Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
You can see her last name on the plane ticket in the first movie just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
James Bond uses a car phone in...Goldfinger, I think, but I don't know if that counts since they weren't actually around then.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Is the Japanese remake of Unforgiven any good?

If you've seen Unforgiven before and you want to watch it again, you might as well go with the Japanese version. It's pretty much the exact same story, just not quite as good. But it gets a bunch of extra points for the uniqueness of the setting. And it actually has spoken Ainu in it, which must be super rare.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When a studio buys the rights to a property, sometimes there's a clause in the contract that if they don't exploit the property within X number of years, the rights revert to the original owner.

So say WB wants to make a Sandman movie. They buy the rights from either DC or Neil Gaiman (probably DC) with the caveat that they release a Sandman film theatrically within eight years. If they haven't got something out in that time, then they have to acquire the rights again. But DC, of course, doesn't have to sell them to WB; if Disney makes a better offer, WB is SOL.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Snak posted:

...how old are you?
People who weren't born when ID4 came out can vote.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When Tim Burton's Batman came out, would Bruce Wayne's backstory have been common knowledge? I ask because it feels like the opening of the movie is supposed to be a fakeout, with a couple and their child walking into a dark alley and getting attacked by criminals. But then the movie treats it as something of a reveal later on when Vicki Vale uncovers the murder of the Waynes. I don't think the Adam West series tackled the murder at all, and that probably would have been the main source of Batman osmosis.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

muscles like this? posted:

Randy Quaid actually was abducted by aliens.

This explains a lot, actually.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Armyman25 posted:

Was reading about the Music Box, I think that's the option I'll go with if I can get tickets.

The Music Box is gorgeous if you've never been. I'm way out in the suburbs so I'll probably try elsewhere first, but it's a gem.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This might be too subjective and too personal to really answer, but the final scene in The Hunt for Red October has always looked really bad to me, and I can't quite figure out why. It's obviously green-screened, but there are other obvious green-screen effects that I have no problem with. It really seems like a terrible effects shot and I can't explain why. Is there anybody who sees what I'm talking about with a more in-depth knowledge of this stuff?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sleeveless posted:

Somebody made a trailer for a sixth installation of the Final Destination franchise, which was to be set in medieval times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbiOv7s2Hw

Granted it was only a pitch and was mostly made of clips from other movies, but I think it meets the criteria.

Well, there goes my pitch for a Final Destination movie.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's been pointed out before that both Aliens and Terminator 2 are, to some degree, essentially remakes of the first movie done in a different style.

Also, I never saw it, but when that second RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie came out I remember a lot of reviewers going after it for being the exact same movie.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Hail Caesar was definitely a light movie, but I really enjoyed it. I am continually baffled by Channing Tatum's ever-increasing talent.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

franco posted:

This may be a hard one to answer, or the answer may just be "it depends", but there are people who work on films around these parts and plenty more who know a lot about behind the scenes stuff, and it's bugging me, so here goes.

I was watching a pretty dreadful DTV sequel (too embarrassed to name it) where they had a stunt where a car is out of control, goes off a bridge into the river and sinks. The film was low-budget enough (and old enough) that they clearly sent a beater up a ramp and into the water for real with no CGI or anything else involved and it was obviously a real bridge and stretch of water in the middle of nowhere rather than a "set".

Would that car be recovered afterwards? Would they just say "gently caress it, who cares? Too expensive to clean up after ourselves and it's Bumfuck, Nowheresville" and leave it there? Same goes for the classic "car goes off cliff and goes boom". Just leave the burned out shell there? Same goes for any practical effect that leaves debris I suppose. Are there regulations/fines if a film production litters (for want of a better word) the landscape? I guess maybe higher-budget/profile productions might be more considerate if only to avoid bad press? I'm reminded of the furore over The Beach (albeit that's a much bigger deal).

I can't answer that question specifically, but I used to work for a town that had some fairly big bodies of water and by all accounts they're full of discarded vehicles. There's a road that goes right through the lake basically and maybe once or twice a year somebody will go off the side. If they don't get out divers will recover the bodies but cars are apparently way too much of a hassle and don't cause enough problems with the environment to make it worthwhile to recover them. Even if they reported the car sinking, that would probably be the end of it, less a $500 pollution fine.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I watched Hacksaw Ridge the other day and it got me thinking about large battle scenes in movies. How are largely dialog-free, action-heavy portions of films dealt with in the script? There's definitely a narrative to the sequences of events in Hacksaw Ridge and other movies, but you could narrow down like half an hour of that movie to a bullet pointed list. At that point does a writer just leave it up to the storyboard artist?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've always worked really weird hours so I end up being one of three people in a theatre at like 9 in the morning on a Tuesday. I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I remember Ebert blasting the first American Godzilla because there were Siskel and Ebert stand-ins and Emmerich didn't even have the decency to have them get killed by Godzilla.