Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Oh come on we can do better than a link to wiki.

Satch posted:

For example of mis-en-scene:

To me, the term has two uses:
1. to describe the set up of a scene, and
b. to indicate that the scene was intentionally set up in a certain way for a specific effect.

There's another thread about Brazil and "how he does it". Gilliam is an obsessive genius at setting up scenes and filling the screen with items and details to manipulate and control the viewer's emotional and intellectual response.
This attention to detail is probably also why Gilliam makes the producers and investors so angry, hehe.

Kubrick's got so many examples. The setting, the arrangement, the lighting, the maps on the wall with blinking lights, the postures of the men.

Hope I'm not breaking tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lot 49 posted:

Are movies generally getting longer?
... am I alone in thinking this?
Not alone at all. I think one reason is CG. Seems that in movies with lots of action and SFX, battles and chase scenes get extended as the effects go from the unlikely to the impossible. And the cumulative effect of increasing the length of each action scene by a few minutes results in a movie being an extra half hour long.

It often bugs me because CG is usually obvious, and while the cars jump off ramps and bridges and roofs, or the army increases their firepower against a monster, the plot has come to a standstill and we have to wait for the CG to conclude in order to get back to the forward motion of the storyline.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Another quesion; what was the first movie to be adapted from something other than existing Book or Play?
What else could a movie be adapted from?

Og Oggilby posted:

Plenty of the earliest of early films are based on newspaper articles or true-life stories.

twistedmentat posted:

I probably should have added "fictional source".
Added - to be included or excluded?
What exactly are you asking here? In order for there to be an adaptation, there has to be a source.
Would a movie adapted from folklore or a song be okay for you?
Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam from 1920 was based on an old myth in Jewish folklore.
But you can't really attribute the source material to one person or story or "fictional source", so is it an adaptation :iiam:

Mutiny on the Bounty was adapted from Wake of the Bounty. Is that permissible within your specified parameters?
1943's Madame Curie is about the life of her and her husband. The screenplay was adapted from a biography by Marie Curie's daughter. There are almost certainly earlier movie adaptations based on biographies.
Are these allowed within the constraints of your question?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Akuma posted:

On the one hand, I want to see Salo because of it's pretty legendary status, and it seems well regarded. And it's being re-released by Criterion next month, so that helps. But on the other hand it sounds pretty drat disturbing and horrible and I'm not exactly going to enjoy it.

Those that have seen it, how did it make you feel? Are you glad to have seen it? Should I see it? I'm a wuss.
You should see it if you're interested in an artistic statement against Italian fascism of the 30s and 40s.
If you only want to see it for the spectacle of some scenes you've heard about, your reactions will range from being bored to grossed out.

Toebone posted:

Lots of films reference the oranges=death motif from the Godfather movies. Did the Godfather movies make it up, or did oranges have this sort of significance prior to the films, in some cultures?
I don't know anything about that.
Could this imagery be related to the scene with the oranges in a towel in The Grifters?

quote:

BOBO
Get me a bath towel.

She gets up, hurting, and hurries to the bathroom. Bobo sits
on the sofa, crosses his ankles on the coffee table next to
the supermarket bag. He takes out and lights a cigar. Lilly
comes back with a large white bath towel.

BOBO (CONT'D)
You ever hear about the oranges?

LILLY
You mean, the insurance frammis?

BOBO
Tell me about the oranges, Lilly.

He kicks over the supermarket bag. Oranges roll on the floor.

BOBO (CONT'D)
While you put those in the towel.

Lilly's very scared. She drops to her knees, spreads the
towel, crawls around gathering oranges while she talks.

LILLY
You hit a person with the oranges
in the towel, they get big, awful
looking bruises, but they don't
really get hurt, not if you do it
right. It's for working scams
against insurance companies.

BOBO
And if you do it wrong?

LILLY
It can louse up your insides. You
can get puh, puh, puh...

BOBO
(impatient)
What's that, Lilly?

Lilly pauses, bent over, tightly holding an orange.

LILLY
Permanent damage.

BOBO
You'll never poo poo right again.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 26, 2008

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

tickle monster posted:

I swear we used to have a recommendation thread, but I couldn't find it. I've been on a stylized sci-fi fantasy film kick, and every place I've searched has told me to just rewatch Star Wars. Can someone recommend me a sciifi film like Barbarella, Forbidden Planet, or Flash Gordon? As long as the visual style holds and it's watchable, quality doesn't really matter.
That's a pretty wide swath of galactic adventuring.
Yeah you'll probably like Ice Pirates and

• Cherry 2000.
  • CQ is a stylish movie about the filming of a movie similar to Barbarella; not the greatest plot but a good cast.
  • The American Astronaut. Check it out, scifi made with no budget. Entertaining with a unique visual style and sense of humour.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 26, 2009