Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Internet Gentleman posted:

Word of mouth could make or break a movie, and if you didn't catch it in the theater you were screwed.

This last line got me thinking and made me realize something, In this day and age we take the availability of movies for granted. I grew up in the early eighties when VCRs, video stores, and movie channels were just getting started but shortly before then you really had to see movies in theaters if you wanted to see them at all. Sure some movies would re-air on T.V. and some drive ins and local theaters would show older films but for many movies you had one chance to see them.

The average running time of a movie back then could be many months if not a year but after they were gone you had to luck out to see them again or for the first time if you missed it. Today if we want to watch an old classic like Ghostbusters again you can rent it, download it, get it On Demand, rent it at a local video store, Netflix it, simply go somewhere and buy your own copy, or just wait and sooner or later it will play on one of the hundreds of channels on T.V.. Imagine wanting to see that movie again and having to wait for a local theater to show it as a midnight movie or lucking out and catching it on the rare occasion that they show movies on network T.V.. Up until the invention of the VCR people must have gone years or even decades without seeing their favorite movies simply because they weren't available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Og Oggilby posted:

While it's flimsy, I really wish studios would make everything compact. There's no reason why a full sized DVD case needs to be used (instead of a thinpak) if it's only the disc.

If I had time and money to waste, I'd convert any DVD in an amaray case without a booklet into thinpak.

I'm annoyed by all the wasted space in releases. The recent Kubrick DVD box has no inserts, yet all in full amaray cases. It would have been great if they opted for 2-disc clear thinkpaks with the chapter listing printed on the inside.

This was bugging my dad as well since he has a massive collection of DVDs. In addition to the ones he buys he dubs hundreds of movies he records with his TiVo along with every movie he rents from his maxed out Netflix account. This quickly led to a lack of shelf space (he had a 8' by 5' shelving unit built into his living room for this purpose) and his solution was to order bulk CD cases that are as thin as Thinpacks like the ones DVDRs come in. He even wrote a program for printing inserts for the cases that features DVD cover art or movie poster images along with spine info and a synopsis with cast and crew on the back. The entire collection is databased by genre, actor, director, or whatever so you can find a movie on any of the computers in his house. Last I visited (last Christmas) the collection was pushing a thousand movies and was steadily growing each week. This is what happens when a pothead computer scientist with more money and time than sense retires.