Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Three Red Lights posted:

exposing anti-white conspiracy.

I wonder if the "88" in his username means what I think it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It was the 70's. Everyone was on a lot of drugs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

QuoProQuid posted:

I just watched The Shining and I've got a two questions:

1.) Is it ever explained what exactly Tony is? Is he just an imaginary friend? A personification of Danny's abilities? The ghost of one of the Overlook Hotel's victims?

2.) What happened in room 327?

I haven't read the book myself but I'm told that in it Tony is Danny communicating with himself from the future using the Shining. He goes by Tony because his full name is Daniel Anthony or something like that.

Which is an alright twist but I like the movies approach of not explaining at all it's much more satisfying.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 21, 2012

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

It is, and I get annoyed when people quote it as "Welcome to Earf," because he pretty clearly enunciates the "th" sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

Will Smith isn't Cockney?

Well colour me surprised.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Love.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pretty much every shot in Evil Dead where you don't see the actors faces used so called Fake Shemps instead of actors. Instead of paying an actor for a shot where he doesn't really do anything Sam and Rob would just dress someone, sometimes themselves, sometimes someone else from the crew but mostly Ted Raimi Sam's kid brother, in the actors clothes thus saving a lot of money that would otherwise been wasted on wages.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 5, 2013

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Zogo posted:

Are there any films that defy genre completely or can all films be placed into some category? If not, what are the attributes and characteristics that place a film on the farthest outskirts of all established genres?

Trash Humpers. I suppose you could file it under Horror-Comedy/Erotic Thriller but still doesn't fit all that well.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 13, 2013

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mescal posted:

Okay, try me. What's so good about brazil? I thought its bureaucratic dystopia thing was pretty tired.

The production design is pretty much the best and it's a really pretty movie in general.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No Gravitas posted:

Can anyone suggest a few good movies in the Magical Realism style?

I already know of Amelie and don't care for Woody Allen.
Children of Nature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbJP8NDaqFU
Don't let the really cheesy trailer fool you it's actually really good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Keaton was pretty much the best. I'm not that much for slapstick but something about his totally stoic deadpan expression never breaking no matter what he goes through just really cracks me up.

Bongo Bill posted:

In both "The Thief of Bagdad" and "Metropolis," the film begins and ends with an explicit statement of the ostensible moral of the story, which also appears as a dialog intertitle at some point. Was this a very common practice in silent films of the 1920s?

Someday I want to make a vampire movie that starts with the words:
"Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks."
- Karl Marx

Of course the vampires will be a thinly veiled allegory for capitalism and all the characters will be defined by their class like in the Soviet Montage films.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MadScientistWorking posted:

Wasn't that the plotline to Daybreakers?

Pretty much.

But what I had in mind is basically Daybreakers if it was pure agitprop about characters from the working classes banding together to kill the capitalists with the power of communism. Like if Eisenstein's Strike had been a vampire B-movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ynohtna posted:

Steadicam mounted on the actor and pointing at their face.

The proper term for this is Snorricam thank you very much.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Titicut Follies comes to mind. It's a documentary from 1967 about the conditions at the Bridgewater State Hospital for the criminally insane. It's all fly-on-the-wall footage that uses editing to create context instead of a narrator or talking heads. It's really depressing in parts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Comedy option:
Lar's Von Trier's Idioterne.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

scary ghost dog posted:

My favorite one is in Evil Dead 2 when Ash is steadying himself on the mirror and Evil Ash pops out and grabs him by the shoulders.

There is also a scene in the original where he touches a mirror and it ripples like a pool of water.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the one with a monotonic British narrator that heavily implies that Courtney Love had Kurt killed and threw El Duce from the Mentors under a train for telling people she tried to hire him to orchestrate Kurt's death.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That paper is very good but seems to suggest that the Icelandic draugar are always walking corpses which isn't really the case. Most draugar aren't even corporeal and limited to driving people insane, appearing in peoples dreams or just making odd noises in the dark instead of beating them to death, dragging them into graves and possibly drinking their blood. Also wrestling them into submission then decapitating and burning them isn't always the correct solution. Sometimes you might have to carve a magical rune into some leather or wood, put blood on it and recite a spell while spitting all over the place. The usual and fool-proof way of dealing with draugar is however is to yell insults at them if they as much as look at you funny.

It's almost as if folklore isn't very big on consistency sometimes.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 27, 2013

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love Italian movies that try to bait people by using the same name as some famous movie except with some number behind it to fool people into thinking it's a sequel. Like how Bruno Mattei's Aliens ripoff Shocking Dark (AKA Alienators AKA Contaminator) was called Terminator II in some countries.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sometimes you might want to have the characters use some sort of brand product to make things seem more 'real' but the company might not be interested in paying to have their product or logo show up in your movie for some reason, maybe if you're making something like Chainsaw Scumfuck part III: Revelations and they don't want to be associated with that or something, so if you want to be allowed to use it you might have to pay.

I think one of the commentaries for Shaun of the Dead mentions that the scene where they turn on the tv but all the channels are just broadcasting their logos and some text about technical difficulties was one most expensive scenes in the entire film because of all the money spent on clearing the various logos.

Repo Man avoided this problem rather cleverly by having all the products be ultra-generic:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hbomberguy posted:

'The Darkness (I'm dead loving serious, darkness was capitalised throughout like an objective concept) of Game of Thrones' or whatever.
Writing about an early 00's Glam Rock band in Game of Thrones seems like bit of a strange choice when there's so much else to write about. You could probably write a great deal about the whole "White Savior" thing Denny has going or about how the depiction of chivalry in the show compares to the genre of chivalric romance or how it's basically about how institutions interact with each other and with individuals.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 20, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Indian genocide theory is the only one that holds any water.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The scene in Austin Powers where they kill a random henchman and it cuts to his wife and children finding out about his death is hilarious.

bobkatt013 posted:

Third Man is a good one to watch, but I will always suggest Third Man.
Other good noir:
Kiss of Death
Touch of Evil
Double Indemnity
Big Combo
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The film making industry is probably the most unionized part of the private sector in America. So most people get decent benefits and wages. You have to remember that even the jobs that seem really simple have to be done over and over and over again for 12+ hours a day.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

e:
ooops wrong thread.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You could just make Rayographs but then there wouldn't really be any other departments either

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The real Henry Hill was eventually dropped from witness protection because he kept getting back into contaxt with old buddies and/or comitting crimes. He seems to think that not being a gangster, even just for a while, is a fate worse than death.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm pretty sure Mad Max held the world record for budget to profit ratio until Blair Witch Project came along.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Really the best way to enjoy David Lynch is to just go with the flow.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kelvin is the superior temperature scale because it starts at the beginning.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollywood accounting makes sure that even when you make money you lose money. At least on paper.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first trailer was some badmen robbing a bank and flying away in a helicopter only for it to suddenly stop in mid air. The camera then zoomed out revealing it to be stuck in a giant web between the Twin Towers. It was rad.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 9, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A surprisingly large number of goons seem to be really really bad at recognizing faces.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The bug pit scene is the one scene where it feels like a proper Peter Jackson movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are you going to try and explain Battlefield Earth to a blind robot or something?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

I'd be very surprised if any of those films were actually shot on VHS (maybe Trash Humpers); they are probably shot digitally and the image degraded in post.

Trash Humpers was shot and edited on VHS.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Generation loss can turn literally anything into a horror movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's not exactly a reboot. It's by the same director as the old films and is meant to be set somewhere between them. It was originally meant to be a Unforgiven style "Old man looking back at his violent life and getting drawn back into it" film starring Mel Gibson but somehow morphed into what is basically one long feature length car chase. I suspect Mel going a bit crazier might have something to do with them casting another younger actor in his place.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Boatswain posted:

I want to see some Wim Wenders that isn't Paris, Texas. Recs?

Watch Börn Náttúrunnar. It's actually directed by Friğrik Şór Friğriksson but the main character from Wings of Desire has a cameo in it so it's obviously a shared unisverse sort of deal like the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It sort of neuters the point of the source material by making V into a vaguely liberal hero instead of a explicitly anarchist maniac and making the Nazis, who were cruel but very human in the comic, into what basically amounts to mustache twirling villains. In the film the head Nazi is called Adam SuHitler and is basically pure distilled evil. In the comic he's a goony dweeb called Adam Susan who is literally in love with a computer. Basically just watering everything down and making it feel a bit to weak.

It's also not nearly as good at glorifying terrorism as Battle of Algiers or Carlos or Baader-Meinhof Complex.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

tuyop posted:

I've heard Pan's Labyrinth meets my criteria. T/F?

Fascism does have a lot of propaganda but I don't think it counts as either marketing or sales.