Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Regarding the discussion of American Psycho, IMDB says that "Director Mary Harron (in a Charlie Rose interview) and co-screenwriter Guinevere Turner (in the DVD commentary) have both stated explicitly that the murders were in fact real. They consider it a major failure of the film that viewers are confused by this point."

I think Ape Agitator's second theory about American Psycho is the one that was intended. He is an actual murderer, but the world around him is so shallow and wrapped up with conformity that no one notices. They are too concerned with the brand name of the duffel bag to notice the corpse inside of it and too concerned about fitting in to even tell which one of them is dead. It's unbelievable, but it's supposed to be a satirical jab at yuppie culture. I can understand thinking that the murders were all imaginary. I think what throws people off most is the "feed me a stray cat" scene, which is the only thing that can't really be explained with this theory. I suppose Bateman is hallucinating but not to the point where the murders are entirely fabricated.

I have no idea where the "cover-up because he's the son of an important person" theory comes from, though. I don't see anything in the movie that hints at this and it's been mentioned on the forums before.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU