out, should I be going Theatrical or Director's Cut for my first viewing?

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

penismightier posted:

Theatrical.

Awesome, thanks. What about the other three films? Is there a general consensus on which are the best cuts?