Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just recently watched Snow White for the first time, and I'd like some context about how innovative it was for its time.

Was Snow White the first portrayal of realistically proportioned humans in a cartoon?

Was it the first dramatic (non-comical) cartoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When they convert films for PAL, do they speed it up 4%?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Recently rewatched Dr Strangelove.

- Is there any significance to Dr Strangelove being a former Nazi?

- If I understand correctly, the entire apocalypse triggered because Ripper was upset about his impotence and blamed the commies for it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You mean beyond the obvious?
My apologies, but I'm not sure what the obvious answer is here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok. I was wondering if there was some essential plot significance, but I guess not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The worldview change between Star Trek I and II is astoundingly polar

Star Trek I is about cocky we're-so-smart smug assholes who go around the galaxy, encounter the strongest, most intelligent thing anyone in the known universe has ever seen and once they meet it they go "pshh, it's just a stupid kid looking for its mommy"

The movie disappoints at the box office, and Roddenberry's taken off the driver's seat, to be replaced by Bennett and Meyer. Nimoy says "please kill me in the next movie because I'm tired of this poo poo"

Star Trek II comes along and tells the tale of Kirk being forced to admit he doesn't know everything. Faced with the no-win scenario that he cheated out of in the past, he doesn't know what to do now. Spock, who for the length of the entire series was trumped up as cold logic personified, is the one who lays down his life to save everyone else, a display of human compassion that completely humbles Kirk.

edit: VVVVVV

Meyer then refused to work on III because he insisted that Spock should stay dead. After the damage was already done, he came back to work on IV. Then he skipped V because Shatner insisted on directing and writing (Nimoy directed IV, and Shatner's contract said anything Nimoy gets to do, he gets to do too). Then he came back to work on VI.

This is why, until recently, the Star Trek Even Numbered Movie Rule existed.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 26, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'd also like to add that VI continues on Meyer's "Kirk needs to grow up" theme from II, brings about actual universe-changing events and is a decent end-of-cold-war movie. IMO, the second best Trek movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

Speaking of Terminator 2, why does the T-1000 show up naked? His clothes are made from his body.

And if the T-800 can smuggle a metal skeleton inside a flesh body, why didn't it bring back some guns stuffed inside a pig carcass?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fayez Butts posted:

Maybe the flesh has to be living?

If Skynet can make human clones that can can live while having a robot inside them, I'm sure Skynet can make living pig suitcases.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Why did movies look so muddy in the 70's? We had high contrast color movies in the decades before, but then for some reason a lot of 70's movies just look blurry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Kurosawa, would anyone be interested in a "movie genealogy" thread? I'm always fascinated to find out where movies copied aspects of their story and where they got inspiration for some of their iconic images.

One of the goals of such a thread would to be to find films as temporally close together as possible so that everyone won't just point to Kurosawa and skip over several movies in between...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 30, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Before King's Speech, were there other films where they had two concurrent versions of the same film playing, with different MPAA ratings?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow, different times...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saturday_night_fever_pg_version_movie_poster.jpg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
To add to the ADR chat from the last page, I just rewatched Godfather and holy poo poo it had some really bad ADR. The two that stuck out to me were Barzini during the peace summit and Connie's screaming at Michael over her husband getting killed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What is the point of Godfather I and II?

Before, my understanding of the second film was that they juxtaposed Vito's rise to power and the attrition of Michael's family to show how things went well for Vito because he cared about people on a personal level and that Michael's coldness caused his family to fall apart. However, watching them again recently, it occurred to me that a lot of the poo poo Michael had to deal with (esp Tessio's betrayal) was brewing during Vito's reign, and maybe Vito was just blind to it or lucky that it didn't come to a head during his lifetime.

How would you guys interpret the comparison of Vito and Michael in the second film?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's about what I mean by point.

Up until recently I assumed that Vito and Michael are shown in parallel in order to show that Vito was doing things right and that Michael is doing things wrong.

However, upon rewatching recently, it occurred to me that a lot of the betrayals that happened to Michael were betrayals that were brewing while Vito was alive: Tessio, Vito's old friend, was planning to betray the Corleones to Barzini while Vito was alive. Carlo betrays the Corleones to Barzini during Vito's reign.

It kind of weakened the idea that Vito was doing things right, so now I'm wondering, if Vito wasn't always doing things right, what is the point of comparing Vito to Michael?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

The proximate cause for the conflict is Corleone's unwillingness to become involved in the drug trade, a position I presume that audiences in general would be sympathetic toward.

This clears up everything for me. Thanks for the insight

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

Oh poo poo when is this happening? I need to finish party down!

February, unless they negotiate something

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 14, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The North Tower posted:

Did Gothe just luck out and shoot the right person or was the little kid just that ballsy/smart?

Edit: http://www.anyclip.com/movies/schindlers-list/stolen-chicken/

I assume the kid was being clever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's called a Dolly Zoom. Generally used to show a change in mental state:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svEPWBxpYjo

But sometimes for other uses (like making a hallway magically turn longer):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuCTVJMdQA

edit: that Raging Bull one is fantastically well done

edit: some more examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vm54QL8iZc

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 18, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Never heard of this guy before, but that was INSANE.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What's incredible is that he loving SOMERSAULTED under a bunch of horse rigging and somehow survived at the end instead of turning into a human pretzel. Seriously, how the gently caress.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

penismightier posted:

You probably have to read the whole thread.

The whole point is that the western as a genre was ABOUT something. It was an exploration of good and evil through the role of the heroic gunslinger, who represented many things in many movies, but was conceived as a figure of absolute good. Look at Shane, or My Darling Clementine, or any of the poverty row oaters. As time went on, films like The Naked Spur and the Searchers began to question to that - they wondered how a character whose life is predicated on violence and isolation can be a true force of good. The spaghetti westerns went further - they established him as good only inasmuch as he wasn't actively BAD.

So for 90+ years, filmmakers were chipping away at the idea of the heroic gunslinger. Unforgiven, in its last act, takes the final steps and makes him into a to-the-bone villain. And by framing it as a story about a man's return to his roots and showing him against the flag, Unforgiven tells us that in a way, the heroic gunslinger always WAS a villain.

Later westerns like, for example, Tombstone are fine movies but don't have any mythic qualities, because they've stopped believing in the defining ethos of the genre. I singled out There Will Be Blood because along with a few others (No Country, The Proposition) it seemed to be reaching a new myth, but I think it fell short in the end because it didn't have any conviction.

Does that clear it up any?

Huh, that's pretty interesting.

When I watched the film, I didn't get the sense that Will Munny represented the myth of the gunslinger, I took the story to be about how overzealous and misguided enforcement of the law (Hackman) can cause former criminals to turn to crime again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Honestly with everything wrong with Tron Legacy, digital Jeff Bridges not looking "right" isn't really a problem since he's not supposed to be real.

There's a shot of him in real life talking to his young son that looked fake.

But I agree with you that everyone in the digital world should have looked like Jeff Bridges. Including the women.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Where would one go about buying a 35mm film projector and about how much do they run? I have a bunch of 35mm reels I'd like to check out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Got to see the longer version of Haxan at the Silent Movie Theater in LA. I was expecting to roll my eyes but was pleasantly surprised.

Detective Thompson posted:

The Hays Code at least forced writers to find ways around certain prohibited things, and some of them came up with some drat sharp stuff.

A musician friend of mine said that he feels more creative when he's in a badly equipped studio because the limitations force him to think more. I like how this idea applies to film as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Post the pics and we'll have a look

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dp

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 20, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's been a while, but I also dont remember anything more than a very general "he has a lot of useful info" and not anything in specific

They kind of painted themselves into a corner and had to keep covering up things as time went on

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Watching Lawrence of Arabia.

"I fight like Clausewitz, then you fight like Saxe"
"We should do very well then, shouldn't we?"

What does this mean?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, YEAH, but I was wondering if there was anything that the two symbolized other than just being badasses.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Handsome Dead posted:

Is there anywhere that has a list of things changed in dialogue for other languages? I'm thinking along the lines of in Men in Black when J says "NYPD means Knock Your Punkass Down" and how that would have been changed into, say, German.

Well, in Toy Story 3 when Buzz goes from speaking English to Spanish... in Latin American markets they made it so he went from speaking Spanish with a Latin American accent to a parody of Spain Spanish. Then in Spain they made it so he went from speaking Castillian to Andalusian

I am very curious how they changed the partially-obscured-subtitles joke in Austin Powers 3 in international markets come to think of it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 22, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, there WAS a youtube showing all the versions but it got taken down by Pixar...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are there any good online articles analyzing Solaris?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

KyloWinter posted:

I'm not sure if this is the wrong thread but I'll post here anyways.

I am trying to find the movie trailer that goes with this description. I think it is some thriller type movie that come out within the last year. There aren't any sound effects from the movie in the shown scenes put there is this constant pinging throughout the trailer that makes the transition from one scene clip to another. There is also some intense talking in between pings. Does this vague description ring a bell for anyone?
Can you name any actors who were in it?

edit: come to think of it, the "ping" you heard may have been a high piano key

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 29, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Every time someone brings up live action ADR I think of that scene in Godfather where Connie comes in screaming about how Michael killed her husband and thinking that they must've recorded it in a bathroom.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Recently watched The Right Stuff for the first time since I was a kid.

Am I imagining things, or is the movie pretty much saying that all the initial astronauts sucked and that Chuck Yeager was way better than any of them?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This is a movie forum, go ask GWS

Edit: lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone know anything about Lawrence of Arabia being in theaters in 70mm this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oct 4, last I heard, but I guess theater locations are TBA.