Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
What was the first samurai movie that popularized or featured the stereotypical duel in which two samurai run past each other and seemingly miss each other as they strike, then they stand still and one falls over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

Probably The Seven Samurai

There's no scene like that in Seven Samurai.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Slvbarek posted:

I always thought the first time it was done was in Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island.

I hope it's not. I tried watching Samurai I and it just didn't grab me for some reason.

Armyman25 posted:

When the sword master samurai, Kyuzo, is introduced, the duel he has is almost exactly like that. Also, the slow motion of the death of the thief that Kambei kills when he's introduced is also similiar.

I don't remember Kyuzo's battle being what I'm describing, I don't think they ran past each other. I think Kyuzo just cuts the guy down when he comes near and the guy freezes then dies, but I may be remembering it wrong. It probably comes close and was most likely a precursor to what I'm describing.

What I'm thinking of is two samurai who run past each other, striking as they pass one another, but you don't know who hit who. With their backs to each other there's this tense buildup where they're both still, then one falls over because he was masterfully hit by the other's sword when they passed.

It's totally stereotypically and is referenced in a ton of things, but I can't find an example. It bothers me because I've seen all these older samurai movies (except for the Mifune Samurai Trilogy) and not once have I seen what I'm describing.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 10, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

The standard noir cliche is a hard boiled guy doing something with bluesy saxophone music in the background. But most noir films have a standard orchestral score - so where did this cliche come from? The only thing I can think of Elevator to the Gallows, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first to do this.

Big Jim Nordberg posted:

Dont know if this is the right thread for "tell me the name of this movie" but here goes.

It was probably an 80's movie and im sure the guy was an alien but he looked human anyway whenever he did his alien thing (im sorry i dont remember what that even was, running or getting angry i dont know) the camera would show what he was seeing first in yellow then if he carried on doing it it would go blue then red and i think red meant he was close to dying or exploding? really scary to me as a kid.

The name Starman rings a bell but i know theres a film named that and it aint that.

This is the right thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344&pagenumber=50#lastpost

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 13, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

This doesn't really have to do with a specific movie, but I was browsing dvdbeaver and went to this page: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/reviews.htm

The reviews are sorted alphabetically, and a thumbnail with a picture links to each letter (the picture for M is from A Man Escaped, P has a picture of Passion of Joan of Arc, etc). I have no idea what some of them are, specifically I and L:

I'm sure it's going to turn out to be something obvious, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could identify these two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

I haven't seen this yet, but I'll take a wild guess on "I": The Insect Woman by Shohei Imamura.

Good guess, but The Insect Woman isn't listed in their reviews, so I don't think it's that. It certainly is a striking image, though.