Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the remake of Ocean's Eleven (the George Clooney one) but never watched Ocean's Twelve or Thirteen. I've put them on my list now so I'll get to them eventually. But I'm curious about another sequel I haven't seen to a movie I really like: is there anything in it to make Be Cool worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ask because I watched Get Shorty again recently and had a lot of fun with it, and it's got me keen to go after similar crime movies with a kind of irreverent tone to them. The trouble is, I feel like I've watched most of them already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

Have you done the whole Elmore Leonard crime catalog

I've seen Get Shorty, Jackie Brown and Out of Sight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Did you see Inherent Vice?

Based on Pynchon of all things, not Leonard but pretty good. Not sure if irreverent or just weird.

I haven't seen it, no, but I've been meaning to. I've only seen two Paul Thomas Anderson movies (Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood), both of which I thought were very good and lead me to assume that his other movies must also be very good, but for the most part the descriptions of their stories don't really interest me much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it true that Spielberg was interested in directing the Harry Potter movies (or at least the first one) but he wanted Haley Joel Osment to play Harry and Rowling said no, he had to be British?

I feel like that would've been around the time he made A.I. so I feel like it sort of fits.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember talking to my dad about Blade Runner when the sequel came out (the original one is one of his all-time favourite movies) and he said he was very surprised that it got made at all, much less that it had apparently had so much money thrown behind it, because in his recollection the original wasn't a Star Wars level blockbuster by any means and was always more of a cult film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SimonCat posted:

You get this in lots of 60s biker movies, and then we move on to Jeff Goldblum's gang in Death Wish

One of my favourite "did you know this was Famous Actor X's first movie" examples. :D

See also: Jessica Lange in the 1976 version of King Kong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to canvas for some opinions on a movie I haven't seen but am very curious about. It's William Friedkin's 1980 crime movie Cruising, starring Al Pacino as a New York cop who goes undercover in New York City's gay club scene to track down a serial killer who is targeting gay men.

My question is really threefold: is it as homophobic as its infamous reputation suggests; is it worth watching in spite of that; and is it so homophobic that it would be very off-putting to watch? How would it compare with something like, say, The Silence of the Lambs, a movie I like and enjoy but undeniably has some problematic contents?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

That sounds like dictionary definition "the lady doth protest too much"

Reads a bit like one of those Ugandan newspapers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Hollywood will never truly be progressive until we give a Best Director Oscar to a woman who has been convicted of reprehensible things.

Easily done.

We just wait until Allison Mack is out of jail and makes a movie dramatising her experiences running a Hollywood sex cult. It's hailed as ingenious and she wins the award.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the back cover blurbs for home video releases, are there restrictions about what movies they can mention the cast previously having been in? For example, I have next to me the dvd of How I Spent My Summer Vacation, an action movie from a few years ago starring Mel Gibson. On the back cover, the description begins, "It's been a bad day for Driver (Mel Gibson - The Edge of Darkness)" - why The Edge of Darkness and not Lethal Weapon or The Road Warrior something like that? Is it a rights issue or does it depend on when the movie/dvd is coming out?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krankenstyle posted:

They probably also want to avoid mentioning a film from a competitor (no idea if that's the case here)

Well, in that example, the front cover of the DVD says "From the producers of Braveheart and Apocalypto" so I'd have thought they'd go with one of those.

Doesn't even say "Academy Award-winner Mel Gibson" now that I look at it, and they always do that!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Idris Elba romantically involved with Jessica Chastain in Molly's Game? (I haven't seen it.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did Sidney Poitier and Katharine Houghton kiss in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner or was that pushing the envelope too far for 1967? :v:

(I think it's great how the Best Picture nominees that year were Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, Bonnie & Clyde, The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night and... Doctor Doolittle.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Macaroni posted:

Shoot, double post. Well, here's a question: what are some kids' movies that have sad endings and/or have the hero(es) die at the end?

I can think of Iron Giant and Charlotte's Web right off the bat, and The Last Unicorn is bittersweet as hell. Others?

Pay It Forward.

Here's what you need to do: find a list of books that won the Newbery Medal, then check which ones were made into movies. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh wow, here's a film I haven't thought about in nearly fifteen years.

Kevin Spacey was more ubiquitous in the late 90s than I'd realised and it's already weird looking back at it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Pay it Forward is one of the worst loving films, watched it with family and the ending was so calculated to be emotionally manipulative I got angry.

Oh, yes, it's not very good at all, it was just the first thing that occurred to me when I thought "kids' movie where the protagonist dies".

What was the name of that one where Macaulay Culkin gets stung to death by bees?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there many notable examples of famous directors acting as their own cinematographers? I don't mean situations where cinematographers start directing their own movies like (the first examples that occur to me) Barry Sonnenfeld or Jan de Bont, but a director doing some or all of the cinematography on their movies.

Soderbergh photographed Traffic under a pseudonym but that's the only one I can think of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Death Wish 3. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Controversial/provocative choice for late 70s/early 80s: William Friedkin's Cruising.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boring Hollywood trivia: before he became a big movie actor (he was already a big TV actor but he wasn't big in movies yet) Michael Douglas produced One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and won an Oscar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fantasia was 1940 and Fantasia 2000 was 1999/2000, if that counts (it might not, since the second one wasn't continuing a story from the first). There's a number of Disney DTV sequels to their animated movies that sometimes came out decades after the original movies and didn't tend to be coming from the same creative crew.

Return to Oz was about 40 years after The Wizard of Oz and as I recall it's presented as a sequel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why even remake Sleuth when the original one is basically perfect?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Peter Hyams, who directed the original Universal Soldier movie, came back for his son's Universal Soldier movies as cinematographer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was also 10 years between The Hand that Rocks the Cradle and its sequel, Cradle 2 the Grave, which had a completely different cast and crew.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hadn't realised how often Newman had been nominated before he actually won. Pretty close to another guy who's Oscar was a pretty obvious career award, Al Pacino.

Surprised he didn't get a nomination for The Sting.

Everything else about that movie did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long did it take Kenneth Branagh to make his version of Hamlet?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Edward Woodward should have been the name of a whimsical fairy tale character, not some real bloke.

Morecambe and Wise used to have him on their show regularly because they enjoyed referring to him as "Edwood Woodwood" and he was a good sport about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently watched through the Fargo series. It's really good, maybe a top five all-time show for me, but in the third season it was sort of... distracting might not be the right way of describing it, but clearly the big hook was meant to be Ewan McGregor playing twins and then David Thewlis steals the show in every scene he's in.

I watched that season when I was absolutely bunged with a dreadful head cold and felt nauseous all the time and every time Varga showed up I felt like I could smell him through the screen. He was robbed not getting the Emmy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Bet you never wanted to eat ice cream again for a bit. Looking forward(?) to Chris Rock in season 4.

Nah, the grossest bit is him in the third or fourth episode (the one where Thornton does the Peter and the Wolf narration) and he's just piling food into his mouth; he picks up this fried egg and just crams it in on top of everything else and it's just :barf: (literally so a few seconds later).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw No Country long before I'd seen any other Coen brothers movies (in fact I think it inspired me to seek out other McCarthy novels rather than to watch other Coens movies) but having done so in the years since it's fantastic how well it fits in with their other work despite being an adaptation.

I suppose Joel and Ethan Coen are a bit like Cormac McCarthy with more of a sense of humour, though. :p

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard for me to pick a favourite because there's still a few I have not seen (mostly their comedies - haven't seen Huduscker Proxy, Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty, Serious Man, Hail Caesar or Suburbicon).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen Inside Llewyn Davis either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What would be the worst / least good one?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, which Coen brothers movie other than Fargo would also be a good basis for a television series which could use the same setting and explore the same themes?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

A buddy roadtrip TV show with Anton Chigurh. His partner changes every episode for...reasons.

No, his partner would be that motorbike bounty hunter from Raising Arizona.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

couldcareless posted:

I still can't imagine the Cruella movie happening. I just don't think there's any way you can sympathize a woman that kills puppies.

It turns out the puppies were racist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I Before E posted:

A double origin story, for Cruella and for that Lady Gaga meat dress

Turns out this is actually a stealth Muppets reboot and Cruella wants to make a dress out of Kermit the Frog.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Jaws: The Revenge had the one guy (not Michael Caine) who I'm pretty sure falls directly into the shark's mouth and is then dragged under water with this massive cloud of blood trailing after him, then after they kill the shark, he hauls himself back onto the boat and starts cracking jokes with the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why are Academy Awards called Oscars? When did the two terms become interchangeable?

When the statues were unveiled, a reporter commented, "It looks just like my Uncle Oscar," and the name stuck.