Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is the process of converting a movie to 3D in post an expensive one? Does it really increase profits enough to justify it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It's the condescending tone and voice of his posts that does it, I think. He's not offering an alternate take; he's telling you the correct way to see it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Crow T. Robot once asked, "How can you have a guest star in a movie?" and now I'm wondering the same thing.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

When it comes to shooting fight scenes, do the actors involved really have any idea of how it's going to look until they see the finished product?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

In shows where there's a cliffhanger season finale, when the next season picks up right where the cliffhanger left off, do they film that little bit at the time of the cliffhanger? I'm mostly curious how they get the actors to look exactly the same, since if they don't film it then, they have to come back months later.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Snak posted:

It depends on the show. Sometimes they are filmed back to back, and sometimes they aren't. Sometimes you can tell it was, because the actors look different starting in the second episode of the next season.

I just realized you mean the little bit. Sometime they film the whole two-parter back to back. I'm not sure about your specific question.

It's hard to explain what I mean, but I have an example. Supernatural spoilers ahoy!

At the end of Supernatural season six, Sam, Dean, and Cass are in a standoff. I don't recall exactly what happens, but when season 7 starts, they're still in the standoff, same spots and all. Did they film the finale of season six and the first few minutes of the seventh season all at once?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Snak posted:

Possibly? It's also possible they filmed the entire first episode of season 7 at the same time as the season 6 finale. Some shows do that.

Some shows also don't even know what's going to happen as they haven't decided how the cliffhanger is going to resolve.

Oh, okay! Thanks a ton.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

This isn't about movies, but movie theaters; I saw in the Greenlit thread that theaters don't have anyone in the projection booth anymore, so I was wondering, does the theater just get a DVD of the movie they're showing and just throw it in? Do they do test screenings of those movies? Afterward, do they ship their theater copy back to wherever it came from, or are they destroyed?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

Close. They get a hard drive in a box.

More.

Many movies are now directly streamed to theaters over the Internet.

Hey, that's pretty cool! Thanks for the reply.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

On average, how long does it take a movie to get made? About a year? Including all the editing and post-production stuff? Why does post take so long? Is it just a matter of ensuring all the parts fit together correctly and that the takes you have are as good as you think?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

For the editor, does the same person do all the sound editing as the video editing? Does one person put all the video in order, then add dialog and music tracks? Or are there multiple editors for that?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

bows1 posted:

Depends on the size of the job. I work primarily in commercials so you have an editor, colorist, sound mixer etc all on the same spot. I'm sure indie films have one guy do everything, and on features you can have everything get exponentially bigger

How many on like, one of the Marvel movies? As compared to, say, a romantic comedy?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

therattle posted:

If you are interested I can post a fairly standard delivery schedule, showing what a production has to deliver to a sales agent/distributor.

That would be pretty cool to see, I think. Thanks for all the info!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why did popcorn become the de facto movie food? Is it just because it's cheap and can be sold at an exorbitant markup?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

When they write subtitles for a movie or show, does the person writing them have a script to work from? I only ask because I've been watching Bleach on Hulu lately, and I've noticed some of the subs are either completely wrong or they say [unintelligable] when you can actually understand what is being said.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Are directors and other movie crew people allowed to talk about the movies they're working on? For example, while filming Civil War, was Chris Evans allowed to talk about how today they finished the giant fight scene where War Machine is horribly injured? Or do most major notion pictures have nondisclosure agreements in place?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It varies from picture to picture, but the Marvel movies all have incredibly stringent NDAs for everyone involved.

I thought so. Are those guys even allowed their cell phones on set?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The Beast of Yucca Flats is a lot of stock footage, isn't it?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Okja was real bad tho

Okja was cool, and good, actually.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If you're an idiot fucker with bad opinions, yeah :dukedog:

Looks like we both are :smaug:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I was watching MST3K, The Giant Spider Invasion, and during the opening credits, a guest star is listed. Crow asks, "How do you have a guest star in a movie?"

That's my question. How do you have a guest star in a movie?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Guys, if the kids die you can just make more kids. It's not a big deal.

And it's more fun than making more rats.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What's the difference between a remake and a reboot? Don't they both kickstart a new universe/timeline/whatever for that property?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thanks for the quick replies. I hadn't really thought about it before. I suppose that's how Star Trek could bring Spock in; they were a reboot of the series.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Can someone explain rotoscoping and how it works? I think it's the process where they can insert an actor to converse with themselves, or something along those lines. Flipping through channels the other day, Jack and Jill was on (didn't watch it, thank God) and my wife wondered how they could get it so Adam Sandler was facing himself and having a conversation.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, that's cool. I had heard the term before, but really had no idea what it was. To make sure I've got it right, rotoscoping is where they draw an outline of a character to insert another later on. Using green screen technology, they can get the same actor in the shot, too, and there's a lens covering technique to do the same thing, but that's basically too obvious and gives no room for interaction.

This is why this is one of my favorite threads on the forums. I can come here and ask a question about anything movie related, and you guys aren't assholes about it. You give good, detailed information, and make sure I'm understanding what's going on.

The other boards make out like CineD is the biggest group of assholes on the internet, but that's not true in my experiences.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Well that's almost correct. Rotoscoping isn't typically where you outline to insert something in to. It's usually that you're outlining something you want to extract. That can be for a lot of reasons. Do you want to add color correction to just that character? Do you want to make that a separate layer you can move above other stuff? For instance, lets say there's a scene with two people. One closer to the camera than the other. Well lets say I decide I want to add some smokey atmosphere to the scene. If I just plop it down on top of everything then you get everything flat and hazed up. Maybe I want to add some depth to it and that would mean the person closest to the camera would be unaffected by the haze. I'd roto them out, and move them - as a separate layer - above the fog.

Make sense?

That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Doesn't The Faculty have one?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

How much, on average, does it cost to license music for a movie? I'm guessing the bigger the musician/band, the more it costs, at least generally speaking.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's been rumored it cost Marvel millions to use the 'Immigrant Song' for Thor.

Bonnie Raitt got a million dollars for her song 'Something to Talk About' to be the title of a Julia Roberts movie.

Does a band have any input on what movies can use their music? For instance, could the Red Hot Chili Peppers say that they won't allow any of their music to be used in future Friday the 13th movies and WB Records goes, "lol nah"?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

For a question that isn't strictly about movies, but in music videos where the band is performing (like a shot of an 80's hair band rocking out in the spark factory in between shots of chicks dancing), are they actually performing and the music is like, dubbed over them, or are they basically just lip syncing, but for every instrument?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

How do directors and editors decide to cut certain scenes? There are a fair few movies where if they had included some scenes that were cut, they're improved and make more sense. I don't quite get the process of, "Okay, this kind of explains what would be a massive plot hole, but let's just snip that right out."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Isn't that because Sam only wanted to have a kickass garden, and the ring couldn't help with that?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

For animals in movies, how do they get paid? I mean, I'm guessing whoever owns the animal probably gets a check, but how does an animals rate of pay compare to a person's?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

cyberbug posted:

There was a bit in Alien 4, making of, (or maybe in the commentary) by the director Jean-Pierre Jeunet about when he really understood why big Hollywood productions are as expensive as they are. In his previous movie Delicatessen they needed a spider so he went to the attic of the building they were shooting in, caught one and they used it in the movie. In Alien 4, they also needed a spider for a pretty brief shot. In that production they had to hire in a professional spider wrangler for $50k per day, just for that. (If I remember correctly, but I'm not going and checking that right now)

Thanks for the reply! I'd kind of forgotten I'd asked about that. It got lost in some other chat.

But it seems like being an animal handler could be a pretty lucrative career.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

In the beginning credits of 2014 Godzilla, there are parts of the credits that get blanked over, like a CIA document. Is there somewhere online where those are visible and we can see what they actually say? I can only catch glimpses, and owning it on Vudu makes it hard to pause and move forward enough to see what's written.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Maybe this isn't exactly the right place, but here goes.

I watched Annihilation a few days ago, and there's no thread for it (that I could find, but I used the search function). That ending scene in the lighthouse was loving bonkers. Was the thing sentient? Did it know what it was doing? Or did it just mimic Natalie Portman, trying to learn?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you. I knew I shouldn't have trusted the search function.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Almost Blue posted:

Are there any Hollywood movies where a black guy is romantically involved with a white woman and it isn't treated as a big deal? I was talking with a friend about that earlier today and the closest we could think of was Pulp Fiction, but Uma Thurman and Ving Rhames never appear on screen together.

In Alien Covenant, all the couples on board were married, and if I remember right, there was a black guy/white woman. They were killed in the shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Do movie taglines still exist? Was their original purpose just to psyche people up for the film?